2013 Chevrolet Spark drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Spark:

2013 Chevrolet Spark Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 112016

Car would not accelerate beyond 30 mph in a 50 mph zone.... I had to turn my hazards on and was scared to drive it any further. There was no warning signs or indications of any issues prior. Completely out of the blue! googled recalls and there is one on defective transmission for this make model year but not on my VIN...... did they miss me?

- Imperial, MO, USA

Apr 122016

On two occasions there has been a sudden loss of acceleration. This happened after making a stop at a stop sign/traffic light at a main highway intersection. The RPM's went up but there was no acceleration at all (I was just barely coasting maybe 3 mph)! once I was at a safe place to pull off the road, I put the car in park, turned the car off and back on and the acceleration was fine. This almost caused an accident each time. The dealership said, because there were no codes given when they checked the vehicle and no service bulletins posted, there was nothing they could do. This is a very dangerous malfunction and I hope that someone takes the initiative to investigate the issue before a serious accident happens!

- Dayton, OH, USA

Mar 162016

Under emergency braking from 45mph the gear shifter slit forward to neutral without operator input.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Mar 212015

After accelerating from a light at 5mph the gear indicator disappeared and the transmission stuck in 2nd gear verified by revs vs. Vehicle speed. Resulted in very slow acceleration and high revs. Cycling the gear shifter did not resolve issue. Would not even shift to neutral. Issue not resolved until cycling ignition. No check engine light, no indicator lamps. No gear selection indicator on display.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jan 052016

While driving on the freeway my car suddenly lost all acceleration power. It ran 5K rpms to go 55 mph and the traction control light was on and the engine malfunction light was blinking. This has been an ongoing problem for a week and the dealership cannot figure out how to fix it. Sometimes the lights stay on and sometimes they go off even though I continue to have loss of acceleration and ridiculously high rpms to travel 35-55mph.

- Troy, MI, USA

Jan 122015

Started car, drove to work at varying speeds. Engine revved high during entire 30 minute drive. Parked, engine off for 8 hours. When I came out to go home, car was running fine. I haven't had another episode since.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Mar 032014

Vehicle won't shift out of first gear. Not only is this very dangerous, but it is ruining the engine and transmission of the vehicle. This occurs about once a month at random times, and could very easily cause an accident. The dealer won't do anything to fix the problem, and has been very rude to my wife. I have been a lifelong Chevy guy, but I think I'm finally done. A Toyota or Honda is sounding really good right now!

- Mason, MI, USA

Feb 042015

Spark 4-cyl

May have been happening before above date but did not realize it....on dashboard there is no indication of which gear I am in(ie P D N R) and car has no pickup even when peddle to floor...when it does start moving it is very, very, very slow....noticed this several times and when it went in for hood latch recall asked them to check....of course they could not duplicate(recall was not done as to lack of parts) still was occurring occasionally.....went back again for recall latch work(done this time 3-11-15) when leaving check engine light was on...was told it was safe to drive, but I showed them the dashboard was not indicating gear...left it with them they R&R park neutral switch which they stated was filled with water.....this was very dangerous to me, at first I could either turn car off and restart to see indicator on dash or run thru the gears, but right before engine light came on I could do none of this/have read about this numerous times on a site call you

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 142015

Spark 4-cyl

On 02-09-15 the vehicle was purchase with the current warranty & an extended warranty. The vehicle had low mileage at purchase date. Prior to the purchase we reviewed the vehicle history report and mentioned only a hood latch repair and did not mention 09-04-14 a recall repair on the PCV valve #4 Spark, replacement and reprogramming. As we started off on our trip the dash was reading 39 mpg, that was great! further into the trip before getting on the highway the tire pressure light came on. We check the tires they were fine. Thinking it may have been the cold weather per the manual. We continued on to our trip. On the way back home the mpg was at 34 and then all of a sudden the car went in to low gear on the highway! the traction control came on, check engine light came on and a number of other lights came on. We had to ride the shoulder until we got to an exit and drove into a gas station. Calling road side assistance for a tow. The vehicle did not have a enough power to drive onto the tow truck. It was later discovered at the car dealer (not the one we purchased from) the repairs that were done on the vehicle and not disclosed to us when purchasing the vehicle. The defect was burning excessive oil. The recall repair on the PCV had other manufacture defects. It's been 10 days and the car has not been repaired. I had contacted GM and asked what was done to correct the issue I currently have and the previous owner had. They were very professional and told me they will create a service request file and to call them when a diagnostics is completed, in short they did not answer my question. They already had record of the first repair on the PCV recall. The dealer where the car is located told us the pistons have to be replaced and don't know when it will be done. A loaner was given so we could get back home 200+ miles. Our first payment is due & no car.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Nov 152014

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. While driving at approximately 5 mph and shifting into first gear, the vehicle started to shutter and attempted to stall. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 012014

TL-the contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate over 50 mph. The vehicle was restarted and resumed to normal function. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000. Djr

- Richmond , VA, USA

Dec 192014

The car has been having clutch issues. Shifting into first gear from a stop causes the whole car to shake. This happens after mainly long drives. Driving back from boston MA, there was very heavy traffic which required me to stop and start frequently on the highway. Each time I had to start, the car shook violently and felt as it were going to stall. This makes it impossible to drive safely, as it does this when pulling out into traffic as well. Dealer said this would most likely not be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. The car is new and this should not be an issue. This issue is documented in many online forms as "intermittent clutch shudder".

- Newmarket , NH, USA

Dec 222014

Started hard then when driving it wouldn't shift gears. This is the second time it has done this.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Aug 232013

Spark 4-cyl

Car stalls will put the pedal to the metal and will not advance. It will start to move slow after a while not reaching full speed. Transmission gear display will be blank in dash console. Car moves at a very high RPM reading. Transmission will kick if set on neutral and then shif to drive. This has happen twice in the short amount of time that we owe the car. The problem is that we have taken the car twice to the dealer but is working fine at such time so they can not detect the problem. First time it happen my wife was at a stop light and when it happen to me I had just started the car. This is a very serious and hazardous situation.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Apr 012014

TL-the contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle would not accelerate past 20 mph. The contact restarted the vehicle in order for it to function as normal. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Djr

- Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 292013

Spark 4-cyl

Vehicle will surge forward while in gear. Vehicle also will surge in neutral causing rpms to rise. This occurs after initially starting the vehicle and driving for approximately ten minutes. Does not matter if the vehicle has not been started for a long or short period of time. When the vehicle surges it seems to be at 1/4 throttle.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Dec 172013

Spark 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph, the transmission failed to shift gears properly. Additionally, the speedometer reading fluctuated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The radio stayed on after the vehicle was turned off and the door was opened. The approximate failure mileage was 14,000.

- Whitebille, NC, USA

Apr 162014

Chevrolet Spark would no shift out of 1st gear when acelerating on to freeway. The cause is due to defective transmission range sensor dtc error code P0705. Known service bulletin (#pip-5101). This is the 3rd time this has occurred. Extreme life threating problem when a vehicle is merging the freeway and will not acelerate to the speed of freeway traffic!!!!!!!! Chevrolet dealer has not resolved the issue.

- Flint, MI, USA

Nov 222013

On multiple occasions I have driven my car and parked it. When I have returned to the car it will not start. On star diagnostics tells me there is a problem with the transmission, engine and anti brake system and that I am to get it to the dealer/repair immediately. I have had to wait several hours before I can get it started again. I have been in situations where I am in an areas without phone or cell reception to call for help. It has been to the dealer repair shop 4 times and they are unable to correct the problem. They say until they can replicate the problem - they cannot fix it. Finally with this last (4th) visit they were able to replicate the problem twice. But I was informed they have no idea where the problem is coming from and they have no solution at this time. They will return the car to me after 9 days as is with no fix. I am afraid to drive across Colorado for fear I will be stranded.

- Edwards, CO, USA

Feb 062014

Upon starting the car, the check engine light and the traction light lit up. The car was in park on a flat and paved surface. After putting the car in reverse, the car suddenly jerked and did the same as I put it into drive. As I was driving the car was up to 3000 rpms and would not go over 30 mph. The car would not shift gears. I pulled over and shut the car off. When I restarted the vehicle, no lights lit up and it performed fine the rest of the way home. When I took it to the dealership the next day to have it looked at, they only found a code for misfiring coils. They also stated that they believe this is not the issue I am having but due to Chevrolet warranty, they could not look into it without a certain code to pop up in the system.

- Cleveland, GA, USA