2013 Chevrolet Sonic steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Sonic:

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Nov 082016

Sonic

Takata recall, my car has been hit in the front end 3 times and the last time was a hard hit, none of the times have I had an airbag come out.

- Nevada, MO, USA

Jul 142015

Sonic

I've had this car for only 2 years and there is always something wrong. First I was driving and it just shut off all the light on dash board went off and from that point on nothing on the steering wheel works. No horn and none of the controls of it are working. My passenger air bag light stays on. Been in the shop 3 times still not working. Now the warning light of over heating come on everytime I have to still in traffic on my way home or driving for a over an hour, have to turn the heater on, on high to get the light and warning beeping to stop. It's already 90°, but if I don't the car start shaking. The reason I bought a newer car was to not have to put it on the shop every 4 months. So no horn, cruise control, not sure if air bag work on passenger side and to top it off have to ride with the heat on while it's 90°outside to make it home safe, ,(I think, ,).. I call GM customer services over and over again, and they tell me there is not other problems with other cars. My warranty is expired. So it's on me.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 122016

Sonic

Faulty computer/recalls I purchased the used vehicle 2 years ago and a month after the check engine light came on. I have brought this back to the dealer multiple times to fix, but it keeps happening. It is not an issue with my engine, but rather the computer. Because of the faulty computer issue, it has caused other issues in my car, including faulty reading and my inability to know if something dangerous actually was occurring in my vehicle. I am very frustrated, because this keeps happening and each year I have to deal with this issue to get my car inspected.

- North Reading, MA, USA

Jan 292015

Sonic

Car is completely unsafe at highway speed the steering is way to touchy any slight movement and the car is all over the place. The car doesn't stay in a straight line it either goes right or left. Alignment check done everything is great and got new tires. I'm part of the Sonic owners forum and this issue isn't every Sonic it does seem to be very widespread though as you can just check the lemon law website. Something is wrong with this electric power steering don't know why they switched from hydraulic. These systems are unsafe and failure prone. I can't keep the car in a straight line at highway speeds but at normal speeds it's a lot easier to keep it straight but sometimes it does wander a tiny bit. People probably think I'm intoxicated because I'm wandering and trying to keep the car in a straight line.

- Deland, FL, USA

Jun 052015

Sonic

In 2014 when the car was still under warranty...the car was taken to dealer multiple times and the issue was car applied brakes automatically when turning certain corners...the issue was never fixed and complaints were filed with GM for record purposes in case of an incident and as an attempt to get car fixed....while this is not the exact problem occurring at the present time...it is a steering type problem...now the power steering goes out and momentarily comes back on.

- Auberry, CA, USA

Feb 202014

Sonic

While backing out of my drive way my steering wheel locked. The power to the car was on but the power steering would not work. I called a tow truck and it was taken to the dealership for service. The dealership has had my car for 3 months and will not release it because it has been declared unsafe to drive. The dealership put me in a rental car and I haven't heard from them since. No one will return my calls or answer my questions.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Oct 082013

Sonic

I had this car as a rental. While doing something with the radio, I somehow hit the key in the ignition. The key then turned to the left causing the engine to turn off. In the span of a day. I did this 3 times. Once was while making a wide turn onto a freeway. Luckily, no one was behind me when I had to suddenly stop to restart the car.

- San Diego, CA, USA