2.0

2004 Chevrolet Suburban electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Suburban:

2004 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 012016

Suburban

The gear shift indicator lights in the GM instrument cluster are no longer working. This creates a safety issue because the driver can shift into the incorrect gear accidentally causing an accident. There is no other alternate gear shift indicator in the vehicle.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 012016

Suburban

The GM instrument cluster stepper motors and lights have failed. This results in a safety hazard because it is important to know the speed of the vehicle and the fuel level as well as other important engine information.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 252013

Suburban

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently blow hot air due to a failure with the air conditioner blower motor. The contact stated that the blower resistor module and the wiring harness were replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 174,000. Updated 12/03/15

- Manvel, TX, USA

Dec 272014

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Speed reads 120mph and not moving.

- Wurtsboro, NY, USA

Feb 122015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving down interstate looked at speed it was pegged out way past 120 I know I was not going that fast I was getting passed then when I stopped it only come down to about 110 says U R running 100 sitting still.

- Lafayette, GA, USA

May 172013

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

1st complaint: After passing a vehicle on a highway (this required the Suburban to go into the passing gear), the Suburban's electrical system and engine automatically shut down right on the highway. I was forced to immediately pull over in order to avoid be hit by passing vehicle. After waiting approximately 5 minutes, the Suburban started up again. We started driving again but again once I tried to accelerate or pass another vehicle the Suburban would shut down again. Auto mechanic has not been able to identify what causes the vehicle to do this. Very frustrating and dangerous if this happens on a busy highway or freeway. 2nd complaint: Cluster panel went haywire. Speedometer stopped working, oil gauge not reading properly etc. Eventually, the entire cluster panel shut down. Had to replace it at a cost of about $500. 3rd complaint: Drivers seat functions and heating mechanisim malfunctioned. The drivers heated seat stopped working and the seat controls malfunctioned. The some of the drivers seat controls stopped working or are reversed. Example; when you push the lever to move the seat forward it goes backward and vis versa. The drivers side heated seat stopped working and it will cancel out the passengers side heated seat. Example; if the passenger side heated seat is selected, it works but once you select the drivers side heated seat it will cancel out the passenger side and the drivers side still doesn't work. Auto mechanic claimed the drivers side heated seat element was bad. Had it replaced at a cost of $300 but still did not solve the problem. The original heated seat element was not bad either.

- Park City , UT, USA

Sep 242014

Suburban

At first I got a check engine light on with code P0430, O2 sensor lower bank 2, then bank 1. replaced those two work for a week then RPM and speedometer gauge fluctuate up and down. I drove home from the airport one night and all gauge reading went all the way up. I was traveling on an interstate with a speed limited of 55mph and the reading in my car was over 120mph. Took to in shop, shop recommend I need speedometer sensor replaced. Replaced that, now all the instrument gauge jump up and down. Sometime all the way full sometime all the way down. Finally got tire of trying to fix it myself and took the car to the dealer and they found out it was a bad dash instrument and bad catylete-conveter. Thanks to Chevy it cost me headache, guessing time, giving false reading and most of all thousands of dollars to get it fix right.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Jun 262014

Suburban 8-cyl

After replacing temperature sensor on engine by garage, the temperature gauge continues to act with high readings & now it has pegged to maximum high temp. This is disconcerting and my wife & I are very nervous to drive it in not knowing if it is a real issue of concern. Even though we are not original owners, and that there has been related issues with speedometer, temp gauge, sensor, and more covered by company, they will not do so now according to local Chevy dealership & ethically I think once the repairs have been noted and then show up should be honored. I believe that the company would have set aside the parts and money to install. Video of repair looks like a skilled mechanic could reset original miles on current bad gauge set to replacement and pop in within 15-30 minutes. Cost for panel is about $300 and if I ship it out to an online repair center they'll charge about $90 for replacement part with upgraded parts for durability. As a veteran who had to retire from a civilian job early due to my disabilities and the money these car companies received from bank crashes stabilization in the time of offered replacement wouldn't I be eligible based on that?

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Suburban

The speedometer is completely gone along with several gauges such as the oil, gas, and RPM meters. I am unable to tell how much gas I have or how fast I am going. This has happened a lot to these vehicles over the past 10 years. GM offered a repair but only for vehicles who were not over a certain mileage. This is a safety issue and needs to be repaired in all vehicles. Additional, the electrical system is out of whack. My heated seats turn all the way up to high without me pressing anything. My tv system is not working. Everything seems to be falling apart.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Jun 122013

Suburban 8-cyl

Speedometer reads that I'm going faster than I am. I cannot tell how fast I am going. When the vehicle is off it registers 10mph. This concerns me greatly since this is my only vehicle and I have three children that ride with me everywhere I go. I researched this on the internet have found many problems with the speedometer on this vehicle. Should be a recall. This is dangerous!!!!

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

May 062011

Suburban 8-cyl

Instrument cluster failed.took vehicle to dealer, they wanted $500 to replace. Took it back several months later and tried to negotiate a lower price and also found that this has been a widespread problem and that some customers report online that they have got the dealer to replace at no cost. My cluster has not been repaired and I am seeking to have GM repair it for free..

- Marion, MA, USA

Sep 152011

Suburban 8-cyl

The vehicle will shut off at interstate and low speeds and show reduced power and stability system disabled. This is very dangerous, I was nearly killed on the interstate by and 18 wheeler coming up behind me when the engine shut down..

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Aug 062010

Suburban 8-cyl

Speedo does not read correct, it gets stuck at various numbers...while driving or parked on or off (speed can be plus or minus actual speed by 5-55 mph at any given time. And you never know when, also the oil pressure gauge will go past the marked limit when the truck is off, no key in the ignition.

- Cedar Falls , IA, USA

Oct 172011

Suburban

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that the gauges in the instrument panel were inoperable. The alternator and temperature gauge would display that the vehicle was overheating. The dealer diagnosed that the instrument cluster panel would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 67,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Dec 202010

Suburban 8-cyl

Instrument cluster failed after extreme cold temperatures, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge and battery charging system gauge. GM knows about the faulty gauges and as of this date has not made a recall of the instrument panel. Considering all legal remedies afforded by law as this is a problem that can be rectified by GM by replacing the aforementioned faulty factory equipment.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Aug 012006

Suburban 8-cyl

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 which I bought used in 2006. Since the day I purchased the vehicle the back doors will not automatically unlock either with decreased speed or with the hand held remote. You actually have to reach back and unlock the doors with your hand. Now, in the last few months, the remote still works but it is not unlocking any of the doors and you must use the key to unlock drivers door. I was told there are motors in each door for the locks and that replacing them are expensive, so I'm wondering if there have been any kind of recalls for this problem.

- Keithville, LA, USA

Aug 012011

Suburban

2004 Chevrolet Suburban goes into reduced power engine w/O reason change the engine, because high miles, change transmission, change throttle body, change gas pedal module, change catalytic converter spend over 4,000 on the truck without counting the accident can occur in the interstate 78 West because of the lost of power, dealers don't know what is the problem neither the local mechanics can you please take action in this matter and read at edmonds.com and see all the complains about the same problem

- Easton , PA, USA

Aug 012011

- Easton , PA, USA

Mar 072011

Suburban 8-cyl

Our 2004 Chevrolet Suburban lt has approximately 115K miles. Periodically the entire instrument cluster, with the exception of a couple of lights, stops working. No gauges, no speedometer, etc. Sometimes when this happens the driver information center displays strange and random characters, sometimes the dic section is all blue, and sometimes it is blank. I have tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. This seemed to work one time, but the rest of the time this had no effect. There doesn't seem to be any pattern (day/night, hot/cold, etc.) as to when this malfunction will occur, or when it will return to normal. We are in day 2 of an instrument panel failure at this time.

- Vestavia, AL, USA

Mar 122011

Suburban

Speedometer began reading incorrectly, pegged out at maximum, drifts aimlessly, then sticks again. Cannot get speedometer to reset or read correctly.

- Bartlett, TN, USA