2.9

2003 Chevrolet Suburban accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Suburban:

2003 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 012008

Suburban

The speedometer indicates incorrect speeds. Shows I am going 30 mph sitting still or 120 mph while driving 65mph.

- Biscoe, NC, USA

Apr 112008

Suburban

2003 Chevy Suburban speedometer has been experiencing issues since I purchased used over 2 years ago. But it outside of the manufacturers warranty period. So I decided to leave it until it stopped working all together. I was notified that from Chevy that this an issue fall of 07, but by that time the vehicle had already surpassed the mileage restraint that GM put on the recall. Now the speedometer stopped working today. The speedometer is stuck at 70, and is not reading correctly. I called my dealer and they told me to call Chevrolet. After stating my case to the first representative I was told there was nothing we could do.

- North Branch, MN, USA

Apr 102008

Suburban 8-cyl

Speedometer started going crazy. Now reads 25 when in park.

- Bayou Vista, TX, USA

Apr 102008

Suburban

I bought the Suburban new in 2003 and as I was driving it home off the lot, I looked down at the speedometer and it was showing "0." I was, at the time, driving down the highway! I pulled off the side of the road and stopped, called the dealership and they said that if it did it again to call them. It did not do it again until today. I have been noticing, though, for a few weeks that the speedometer is clicky when it goes up in speed, it is not a smooth movement, it jumps or clicks up. Then, the other day, I was driving home and looked down and the speedometer was at "0" again. As I proceeded to drive and accelerate and slow down, it was giving erroneous readings. I called GM but there was no recall on this, but there has been recalls on it, "juse not on mine."

- North Plains, OR, USA

Apr 012007

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

We purchased a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 in January of 2007 with 70,900 miles. About 3 months after we purchased it we started experiencing intermittent issue with the speedometer where it will show the vehicle going 120 mph when the tack indicates we are at 1900 RPM on highway or approximately 60 to 70 mph. We received a letter from GM in January informing us that they would replace the instrument cluster if we have less than 70,000 miles. They indicated that it was not a recall but, a warranty extension. Well we are have over 90,000 miles so they will not do anything for us. We got an estimate of $500 to fix this issue at a local dealership. I have started researching this and have noticed that there have been a few lawsuits filed in various states. I am requesting that the NHTSA require General Motors complete a recall on this issue. This is ultimately a safety issue and it is impacting many vehicle owners. This should be a recall. Any help you can give us would be appreciated!!!

- Allendale, MI, USA

Feb 112008

Suburban

2003 Chevy Suburban with speedometer problems. Consumer states she received a notice for a voluntary repair but the vehicle had too many miles on it. Consumer is very upset that there was not a recall for this repair. The consumer stated for over 3 years, she has had an intermittent problem with the speedometer.

- Elysian Fields, TX, USA

Jan 092008

Suburban 8-cyl

The speed odometer sticks, Chevy will only replace cars less than 7 yrs or under 70,000 miles. They claim that this is not a recall. My car has 108,000 miles and is not eligible for the repair. The Chevy customer service manager claims that it is not a safety issue and they are voluntary replacing cars within the 7 yrs 70,000 miles. If my car is speeding in a school zone and hits a child because I am going to fast I would say that it is a safety issue. If the speed limit is 45 miles around a curve and my speed odometer is no correct I could flip my car. I would call this a safety issue. This is not about the money but the safety of the consumer. We need to put the public safety first.

- Georgetown , TX, USA

Feb 042008

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

My 2003 Chevrolet Suburban has developed a condition where the speedometer has become inoperative. The readings are very inaccurate. For example, while traveling at low, in town speeds, the speedometer will have readings in the 60S, 70S' and 80S. While in the park position, the speedometer will read 55mph. I consider this to be a safety issue because the driver has no idea how fast or slow the vehicle is going. Without a sense of speed, the driver (my wife, or I) may unknowingly go much faster, or slower than the posted speed limits allow. The maker of the vehicle, General Motors is aware that this is a wide spread problem, as I have received a letter from the general director of General Motors stating that this could happen to my 3003 Chevrolet Suburban. General Motors has even offered to provide owners with a special coverage that extends the warranty on the instrument panel cluster for the condition described above, as long as the vehicles age and mileage falls within certain parameters. Those parameters are the main reason for my complaint. Those parameters are 1) 7 years of the in service date, and 2) 70,000 miles, which ever occurs first. My claim to have the instrument cluster in my vehicle repaired under the special coverage was denied on 2/6/08 because the mileage of my vehicle was 89,000 miles at the time of my request. I believe that this is a large scale safety problem that warrants a recall by General Motors rather than an extension of warranty with unreasonable mileage parameters.

- Bucksport, ME, USA

Jul 012005

Suburban 8-cyl

The instrument cluster on my vehicle quit working when my 2003 Chevy Suburban had about 48600 miles on it. I contacted a friend with a dealership and he told me it was a common problem and wiuld cost about $500 tp get it fixed. I recently received the recall letter but now have too many miles to qualify.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Mar 312006

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban. While driving at various speeds, the instrument control panel failed, and the fuel gauge became inoperative and displayed inaccurate readings. The dealer stated that because the vehicle exceeded 70,000 miles, the contact would have to pay for the repairs. The vehicle has not been repaired. The contact filed a formal complaint with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 54,000 and current mileage was 96,000.

- Parker, CO, USA

Jan 202008

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer has erratic operation. Shows a speed of 70 mph when actually going 56. Parked in driveway shows speed of 35 mph.

- Lemont, IL, USA

Jan 142008

Suburban 6-cyl

Periodically our car's gas gauge and speedometer stick. It is intermittent and we cannot find a connection as to when/where. We recently received a letter from Chevy recognizing there is a defect in their manufacturing but also includes a refusal to fix our Suburban because it has more than 70,000 miles on it. This is a safety issue and should fall under a mandatory recall. Cars have to be able to know how fast they are going and if they have enough fuel to get there.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Jun 012005

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

The instrument panel on my 2003 Chevrolet Suburban does not accurately display speed. The needle either sticks or jumps around or just doesn't display speed accurately. This has created a situation wherein I do not ever know my actual speed creating a safety hazard for the occupants of my vehicle and others on the road. GM is apparently aware of the problem and is fixing those vehicles with less than 70,000 miles, but mine has greater mileage and they have refused to correct my problem. I think they should be compelled to correct this safety defect that they obviously agree exists.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Dec 302007

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer randomly goes 5 to 50 miles faster than actual speed of the car. I checked it with a gps--if it goes off speed, it has read as high as 40 mph at a standstill and as high as 120 mph at 70 mph.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 152007

Suburban

I had the same problem like others with the speedometer in my 2003 Suburban. Early 2007, I had less then 70K on it and when I contacted the dealer, there was no recall. The fix was about $500. Now (2008), GM says they will fix it if the truck has less than 70K. How convenient"! GM waited until more cars are above 70K and then decides to recall it. Where is NHTSA" this problem has been reported for years.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Nov 212007

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I almost got hit by another driver because of the problem with the speedometer on my 2003 Suburban Z71 the speedometer read now when is park from 35 miles to 75 miles and when im driving sometimes it reads 0 or 120 miles doesn't work how is supposed to.

- Long Beach , CA, USA

Nov 172007

Suburban

Speedometer sticks cant ever tell what speed I am traveling at. This seems to be a common problem why wont they recall them!

- Canton, GA, USA

Nov 172007

Suburban

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban with the instrument panel acting erratic. It states that I have 0 oil pressure and that I am doing 100 mph when I am actually doing 40 mph. The tachometer is sticking at 2.1 RPM. I have searched the internet for solutions and have ran into thousands of posting the same problems with GM vehicles. Who should I send all of my speeding tickets to?

- Haven, KS, USA

Jul 012007

Suburban 8-cyl

Speedometer failure. The speedometer on my 2003 Chevrolet Suburban does not register the correct speed. It either does not move at all or randomly jumps from 0 to 120 or off the register and then may get stuck in any position for lengthy periods of time.

- Brighton, TN, USA

Mar 012007

Suburban 4WD

Without warning my speedometer constantly says I am going 120/hr. This seems to be an important instrument to drive your Suburban. To repair this instrument runs approximately $600 and from my understanding there have been thousands of Suburban that have encountered this problem.

- Homer Glen , IL, USA