2.0

2004 Chevrolet Suburban electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Suburban:

2004 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 012010

Suburban

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that the speedometer gauge and fuel gauge would not display an accurate reading whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for a diagnostic testing where they detected that the needle within both gauges was stuck and informed that the instrument panel would need to be replaced to correct the problem. The manufacturer previously issued a voluntary recall associated with the instrument panel however the contact did not receive the notification. The vehicle was not included in the recall due to the excessive mileage, although the manufacturer stated that they would consider extending the special coverage under the recall. The contact was waiting upon a response from the manufacturer regarding the repair. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000.

- Taneytown, MD, USA

Jan 242011

Suburban

Gauge failure, specifically the speedometer, on the instrument panel. The speedometer works intermittently and also gets stuck at a speed > than 75 mph when my vehicle is going much slower than that and then registers > 120mph when I am going around 60-65 mph.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jan 192011

Suburban

Transfer case had to be replaced before 70000 miles due to bearing. Passenger air went out and only blew hot after a battery change, had to replace entire air system. Air system went out again with 2nd battery replacement, but dealer was able to "reset" it. Speedometer only works sometimes. Binding noise in steering column, has been lubed numerous times while waiting for Chevy to issue a recall according to dealer. This vehicle is driven under 15000 miles a year.

- Evans, GA, USA

Feb 142010

Suburban

2004 Chevy Suburban with approximately 125000 miles had instrument cluster failure with the oil pressure gauge and the alternator or charging system gauge after a drop in the ambient temperature. Took to dealership who said the entire cluster must be replaced.

- Ccorpus Christi, TX, USA

Oct 102010

Suburban

2004 Chevrolet Suburban air conditioning intermittently blows hot air only on the driver's side using the dual zone ac control. GM has no idea how to fix this issue. While researching found thousands of Chevy owner all with the same complaint and with no real fix. There seems to be some connection between the battery/loss of power and the climate control module being defective.

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Jun 012010

Suburban

2004 1500 Suburban stalls without warning. No service codes to point to troubles. A search online shows the amount people having trouble. Changed crank positioner sensor, plugs, and injector cleaner. No change no help from dealer without spending thousands. It is stalling on busy streets and highways no accident yet but very close calls. It happens now every day mostly after warmed up and stopping and speeding up again. I read online that ca has a recall but nothing nation wide. I don't have the resources to trade or spend thousands for a defect that is a safety hazard.

- Sutter, IL, USA

May 122010

Suburban

Speedometer does not give accurate readings, and often stops working completely.

- Summerville , SC, USA

Mar 012010

Suburban

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban. While the vehicle was turned off the driver heard a loud noise under the driver's seat. The wires under the seat were exposed. The driver also stated that there were intermittent failures with the electrical system. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the exposed wires with electrical tape. The failure mileage was approximately 48250. The current mileage was 48349.

- Dover, DE, USA

Mar 012008

Suburban 8-cyl

2004 Chevy Suburban - about a year or two ago my speedometer started acting up. It would say I was doing 10 mph when I was on the highway or I could be going 30 or 35 and it would say I was going 110 mph. This went on for months before it finally just quit working. I have to drive with a gps just to know how fast I'm going. I have heard and read of many other cases exactly like this. Seems to me this should be a recall for a defective speedometer. I don't have the $400 or $500 they want to fix it.

- Woodbine, GA, USA

Dec 032009

Suburban 8-cyl

While driving I notice my speedometer not working on my 2004 Chevy Suburban. My wife called henderson Chevrolet. They asked what our mileage was. It was 92,000 miles. They said it would cost over $800. I never knew there was a recall on the speedometer cluster till I put a search in on the internet. Can someone help us?

- Henderson, NV, USA

Dec 012009

Suburban

2004 Chevrolet Suburban speedometer reading is inaccurate, reading anywhere from 20 to 50 mph too high. This is a hazard while driving due to inability to accurately gauge speed, causing tendency to drive too slowly. Run risk of traffic ticket. Chevy dealership acknowledges that this is common problem but only provides special issue service for vehicles between 70,000 to 80,000 miles on odometer.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Apr 012009

Suburban

The speedometer on my '04 Chevy Suburban has become erratic, and progressively gets "faster" and faster until it registers 120mph setting still. Repeatedly turning the car on and off will reset the speedometer, but it recurs within a few days.

- Cleburne, TX, USA

Apr 142009

Suburban

Instrument cluster went dead no speedometer nothing.

- Colchester, IL, USA

Mar 092009

Suburban

2004 Suburban with less than 65000 miles, cuts out driving at various speeds, sitting at traffic light, uphill or down hill. Vehicle gives no warning, no lights light up, just all of a sudden no power. Can start back up sometimes immediately, sometimes after several minutes. After researching online seems to be a common problem issue with the vehicle, called dealer and they said there is no recall even though it is obviously a safety issue.

- Leeds, AL, USA

Feb 202009

Suburban

My speedometer stopped working on my vehicle about 2 weeks ago. When I am at a complete stop, it shows I am going anywhere between 50-70 mph. When I am going 40 mph, it shows I am going over 120 mph. I believe this is a safety issue because I have no idea how fast I am going and obviously, speed limits are there for a reason. I have contacted Chevy and also a local dealer and they are aware that this has been a huge problem on 2003 and 2004 Chevy and GMC vehicles. They have a special coverage for it, but it ends at 70,000 miles. My vehicle has 71,000 miles on it and so, they will not fix it without charging me around $700. There is a class action lawsuit pending regarding this issue. It is not normal wear and tear, as evidenced by the huge # of vehicles affected and it should be a recall item, as it affects safety.

- Parker, CO, USA

Feb 102009

Suburban

Instrument cluster panel in a 2004 Chevy Suburban was diagnosed by a GM dealership as defective on 3/4/2009 with 70,400miles. Oil gauge and battery gauge fails to read properly often bouncing around/fluttering around during vehicle operation. Gauges do not return to zero while vehicle is not operating. Gauge failure was noted on 2/10/2009. GM has yet to agree to replace cluster panel though a letter was sent to GM owners regarding matter. Letter clearly states not to bring vehicle in to have cluster panel checked until there is believed to be an issue.

- Wakefield, RI, USA

Apr 032007

Suburban

Engine intermittently goes into "reduced engine power" "traction control disabled" for no apparent reason. Engine power is reduced by two thirds. Issue has been occurring for approximately 2 years now. GM/Chevy dealership has been unable to resolve the issue. I've had the car in the shop over 20 times some times on a weekly basis. Throttle body, tac, battery cables, and other components have been changed to no avail. Several close calls on the freeway with 18 wheelers bearing down on rear end when issue has occurred. I no longer allow my wife and kids in the car. I'm sure someone will eventually die as a result of this issue and maybe then GM will address the issue. Hopefully when it happens it will not involve small children which is what Suburban are typically purchased for...to drive around families with small children. Consumers thinking they are purchasing a good size vehicle that will keep their family safe should steer away from GM products.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Jan 152009

Suburban

Vehicle is a 4WD model, equipped with electronically controlled transfer case. The control only works intermittently. Several times I have been caught in a snowstorm and unable to use the 4WD. This is a serious safety issue. I had the control repaired once, but the problem quickly returned. I am told this is a very common problem with 4WD Chevrolet and GMC trucks, for many model years.

- Ebensburg, PA, USA

Feb 132009

Suburban

First occurrence was in 02/2008. Power seat adjuster and seat heater quit working. Problem found to be high resistance in the electrical connector under drivers seat. Substantial burning and melting of the connector present. Second occurrence on 2/13/09, found same high resistance problem at the connector between body and rear hatch. Caused rear wiper and defroster to become inoperative. Both incidents raise concerns about a vehicle fire due to the extreme heat that is produced by current flowing through a high resistance connection. Both connectors have evidence of extreme heat and lead me to be less than confident that these two connectors are the only ones on this vehicle that are faulty. I submitted a complaint about the seat connector in February of 2008, but find no record of it at safecar.gov and have never been contacted about the complaint.

- Johnston, IA, USA

Feb 052009

Suburban

The speedometer in my 2004 Chevy Suburban is not working properly. When traveling only 50 mph it reads 91 mph. CanżT tell how fast IżM driving.

- Vancouver, WA, USA