5.6

2013 Chevrolet Sonic miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Sonic:

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Sonic

Rough idle at stop and sluggish propulsion while driving to where it can become dangerous while merging onto freeway traffic and busy city streets. Upon further investigation on online forums, there is a mass issue with the air intake tube/hose from air box to throttle body. The issue being major cracking or holes in the tube/hose causing too much airflow. This cracking happens sometimes before or after the O2 sensor. The cracking I found happened to be after my O2 sensor, therefore not even triggering the check engine system to activate.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Dec 142013

Sonic

The car hesatates, the radio some times does't come on, the seat belts do not tien up when you buckle up, and the seats are very low to the ground for a handicap person

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Aug 052016

Sonic

Shift button sticking. Key stuck in the ignition unable to remove. Car can not be put on full park which is causing engine and battery to fail. Electronic key release not working. This is a huge safety issue as the park can easily move becuase it's not fully parked due to ignition key failiure. This is a manufacturer defect but there hasn't been a recalled so we had to pay out of pocket to fix.

- Burbank, CA, USA

May 012016

Sonic

While driving my car for the past year now I have noticed my RPM gauge sticking and revving on its own. It is starting to happen more consistently. When I'm driving downhill the RPM gauge will rev high and stay stuck high. Then when I put the car in park it will rev high on its own and stay stuck and eventually come back down. Something new I have started to experience is when I'm at a complete stop the RPM gauge will start revving up and down on it's own while my car lights brighten and dim and my warning light comes on that I'm sliding which is impossible since I'm at a complete stop. I have also noticed the transmission has started to feel jerky lately with everything else. I just purchased this vehicle almost 2 years ago and I only have 58,000 miles on it.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 032016

Sonic

The gear shift button sticks when in gear or park.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 062016

Sonic

My Chevy Sonic has had a clicking noise since I purchased it. It goes dead when gas cap is removed and will not crank back. I had it worked on at a dealership $306 later it is still doing the exact same things. I purchased vehicle with 21 miles on it. I am on the road for my job. This vehicle has been a headache since purchase. I cannot afford another payment. Sure cant afford the bill from the shop when it doesn't fix any of the problems. The vehicle has had to be jumped off to start. I purchased new battery even when auto parts store tested old battery and stated it was good and alternator was charging. I am furious. What is a honest person to do"???"when dealership doesn't hold up to correcting the problem. Nothing to them it ruins your credit, not their name. I have had to be towed due to vehicle not cranking even when being jumped off. Help!!! dealership/GM should be honest and fix the problems. Apparently they don't value repeat customers!!!

- Ellijay, GA, USA

Apr 052016

Sonic

When the you start the car, it hops, jerks roughly, and it takes longer than what it should to start even in fair weather. Hesitates to shift, jerks into gear, very slow (unsafe on highway), a gutless wonder, and acts as if the transmission is slipping when the real issue is unknown. It shakes and shutters, this was a continuation off of the Chevy aveo platform. The Chevy aveo did not have these type of issues. I'm afraid that if this vehicle is continued to be driven, you wouldn't be able to get out an emergency scenario due to the sluggishness, it's an absolute gutless wonder. And again, it's unsafe to drive on the highway. Doesn't want to go into 2nd gear too well, which is why I said it's unsafe on the highway especially. All around a slow and unreliable car, it is devastating

- Schoolcraft, MI, USA

Jan 152016

Sonic

When I have a passenger in my car the light will stay off for the airbag and so will the sat belt light when I am seating still anywhere from a parking spot to a stop light anywhere my car will idel up to 2500-3000 rpms and my feet re on the break and clutch if I dont watch closely and let the break off any my car will take off

- Lewsiville, OH, USA

Jun 152015

Sonic

The gear shift button sticks when in gear or park.

- Neodesha, KS, USA

Feb 022015

Sonic

Vehicle has been losing coolant for last six months. There is a strong odor of coolant inside and outside of the vehicle and there is water inside cabin air filter box. Dealer acknowledged the issue and inspected vehicle with a GM engineer, but could not find the cause of either issue.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Aug 082014

Sonic 4-cyl

Cpsc:I1480205A. 2013 Chevy Sonic. Consumer stated that he is having problems with the key fob for is car. The consumer stated he hit the key fob fairly hard which caused the key to turn, and the vehicle shut off.

- Gardner, MA, USA

Jul 252014

Sonic 4-cyl

Car is smoking from engine and exhaust and creating extreme heat.

- Hammond , IN, USA