2002 Chevrolet Suburban seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Suburban:

2002 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Sep 262015

Suburban

The circuit board under the drivers seat shorted out and caught on fire while the car was occupied.

- Moss Point, MS, USA

Aug 222008

Suburban

I was involved in a front-impact motor-vehicle accident in my 2002 Chevrolet Suburban. I was traveling approximately 35 mph when the impact occurred. The entire front end of my vehicle was crushed and none of my airbags deployed. I suffered neck and back injury ("cervical strain" - whiplash) and injury to both knees (which hit the dash board under the steering wheel). My vehicle is "totaled", so no repair is possible to remedy the damage to my vehicle. We have a claim filed with Chevrolet and are waiting to hear back from them.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 042005

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I purchase a 2002 Chevy Suburban on 7/2/05 in Delaware county from a dealership. We drove the car to our house in montgomery county and the car didn't move from the house until 7/4/05. On 7/4/05 my fiance drove the car to work and the tire exploded from the left front of the car on the way. The car hit the barrier on the right side and bounced off and then proceeded to hit the left side barrier were it came to a stop. The tire was not recoverable. Also the air bag never deployed. The accident happen going North on 309 in bucks county on a straight uphill gradient. The conditions of the road and weather were dry. There is a police report on the incident stating accident happen due to tire failure. According to the inspection sticker the tire was removed and inspected by the dealership. We have been trying to get this settled with the dealership for the past year, since we only had the car for a little more then a day. There response was and still is that there is nothing they can do to help. The estimate we received from the body shop was for $22,000 therefore the car was totaled and is currently sitting in my driveway. The tire was a Goodyear Wrangler P265/70R17.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

May 142005

Suburban 8-cyl

Husband had an accident, car pulled out in front of him and hit them on driver and back seat passenger side head. Upon impact, air bag did not deploy.

- Grand Praire, TX, USA

Aug 272003

Suburban

While driving at 45 mph vehicle was forced off of the road into oncoming traffic. Consumer swerved to avoid a head on collision with another vehicle. This action caused the vehicle to crash through a fence, run into a ditch, and collide head on with an oak tree. Seat belts were worn, but at the time of the impact, the latch came apart. Vehicle was equipped with front and side air air bags. Upon impact, they did not deploy. Consumer's knee was broken, and he suffered a concussion. Police and medical help did arrive on the scene. Manufacturer and the dealer have been notified of the incident.

- Stockdale, TX, USA

Jul 162002

Suburban 4WD

While driving 25 mph, vehicle was involved in a collision in which the driver's side air bag did not deploy, causing injuries. The vehicle was hit broad side on the passenger side. It flipped on the drivers side and slid 39 feet. The driver received severe lacerations to the back area by shattered glass. The passenger has whiplash and a small contusion to the head with bruises.

- Hobson, MT, USA