2013 Chevrolet Spark miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Spark:

2013 Chevrolet Spark Owner Comments

Aug 232016

I took my Chevy Spark to the Chevy dealership for the safety recall to the radio. Dealer completed recall and the next day my radio having issues. The buttons on the radio were not responding to touch. The dealer stated they didn't see any issues. Approx 1 month later, I took my car back to dealer and they stated that it was a hardware issue. The manager at dealer stated that they dont have any tests to determine what hardware issue the radio was having but stated it wasnt related to safety recall. The manager also advised that GM would not pay for a new radio and that I would be responsible to replace it. I used a 3rd party extended warranty to pay for repairs and filed complaint with GM risk management. The manager for the customer service team spoke with local dealer and stated that the dealer confirmed that it was a hardware issue and not related to recall. Both GM and local dealer unable to provide me with any documents supporting their conclusion. GM also stated that recall was not a saftey recall and that recall was done for simple software issues. Dealer also advised that they used a foreign object (usb) to complete software update. No issues with radio before recall work. GM wont reimburse me for $100 deductible that was paid directly by me. Extended warranty paid for remainder of radio replacement. GM stated they wont reimburse because car is past bumper to bumper warranty

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 102016

Slowly pulled car into the driveway. Entered the garage with my foot on the brake. Half way into garage, the engine over accelerated and made the car lunge forward. My foot was still on the brake pedal. The brakes went into ABS mode, with pulsating. The car rammed into some storage totes and also my snowblower. The over acceleration of the engine stopped. All of this took about 10 - 15 seconds. No amount of pressure on the brake pedal stopped this car. No, I did not have my foot on the gas pedal. The car went into my local Chevy dealer 2 days later. I was told that they ran some tests, had it up on a lift & even had a mechanic take it out to try to duplicate the problem. Of course, they couldn't find anything wrong. Someone needs to do something about all these over & under acceleration problems before lives are lost! my car has a few minor dents on the hood, from falling totes my snowblower is slightly dented but my nerves are shot. I am really scared to drive this car.

- Depew, NY, USA

Apr 052016

The traction control light along with the break light constantly come on. I have had my car looked at twice and was told nothing was wrong but these lights come on when I am sitting idle and when I am driving. Scares the hell out of me. Makes me think my car is going to cut off.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Dec 282015

Have a 2013 Chevy Spark. It has already had an engine replaced at just over 20,000 miles and continues to have the same problems as before the engine was replaced. It continuously goes back and forth to the dealer, yet "no issues or codes" are ever found. To me this car is a potential death trap every time it's driven. It continuously shows the engine light...blinking away...along with the traction control that frequently is on with it. It then revs extremely high and you can't go over 20 miles an hour because of fear the car will explode. It also shakes during all of this. These are all the same problems that the car has had since before the first engine decided to just blow...on a highway...just over 20,000 miles. Please also note that there have been multiple recalls, for this car as well. Cute car...but it ends there. It's a death trap on wheels!! there should be a major recall and class action lawsuit on these cars!

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Dec 292015

Not even 10,000 miles in I had a tire gets a bubble on the sidewall. The dealership would not cover it or swap it out saying it could have been due to hitting a pothole or curb. 15,000 miles in driving down the highway and hear a loud bang and the ac doesn't work. I take it in and the dealership says I could have hit road debris and would not cover any work on the ac, I would have to pay out of pocket. About a week later I get a letter in the mail about the ac recall and find out my compressor exploded on the inside due to faulty parts. 20,000 miles in and the car was eating a quart of oil every 2-3 days and still draining it and ran rough. The dealership said they have no idea what it is and they would not help in what they called "looking for problems that can't be reproduced". then not even a month later I get a letter about the recall and how I need to bring it in as quick as I can because some people 'may' be experiencing excess oil consumption, due to faulty parts. 40,000 miles in I'm getting the tcs light on with the cel flashing at me and the car stutters and looses power all while on the highway. Gives the code of P0324 (knock control system error). Dealership says it could be due to being driven rough and it is my fault. I shouldn't be driving 80 in a Chevy Spark (the highway speeds in Texas). The engine has a loud lifter tick in the heads. Dealership refuses to open them without a fault code that indicates a head issue. 47,000 miles in I have more misfires and error codes. Taking it back to the dealership to see what their excuse is this time.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 232015

You turn the engine off but the key does not come out of the ignition. I took it to bob bell, they could not get it out either. They order a new one and replaced it on May 28th. I had to pay some kind of deductible(100.00, which I think is ridiculous) and GM was going to pay the rest. June 6, same thing happened twice in the same day. I could not call because at that time the service dept is closed. I will be calling again today. Probably will get some kind of run around.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 162013

I experienced two instances of sudden unintended acceleration in mid April 2013. In the first instance, approx. 04/10/2013, my Spark struck a steel pole used to suspend a bird feeder next to my driveway, when shifting to reverse, and knocked it down, causing minor damage to the rear bumper. In the second instance, on 04/16/2013, my Spark suddenly accelerated and struck and severely damaged the chain link fence bordering my driveway, when shifting to drive, and struck and damaged my garage door when shifting to reverse. This caused approximately $3000 damage to my car. Now I'm afraid to drive this car!

- Wayne, MI, USA