5.0

2014 Chevrolet Sonic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Sonic:

2014 Chevrolet Sonic Owner Comments

Nov 242016

Sonic

During last two months we had go to the dealer four time and three of these due to the engine noise and overheating. Last week smelled like fire and due to the gas inside the car we had to parking. When review the engine, there was not colant in it. The noise never stopped and some sensor were on during some days. This car is used for a pregnan woman and girls and are not safety for us for this reason we went to the dealer to see the posibility to change the car. So far, we waiting for the solution.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Sep 012016

Sonic

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle made an abnormal noise coming from the transmission and engine. The dealer diagnosed the vehicle, but could not find a failure. In addition, while driving 45 mph, the engine sensor and temperature warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle started to emit smoke under the hood and was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but not repaired. The failure recurred numerous times. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 021919

Sonic

Vehicle lunges at a stop when in first gear.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jun 012015

Sonic

Car cuts out, grinding noise from engine. Had ignition coil replaced but still doing the same thing. Looses power going up steep hill. Only had car about seven months. Only has sixteen thousand miles on it. Sometimes while I am driving car just looses power and almost got hit in the back. I feel one of these days someone will hit me. Took it back to dealership and they say nothing is wrong but the problem is getting worse. The car does have warranty on it.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Nov 102015

Sonic

I just purchased my 2014 Chevy Sonic lt hatchback a month ago. First the day I bought it I found out I had a reverse light out. The dealer said they would fix it when the license plant cover bracket comes in. The same day I got the car I smelled something burning. I told them about it an they said if it keeps doing it to let them know an my passenger side brakes fell like they are dragging. They said it should come out of it do to sitting for awhile. Well I'm still experiencing it. My oil percentage drops far down when driving for 2 hrs on the highway. The burning smell comes in threw the vents an outside even when the ac or heater is on. Something is not right. I only have 39,000 miles when I bought it a moth ago with 32,000 miles. The dealer said it went through an expectation an everything came back ok when I purchased the car that day. How can that be with burning smell, lights out an only one side of wheel that I'm getting a dragging, grinding noises. They well be looking at it in the next 2week. When I'm driving my transmission feels like its skipping. The acceleration is so off.

- Dakota City, IA, USA

Sep 122015

Sonic

I had taken the key out of the ignition and it was very hot about the end of July. On Friday August 11, I noticed a pause in the car starting the a sound of a knock leaving work. I arrived home around 6:00 P.M. parked in my drive way for the day. I was awaken Saturday morning by my neighbor be made my car was on fire. This was determined by lawrence fire department of an engine fire.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 182014

Sonic 4-cyl

I was driving down a long, steep bridge at a cautious speed and reached over to adjust the radio volume. When I placed my right hand back on the steering wheel something didn't feel right so I quickly verified that I had brakes and lights, but no engine power. I shifted into neutral and restarted the engine. The only reason for the engine failure that I could figure out at the time was that I had jarred the key chain with my coat sleeve, inadvertently turning off the engine. This was a rental car and the two sets of keys had been permanently crimped together by a cable. I had called the rental company a few hours after picking up the car at the airport to find out how to separate the keys and was told this was intentionally done to keep the sets together in case the car was dropped off at a different location. A month or so later I learned of the government investigation of the defective ignition switch in GM vehicles that could turn off the car if jostled or weighed down by a heavy key ring. The car was a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic. Fortunately it didn't lead to an accident, but it was a close call and was made even more frightening due to the position on the bridge. From now on I will not rent any GM cars and will insist that the key chains be separated.

- Del Mar, CA, USA