CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Chevrolet Sonic is fairly new & is already showing an early trend of transmission problems.

Owners report hesitation when shifting & grinding/hard shifting into gears. Some dealers are calling the condition "normal". Another owner reported his dealership replaced the transmission under warranty, but the new transmission had the same exact grinding problem. Design defect?

8.0

1. replace sway bar link (3 reports)
2012 Chevrolet Sonic suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic:

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Dec 242014

Sonic LT 1.4L

I've had my Chevy Sonic for 2.5 years and bought it new. The first time I had this problem was approximately 1 year ago and had it fixed under warranty. About a month ago the exact same problem started AGAIN! There's a loud clunking noise that starts out slow, like only when you hit a bump or go over RR tracks. It is now at the point of rattling all the time and it's extremely annoying. I was told it is not a recall issue and that I will just have to get it fixed again, however now it's not under warranty. It's very upsetting! I don't live in an area where there's lots of bumpy roads and I don't drive my 1.4 liter like a race car, so I just don't see how this issue could happen twice within the first couple years of owning a new car. Completely dis-satisfied with my 2012 Chevy Sonic!

- , Southern Pines, NC, USA

Aug 102014

Sonic L8

Clunking sounds constant and considered at dealership to be annoying but not a recall. Like your eggs over easy and they bring em to ya scrambled.

- , Roseville, CA, USA

Aug 042014

Sonic LX 4 cyl

SO MY FRONT END IS MAKING A KLUNKING NOISE. I TAKE IT TO A SHOP NEAR MY HOME AND THEY SAY OH ITS THE SWAY BAR NOT AN EMERGENCY TO FIX BUT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER THERE IS A RECALL ON 12 SONIC SWAY BARS. SO I CALL TOM GILL CHEVROLET HERE IN FLORENCE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR THE "RECALL" TAKE MY CAR INTO THE SHOP AND 7 HRS LATER THEY CALL AND SAY THE SWAY BAR RECALL ISN'T ON "MY" MODEL AND IT WILL BE OVER $350 TO FIX THE ISSUE. THEY THEN CHARGED ME $109 FOR JUST LOOKING AT MY CAR AND DOING NO WORK ON IT. I HAVEN'T GOT THE BAR FIXED BECAUSE MY MECHANIC SAID IT WAS NOTHING SERIOUS MY WHEEL ISN'T GOING TO FALL OFF SO I AM WAITING FOR THE RECALL TO BE ON "MY" MODEL ...LOL WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE AND WHY ISN'T MINE COVERED? CUZ I HAVE ROLL UP WINDOWS AND MY CAR IS A PIECE OF SH*T? I DON'T UNDERSTAND! I HAVE A COMPLAINT INTO GM RECALLS 888-327-4231 AND THE BBB I HATE THE 12 SONIC WORST CAR EVER!

- , Florence, KY, USA

Aug 282012

Sonic LTZ

one of a series of problems made worse by inconvenience of dealership location and ineptness of service dept.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA