2.7

hardy worth mentioning

2003 Chevrolet Suburban accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Suburban:

2003 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012011

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I'm filing a complaint because of an issue with the instrument panel cluster. My car has had this issue for the past few months. Anytime the car goes over bumps(no matter how big or small the bump is, it could just be a crack in the cement) the gauges on the dash will go crazy, sensors will so off. Specifically the speedometer will stop working or go all the way to 120 mph. The fuel and oil gauges will not be accurate (for example it will say the tank is empty when it's full). But the most disturbing problem is that while driving no matter how fast the anti theft will go off and shut the engine off in a matter of seconds and the car loses all power. A few times I have been driving 55 mph on the expressway and it will just shut off. So far I have been lucky enough not to get rear ended, I don't know when my luck will run out. There was a recall on the car for this problem but it was only until 2010 or if the odometer was between 70,001 and 80,000 miles. My car is eight years old and over 100,000 miles. We bought this car used in 2009 from a Chevy dealership (dick wickstrom's Chevrolet). When we talked to the dealership about this and complained that it wasn't fixed when they had it, they said it wasn't having problems at that time. It will cost approximately $600 to $800 to fix. I don't have the money to fix it or to buy another car so I must continue to drive a defective unsafe car. If a part is defective how can that expire. GM should be responsible for the safety of the cars they sell and to fix any defective parts no matter how old the car is. I hope that you can help us as I need a dependable safe car and can't afford to buy another one or pay out the kind of money it will take to fix this one when I feel this should have been taken care of by the manufacturer because it is a part that was defective no matter how long it took to go bad. Thank you.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Dec 072010

Suburban

Speedometer goes to 120 randomly.

- Poway, CA, USA

Oct 012010

Suburban

The speedometer on my 2003 Chevy Suburban is off by over 50 mph. I had the same problem on 2005 Silverado. I see alot of complaints over this same problem with other owners, why is GM not held responsible for a recall. There is no way to know how fast I am actually going, if that is not a safety concern then I'm not sure what is.

- Perronville, MI, USA

Jul 052010

Suburban

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph the speedometer would malfunction leaving the contact unaware of the speed that the vehicle was traveling. The contact also stated that the speedometer malfunctioned when the vehicle was in park. The speedometer would display 60 mph when the vehicle was not moving. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated that the vehicle had under 80,000 miles. The dealer also advised the contact to file a complaint with the manufacturer to have the vehicle repaired at no cost, but since the contact did not file a complaint with the manufacturer and has high mileage the contact was responsible for the repairs. The contact stated that the manufacturer should issue a recall since the issue with the dashboard was very common. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 102010

Suburban

2003 Chevy surburban speedometer failure. Speedometer fails to give accurate reading while stopped or while driving. This causes the hazard of not being able to gauge speed accurately and makes it impossible to comply with local, state and federal speed laws for public roadways.

- Boise, ID, USA

Dec 012008

Suburban

The speedometer indicates incorrect speeds. Shows I am going 30 mph sitting still or 120 mph while driving 65mph.

- Biscoe, NC, USA

Apr 112008

Suburban

2003 Chevy Suburban speedometer has been experiencing issues since I purchased used over 2 years ago. But it outside of the manufacturers warranty period. So I decided to leave it until it stopped working all together. I was notified that from Chevy that this an issue fall of 07, but by that time the vehicle had already surpassed the mileage restraint that GM put on the recall. Now the speedometer stopped working today. The speedometer is stuck at 70, and is not reading correctly. I called my dealer and they told me to call Chevrolet. After stating my case to the first representative I was told there was nothing we could do.

- North Branch, MN, USA

Apr 102008

Suburban 8-cyl

Speedometer started going crazy. Now reads 25 when in park.

- Bayou Vista, TX, USA

Apr 102008

Suburban

I bought the Suburban new in 2003 and as I was driving it home off the lot, I looked down at the speedometer and it was showing "0." I was, at the time, driving down the highway! I pulled off the side of the road and stopped, called the dealership and they said that if it did it again to call them. It did not do it again until today. I have been noticing, though, for a few weeks that the speedometer is clicky when it goes up in speed, it is not a smooth movement, it jumps or clicks up. Then, the other day, I was driving home and looked down and the speedometer was at "0" again. As I proceeded to drive and accelerate and slow down, it was giving erroneous readings. I called GM but there was no recall on this, but there has been recalls on it, "juse not on mine."

- North Plains, OR, USA

Apr 012007

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

We purchased a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 in January of 2007 with 70,900 miles. About 3 months after we purchased it we started experiencing intermittent issue with the speedometer where it will show the vehicle going 120 mph when the tack indicates we are at 1900 RPM on highway or approximately 60 to 70 mph. We received a letter from GM in January informing us that they would replace the instrument cluster if we have less than 70,000 miles. They indicated that it was not a recall but, a warranty extension. Well we are have over 90,000 miles so they will not do anything for us. We got an estimate of $500 to fix this issue at a local dealership. I have started researching this and have noticed that there have been a few lawsuits filed in various states. I am requesting that the NHTSA require General Motors complete a recall on this issue. This is ultimately a safety issue and it is impacting many vehicle owners. This should be a recall. Any help you can give us would be appreciated!!!

- Allendale, MI, USA

Feb 112008

Suburban

2003 Chevy Suburban with speedometer problems. Consumer states she received a notice for a voluntary repair but the vehicle had too many miles on it. Consumer is very upset that there was not a recall for this repair. The consumer stated for over 3 years, she has had an intermittent problem with the speedometer.

- Elysian Fields, TX, USA

Jan 092008

Suburban 8-cyl

The speed odometer sticks, Chevy will only replace cars less than 7 yrs or under 70,000 miles. They claim that this is not a recall. My car has 108,000 miles and is not eligible for the repair. The Chevy customer service manager claims that it is not a safety issue and they are voluntary replacing cars within the 7 yrs 70,000 miles. If my car is speeding in a school zone and hits a child because I am going to fast I would say that it is a safety issue. If the speed limit is 45 miles around a curve and my speed odometer is no correct I could flip my car. I would call this a safety issue. This is not about the money but the safety of the consumer. We need to put the public safety first.

- Georgetown , TX, USA

Feb 042008

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

My 2003 Chevrolet Suburban has developed a condition where the speedometer has become inoperative. The readings are very inaccurate. For example, while traveling at low, in town speeds, the speedometer will have readings in the 60S, 70S' and 80S. While in the park position, the speedometer will read 55mph. I consider this to be a safety issue because the driver has no idea how fast or slow the vehicle is going. Without a sense of speed, the driver (my wife, or I) may unknowingly go much faster, or slower than the posted speed limits allow. The maker of the vehicle, General Motors is aware that this is a wide spread problem, as I have received a letter from the general director of General Motors stating that this could happen to my 3003 Chevrolet Suburban. General Motors has even offered to provide owners with a special coverage that extends the warranty on the instrument panel cluster for the condition described above, as long as the vehicles age and mileage falls within certain parameters. Those parameters are the main reason for my complaint. Those parameters are 1) 7 years of the in service date, and 2) 70,000 miles, which ever occurs first. My claim to have the instrument cluster in my vehicle repaired under the special coverage was denied on 2/6/08 because the mileage of my vehicle was 89,000 miles at the time of my request. I believe that this is a large scale safety problem that warrants a recall by General Motors rather than an extension of warranty with unreasonable mileage parameters.

- Bucksport, ME, USA

Jul 012005

Suburban 8-cyl

The instrument cluster on my vehicle quit working when my 2003 Chevy Suburban had about 48600 miles on it. I contacted a friend with a dealership and he told me it was a common problem and wiuld cost about $500 tp get it fixed. I recently received the recall letter but now have too many miles to qualify.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Mar 312006

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban. While driving at various speeds, the instrument control panel failed, and the fuel gauge became inoperative and displayed inaccurate readings. The dealer stated that because the vehicle exceeded 70,000 miles, the contact would have to pay for the repairs. The vehicle has not been repaired. The contact filed a formal complaint with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 54,000 and current mileage was 96,000.

- Parker, CO, USA

Jan 202008

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer has erratic operation. Shows a speed of 70 mph when actually going 56. Parked in driveway shows speed of 35 mph.

- Lemont, IL, USA

Jan 142008

Suburban 6-cyl

Periodically our car's gas gauge and speedometer stick. It is intermittent and we cannot find a connection as to when/where. We recently received a letter from Chevy recognizing there is a defect in their manufacturing but also includes a refusal to fix our Suburban because it has more than 70,000 miles on it. This is a safety issue and should fall under a mandatory recall. Cars have to be able to know how fast they are going and if they have enough fuel to get there.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Jun 012005

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

The instrument panel on my 2003 Chevrolet Suburban does not accurately display speed. The needle either sticks or jumps around or just doesn't display speed accurately. This has created a situation wherein I do not ever know my actual speed creating a safety hazard for the occupants of my vehicle and others on the road. GM is apparently aware of the problem and is fixing those vehicles with less than 70,000 miles, but mine has greater mileage and they have refused to correct my problem. I think they should be compelled to correct this safety defect that they obviously agree exists.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Dec 302007

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer randomly goes 5 to 50 miles faster than actual speed of the car. I checked it with a gps--if it goes off speed, it has read as high as 40 mph at a standstill and as high as 120 mph at 70 mph.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 152007

Suburban

I had the same problem like others with the speedometer in my 2003 Suburban. Early 2007, I had less then 70K on it and when I contacted the dealer, there was no recall. The fix was about $500. Now (2008), GM says they will fix it if the truck has less than 70K. How convenient"! GM waited until more cars are above 70K and then decides to recall it. Where is NHTSA" this problem has been reported for years.

- Germantown, MD, USA