2004 Chevrolet Suburban engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Suburban:

2004 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Aug 092011

Suburban 8-cyl

At random you will just be driving down the road and a message comes on that says reduce engine power and the T/C light comes on along with the check engine light. This has happened several times, is very unsafe, and is getting worse. We have had work done to try and fix the problem but its still happening. We don't have tons of money to fix this, live in the country, and have 5 kids. This is our only transportation and we have a rather large loan on the thing and its turning into yard art.

- Forman, ND, USA

Aug 012011

2004 Chevrolet Suburban goes into reduced power engine w/O reason change the engine, because high miles, change transmission, change throttle body, change gas pedal module, change catalytic converter spend over 4,000 on the truck without counting the accident can occur in the interstate 78 West because of the lost of power, dealers don't know what is the problem neither the local mechanics can you please take action in this matter and read at and see all the complains about the same problem

- Easton , PA, USA

Nov 112010

Suburban 8-cyl

Driving down the road one day and reduced engine light comes on. My Suburban slows to about 35mph and will not go any faster. This occurs about 15 times a month. I am concerned about people driving behind me when it comes to a sudden slow if I can not get off the road. We have brought it to a dealership 3 times. They did not know what was wrong. We have changed the throttle pedal positioning sensor, map sensor, crank sensor, knock sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires. Nothing has worked.

- Mittie, LA, USA

Aug 122010

2004 Chevy Suburban w/80,000 mi. Used for towing rv-"reduced engine power". codes are not specific for the problem and multiple repairs have not fixed problem. This is an extreme hazard when towing as rig cannot move off the road with so little power. I am reading many posts online for the same issue.

- Republic, WA, USA

Feb 142011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban. While driving approximately 3-5 mph the vehicle stalled. The warning light displayed reduced engine power. She engaged her hazard lights and pulled over to the right side of the road. She turned the vehicle off and waited a few seconds and was able to restart it. When she restarted the vehicle the reduced engine light was still on and she turned the vehicle off again and restarted it. The vehicle began to function normally. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for the failure. The failure and current mileage was 104,788.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Apr 102010

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I bought a new 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 ls in early September 2005. One evening I went to a restaurant to eat, went inside and was seated. Maybe 5 minutes passed, could have been less. The owner began yelling that a vehicle in the lot was on fire. I looked out the window and saw what I thought was a car next to mine bellowing smoke. I ran outside to move my 2004 Suburban away from the burning car and to my amazement discovered it was my Suburban! there was absolutely no prior indication of anything wrong such as an over-heated engine. No indication of any malfunction whatsoever. The engine was completely off when this fire started.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 152008

The coolant level in the reservoir continued to drop, prompting me to refill it weekly. Service shop worked on this on and off for several months. After several engine overheating situations, we took it to a different shop. Turns out our heads are cracked. They were manufactured by castech and are known to be defective according to GM bulletin #06-06-01-019B (document id 1986750). There is now so much anti-freeze in our engine that the entire motor needs to be replaced due to the corrosive nature of the fluid. GM said that they would pay nothing towards our repair. The engine only has 91K miles and now needs total replacement B/C of an issue that GM knew about since 6/12/07 but never contacted us about. Had the replaced the heads back in 2007, we most certainly wouldn't be facing total motor replacement at this time.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Jul 142008

My 2004 Chevy Suburban just dies while driving, I loose power steering & my brakes. It has happened 2X in 2 days. It presents a very dangerous situation, for myself & other drivers. When a diagnostic is run it is negative, nothing shows up. All of this out of nowhere.

- Rock Springs, WY, USA

May 012005

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe has had the following issues before 100K miles: 1. replaced fuel pump 2. engine overheating(taken to the dealership service dept 2X for issue) 3. oil pressue - lost oil pressue 4. transmission needs replaced

- Wake Forest, NC, USA