CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Chevrolet Sonic is fairly new & is already showing an early trend of transmission problems.

Owners report hesitation when shifting & grinding/hard shifting into gears. Some dealers are calling the condition "normal". Another owner reported his dealership replaced the transmission under warranty, but the new transmission had the same exact grinding problem. Design defect?

8.0

1. replace sway bar link (2 reports)
2012 Chevrolet Sonic suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic:

2012 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Aug 042014

Sonic LX 4 cyl

SO MY FRONT END IS MAKING A KLUNKING NOISE. I TAKE IT TO A SHOP NEAR MY HOME AND THEY SAY OH ITS THE SWAY BAR NOT AN EMERGENCY TO FIX BUT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER THERE IS A RECALL ON 12 SONIC SWAY BARS. SO I CALL TOM GILL CHEVROLET HERE IN FLORENCE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR THE "RECALL" TAKE MY CAR INTO THE SHOP AND 7 HRS LATER THEY CALL AND SAY THE SWAY BAR RECALL ISN'T ON "MY" MODEL AND IT WILL BE OVER $350 TO FIX THE ISSUE. THEY THEN CHARGED ME $109 FOR JUST LOOKING AT MY CAR AND DOING NO WORK ON IT. I HAVEN'T GOT THE BAR FIXED BECAUSE MY MECHANIC SAID IT WAS NOTHING SERIOUS MY WHEEL ISN'T GOING TO FALL OFF SO I AM WAITING FOR THE RECALL TO BE ON "MY" MODEL ...LOL WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE AND WHY ISN'T MINE COVERED? CUZ I HAVE ROLL UP WINDOWS AND MY CAR IS A PIECE OF SH*T? I DON'T UNDERSTAND! I HAVE A COMPLAINT INTO GM RECALLS 888-327-4231 AND THE BBB I HATE THE 12 SONIC WORST CAR EVER!

- , Florence, KY, USA

Aug 282012

Sonic LTZ

one of a series of problems made worse by inconvenience of dealership location and ineptness of service dept.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA