CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Chevrolet Sonic is fairly new & is already showing an early trend of transmission problems.

Owners report hesitation when shifting & grinding/hard shifting into gears. Some dealers are calling the condition "normal". Another owner reported his dealership replaced the transmission under warranty, but the new transmission had the same exact grinding problem. Design defect?

2012 Chevrolet Sonic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic:

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Jan 312016

Sonic

On 1/31/2016 a vehicle pulled out in front of me. The first and biggest issue was the airbag never went off and the seat belt tensioners did not lock the belts either. I went forward and hit my head on the steering wheel rendering me unconscious!!! almost the whole front end had to be replaced e.g.: grill and front panel, left and right front quarter panels, radiator, both wheel wells, suspension on both sides and everything that goes with those plus a whole lot of other things like the radiator, coolant and washer tanks etc. Etc.... this was a full-frontal wreck and not a single airbag went off!!! secondly are the ABS and traction control. The roads were a little slick so I had the tc on. When I hit my brakes all they did, have done since I bought the car, and continue to do to this day, is immediately lock up! I had zero control of my car. This car has, by far, the worst ABS system I have ever used. The tc is complete sh*t, too!!! thirdly, every time I start the car the engine seems to misfire or something! it rattles and shakes the whole car, hard!!! after a few seconds it seems to find it's groove and idles normally. I have brought the car in to the local Chevy dealership where I purchased the car to address these problems. All they tell me is they are design and/or manufacturing flaws. They said I can pay to fix these issues with my own money or wait and see if the issues become recalls. Which, according to my research, have not yet. To me, these are some pretty big safety issues the manufacturer should be addressing!!! and why aren't they"???" I have photos of the accident, but can't seem to find them anywhere. I'll come back if I find them.

- Kingsford, MI, USA

Jan 062016

Sonic

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic. The contact stated that the seat belt latch that attaches the seat belt to the vehicle seat fractured on the driver side and became detached. The contact stated that the passenger side seat belt experienced the same fracture. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the seat belt needed to be replaced. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle would be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 145,573.

- North East, MD, USA