CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Chevrolet Sonic is fairly new & is already showing an early trend of transmission problems.

Owners report hesitation when shifting & grinding/hard shifting into gears. Some dealers are calling the condition "normal". Another owner reported his dealership replaced the transmission under warranty, but the new transmission had the same exact grinding problem. Design defect?

9.0

2012 Chevrolet Sonic electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic:

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Apr 112012

Sonic LT 1.8L 4 cyl 6speed Trans

click to see larger images

no check engine light or codes no check engine light or codes no check engine light or codes no check engine light or codes no check engine light or codes no check engine light or codes

I've been having Transmission Hesitation issues since April of 2012. Every time I take it in to the Service Department, there are NO CODES, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT coming on. They've explained to me how the Engine Control Module (ECM) and Transmission Control Module (TCM) work, and how they function in shifting the gears over at the appropriate points. I suggested that maybe, just maybe there was something wrong with the computer itself, that just maybe there's some sort of glitch in the vehicle's main computer, and that's why no check engine light or codes show up. They tried to tell me that there's absolutely NO WAY that could EVER happen, that it would be a One in One Million chance of that ever possible happening.

Well guess what... MAYBE YOU'RE ALL WRONG!!! Why then do I have photographic and video recorded proof of the vehicle operating abnormally. You can never duplicate the same thing as the photos and videos, but there's nothing wrong?!?!?!?!

- , Traverse City, Michigan, USA

Feb 222012

Sonic 2LT 1.8L DOHC

No check engine light has ever come on, not when vehicle has stalled, when vehicle has had difficulty starting and staying started, not during transmission slips or hesitation or during surging. DEFECT!!! EXTREMELY DANGEROUS DEFECT!!!! My vehicle has had multiple issues. Stalls while moving and at a dead stop. engine power loss while trying to accelerate turning left at intersection, almost caused me to get hit, then once i floored it and it kicked in it surged me forward almost up the curb and straight into a pole, able to correct last minute with jerking the steering. Today, attempted to crank and once final able to start, it sounded like an old pick without gas about to die first thing in the morning, my car visibly shook so much I could see the wheels moving back and forth. Once stabilized it idled itself high and low. According to a different dealer this morning, no codes in system for what happened. no codes and no light! Still refusing to replace or fix. Apparently there is no re coarse for a vehicle that may have a defective computer module. Next time I may not be able to be so quick or have the room to correct the steering and people will read about a fatal accident due to vehicle defect!

- , Springfield, Missouri, USA