2013 Chevrolet Spark engine NHTSA complaints: Vehicle Speed Control

NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2013 Chevrolet Spark engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Spark:

2013 Chevrolet Spark Owner Comments

Oct 012013

Spark

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph enagaging the brakes, the vehicle suddenly accelerated causing the vehicle to crash into the side of another vehicle. Also, the contact indicated that during the crash the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was examined by the insurance investigator who indicated that no defect was found with the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 22,000. Updated 09/11/14

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

May 252014

Spark 4-cyl

My husband was pulling the Chevy Spark into a parking place when four people decided to cross over it. When the brake was applied to allow them to safely pass, the car accelerated instead. The brakes pressed back against his foot he said and car eventually stopped. We were both confused, surprised and afraid! the car was not driven again until I took it out two days later. It happened once more when I was braking at a red light behind a large truck at a very low speed. I pressed the brake harder a second time and then took my foot off the brake. This time the acceleration continued even after my foot was taken off the brake. I shoved the car into park to get it to stop. I sustained a broken toe and fractured ankle from the force of trying to stop the car. A few months before this, when applying the gas, the car would not accelerate at two consecutive red lights. Engine was very slow and car was not able to accelerate to the speed limit and hesitated all the way home. The car has a factory recall on the air conditioner right now as well, which we received from GM. We are terrified to drive this car not knowing if these defects will continue! the car is in the service department and we are in contact with the dealership about a buy back from GM. We bought the Spark August 30, 2013, so it is not even a year old. I have done a search for others who may be having the same or similar issues. There are reports of very similar incidents on sites for complaints for both issues of brake acceleration and the gas pedal hesitation also reports of the Spark engine stopping in traffic. This is very concerning and dangerous. We hope this is taken seriously and investigated.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Apr 162014

Spark

Chevrolet Spark would no shift out of 1st gear when acelerating on to freeway. The cause is due to defective transmission range sensor dtc error code P0705. Known service bulletin (#pip-5101). This is the 3rd time this has occurred. Extreme life threating problem when a vehicle is merging the freeway and will not acelerate to the speed of freeway traffic!!!!!!!! Chevrolet dealer has not resolved the issue.

- Flint, MI, USA

Feb 262014

Spark 4-cyl

TL - the contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The contacts stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently without any warnings. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the failure was cause by the floor mat. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 10,374.

- Dallas City, IL, USA

May 142013

Spark

While driving on the highway with the cruise control set at 70 mph, the vehicle kept accelerating and slowing down. By watching the tachometer, I could see the rpms go up and down continuously, and feel the vehicle surging forward and slowing again. The vehicle also did this with the cruise control set at 60 mph. While driving on the street and coasting, you can feel the transmission shifting up and down, and the vehicle will suddenly accelerate on it's own, making this a very dangerous situation since if you are not alert, you may be driven into the back of the vehicle in front of you.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 122012

Spark

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, her size twelve foot got stuck between the accelerator and brake pedals which caused her to crash into the rear of another vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN and mileage were unavailable.

- Plaintation, FL, USA

Nov 052012

Spark

Buttons on steering wheel that work the cruise control, hands free phone, and radio controls do not light up when lights are on at night. This creates a dangerous situation as the buttons can not be seen in the dark. GM is aware of the situation and has repaired it in models built after October 25 2012, but will not fix it in the models built before then. When I purchased the vehicle in November of 2012, I was not informed of the change before the purchase, leading me to believe that GM and its dealers intentionally mislead me into buying a car that they had already deemed as having an unsafe feature or they would not have changed it.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Oct 022012

Spark 4-cyl

Lack of button illumination lights for the cruise control, hands-free phone control and audio control on the steering wheel for night driving. The lack of illumination lights on these buttons creates potential safety issue when attempting to use the cruise control, phone call or audio functions from the steering wheel at night. This problem seems to be only for 2013 Spark models with production prior to October 2012.

- Milpitas, CA, USA