2006 Chevrolet Suburban electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Suburban:

2006 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Oct 062015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500. The contact stated that the heating and air conditioning failed to shut off while the vehicle was not powered. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 91,000.

- Utica, KY, USA

Jun 012014

After years of having my Suburban the lift gate lock actuator stopped working last year. I searched online and found a replacement oem actuator which I purchased. I had it installed but when I tried to use it, it would not work properly. The trunk would unlock when the rest of the vehicle was locked and vice versa. The company then sent me replacement as that was a defective part. The new part worked up until mid March of this year and has now stopped working also. Currently, when I try to unlock the truck all I hear is a small buzz coming from the actuator, but it doesn't move, it's frozen at the lock setting. I am surprised Chevy has not issued a recall on this part because I find the same issue occurring to other people's vehicles all over the web.

- Ocala, FL, USA

May 192014

2006 Suburban with rear door actuator failure starting May 19 2014, mileage of 68000 approximately, loud noise with locking of rear door by either remote or when engaged in driving. Periodical failure of door to open at all.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 142013

Suburban 8-cyl

GM designed this car with a no key entry for the rear hatch. It does not have an internal manual unlocking mechanism for the hatch. If the car is in an accident, there would be no way to open the rear hatch. On top of this, the rear hatch lock actuator fails for thousands of customers. This either locks the hatch in place, or leaves it unable to be locked. GM needs to do a recall to fix this issue. It is unsafe, and costing thousands of customers upwards of a $400 repair just to correct it at the dealer.

- Tustin, CA, USA

May 092012

I have a 2006 Chevy Suburban Z71 with just over 95,500 miles. The rear hatchback/liftgate locking mechanism appears to have failed. The vehicle was not in an accident, and no other event ocurred. The lock simply quit working. Neither the door nor the glass will unlock. There is no manual way to unlock or open the rear door when the power locks are not working. There is not an emergency release to pop the rear door or glass in case of emergency. All other doors on the vehicle are still functional manually and electronically. No fuses have failed. I have not been notified of a recall and have not followed up with the dealership or a mechanic yet. In 2006/2007 we also experienced an odd electrical problem that the dealership could not reproduce. The vehicle would have an obvious electrical odor/burning smell and various lighting failures after being in heavy snow on three separate occassions. The problem was logged but never occurred again.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 212006

The A/C works intermittent and then not at all. Burning smell coming from vents. The resistor and connector have been the problem and replaced. First time under warranty by dealership. Second time by me a year ago and now it is happening again. Very unsafe. The wires get very hot and melt. It is a fire hazzard.

- Sanger, CA, USA

Jun 242010

The contact owned a 2006 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated while the vehicle was parked in the garage, the vehicle caught on fire. The fire department was called and the fire was extinguished. There were no injuries. A fire report was available. The origin of the fire was an electrical wiring within the instrument panel. The vehicle was left on the contact's property where he was awaiting an investigation by his insurance company. The manufacturer was not contacted as of yet. The failure and current mileage was 32,000.

- Winchester, MA, USA

Jul 282008

While driving my cab starting filling with smoke and the smell of burning wires. I pulled over to see what it could be and turned off the radio and air conditioner. I did not notice anything that looked like it was smoking or on fire so I continued on. When I tried to turn the air conditioner on it didn't come on for a minute so I looked under the hood at the relay center and there was nothing wrong there when I got back in the truck it was running again. A few days later the same thing happened so I pulled my dash apart and checked the wiring couldn't find anything wrong. Then it happened where my air conditioner shut off and heavy smoke started coming from under the glove box area. I pulled the air conditioning silencer off and noticed the wiring harness plugged into the blower motor resistor was about to catch on fire so I unplugged it before it could happen.

- Cabot, AR, USA