6.0

1. sprayed siliconon steering shaft (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Suburban steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Suburban:

2001 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Dec 012010

Suburban 5.3L V8

Felt vibration and rubbing sensation and noise through the steering wheel which seemed as it were suspension-related. It always seemed to happen when turning, especially when over rough bumps. It was so bad that I was beginning to worry about something falling apart from underneath my Suburban. I had read of similar problems where the intermediate steering shaft was being replaced to relieve the problem at a cost of hundreds of dollars, only to have the problem eventually return. Focusing there, I looked under my dashboard where the steering wheel joins the upper-intermediate shaft. It looked like a Chia Pet, the joint between the two being heavily covered in dust. There was no other dust in the area so I guessed that the build up on this yoke-like connection was due to the fact that it must have had lubricant on it at one time that attracted all this dust over the years. I simply cleaned off the dust and sprayed the connection with silicon. I also sprayed the upper-intermediate shaft where it entered the firewall, as it seemed to have some slight corrosion, perhaps due to temperature variations between the inside and outside if the firewall. That was a year and a half ago, and I have not heard a peep or felt a vibration since .

- , Rockdale, IL, USA