2003 Chevrolet Suburban lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Suburban:

2003 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Nov 052014

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I am a teacher and got a call in my classroom that my Suburban was on fire parked in the parking lot. The fire department was called and when I got outside, sure enough there was smoke all in the Suburban and smoke coming from the roof of the vehicle (not the hood). When the fire department arrived, they entered the vehicle, disconnected the battery, and proceeded to tear out my rear headliner to extinguish the electrical fire that was occurring. My insurance company had the vehicle towed and it was deemed reparable, which I was not too happy about seeing as we don't really know the cause of the fire beyond electrical. The fire originated near the rear dome light and burned the headliner and melted the paint off the roof the vehicle. The location of the fire was not a in a place where any mechanic could check to have prevented this from occurring and I am concerned about the safety of the vehicle moving forward. I am not in a financial position to afford a new Suburban and do love mine, but am now just concerned. I am thankful no one was in the vehicle and that no one was hurt.. but had a parent dropping a kid off to school not noticed the smoke coming off the roof of my car in the parking lot, things could have been much worse. I had also just filled my tank up the day before so the car was sitting with 30 gallons of gasoline in it. I am also thankful that I was not trying to scramble to get my 4 kids out of the car (and yes we do use the 3rd row seat daily). I think this incident needs to be looked at to prevent any other owner of a 2003 Suburban from having a similar experience. There were no recalls on my vehicle that would have lead to this issue.

- Stevensville, MD, USA

Jan 012005

Running lamps light bulb sockets appear to be defective. New light bulbs do not solve the problem. I contacted the dealer and the parts salesman told me it is a common problem with the wiring socket and it needs to be replaced. As I have been driving around I have noticed many Chevy Silverado's, Suburban's, and Tahoe with running lamps inoperative.

- Lancaster , CA, USA

Apr 162008

The high center (3rd) brake light on my 20003 Chevy Suburban has gone out for the third time. I see many many similar vehicles with their high-center (3rd) brake lights out. There has to be some electrical system glitch to cause the failure. GM recently announced a recall to replace the entire dash board because of electrical problems. The problems may be related this is a safety issue as the high-center brake light serves an important function and at $120 plus labor to replace is can get expensive.

- Hollister, CA, USA