CarComplaints.com Notes: Engines shouldn't need a new quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, but for thousands of Suburban owners that's exactly what's happening. Engine oil consumption on aluminum block engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) is out of control and owners are left looking for answers.

The most likely culprit is an uncovered AFM valve which, in many cases, can be covered under warranty. The problem is the issues don't stop there and many owners have been told by GM just to buy a new engine. Take one guess who they want to pick up the tab.

2007 Chevrolet Suburban body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Suburban:

2007 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012014

Suburban

Takata recall info received, but Chevy won't fix it. Another issue is cracked dashboard in several places. I am concerned with its integrity.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Suburban

The dash is cracked in here places and if the passenger airbag deploys it may rupture due to the sharp edges of the crack

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 212015

Suburban

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact noticed a third crack on the dashboard by the passenger side air bag. The crack made the air come out of the vent higher than the rest of the dashboard. The manufacturer was informed of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 137,904.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jun 012013

Suburban

Dash has been cracking for 2-3 years. Dealer refuses to document or remedy. Says vehicle is outside of warranty. This is a safety concern if the air bags go off or if a child was to reach up and touch the crack. It is razor sharp. 3 cracks total. Vehicle is garage kept and not sitting in the sun.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Mar 012009

Have replaced all 4 door handles due to plastic breaking

- Clayton, NC, USA

Mar 012016

Suburban

The dash has cracked in multiple places, notably around the passenger air bag. The larger dash panel was replaced by the dealer but has cracked again, twice. The smaller, forward dash panel is also now cracked. The dealer has refused assistance. All cracks occurred while stationary. This vehicle is garaged.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Suburban

The dashboard is cracking in various areas. Specific area is the cracking next to the passenger side air bag area. I am seriously worried if an accident were to happen and the airbag was to deploy that shards of plastic could be sent flying thru the interior of the vehicle

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Jul 052012

Suburban

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that the dashboard prematurely cracked in the same area twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice where they replaced the dashboard, but the failure recurred. The dealer was notified and indicated that a clip fractured and there was a crack on the dashboard that needed to be replaced a third time. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Vancleave, MS, USA

Feb 092014

Suburban

I purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban approximately 18 months ago. It had approximately 86000 miles on it. At approximately 89000 miles the dash began cracking. It has continued to crack ever since. The first one was on the left front of the passenger side airbag. Since then I have numerous cracks on the drivers side over the instrument panel. This could be a hazard if the air bag is deployed and the dash breaks further and sends projectiles of the dash material airborne in a crash. This seems to be a problem with all of these model vehicles from 2007 to 2011. I believe it should be addressed and paid for by GM. Some of these cracks have happened while moving and one even happened from the interior getting cold inside.

- Atmore, AL, USA

Sep 252015

Suburban

The chrome on the door handles, all 4 of them, are peeling, where the chrome will actually slice your skin on your fingers and make you bleed.

- Roscommon, MI, USA

Mar 132015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

My two children and I where coming home from a wrestling tournament traveling on a highway doing about 65 mph. They were in the back seat. We all had seat belts on. I had a epileptic seizure and they said my foot hit the throttle so we might have be going faster when we hit. I last recall doing the speed limit. I went to the left and missed a power pole but hit the railroad tracks(these tracks are banked up on dirt and rock). Which caused the Suburban to some how roll 4 to 5 times down the tracks.we ended up on the other side of the tracks on our rims. Every tire was blown. Every window was shattered except the front it had a hole in a center of it which a railroad tie came thru. There are impressions of the railroad road tracks on the Suburban. The driver side of the Suburban is smash down to the driver head rest. I ended up with a broken neck. Thank goodness my kids seats were reclined in the back or their necks would have broke. Not one part of this Suburban is not smashed. Everything flew out of it when we rolled. My son had to crawl out the window and search on the ground to find cell phones that flew out of the Suburban when we wrecked to call 911. The side air bags failed my family. I always felt safe with them. But we rolled and they did not work. Even the front airbag didn't go off when I first hit the tracks. Besides my broken neck it all turned out good. I will never buy a Chevy again. Our insurance company said our Suburban is totaled. Only thing worth anything is maybe the seats. Everything thing else is scrap metal. If you'd like to see pictures your welcome to contact us. But please check into these Suburban. If we wouldn't have had seatbelts we would all be dead. My husband went and bought a 2015 Ford. I will never put my trust in a Chevy again. Or airbags. I'm wondering if they just put a airbag sticker in them to make us feel safe. Thank you

- Havre, MT, USA

Feb 062014

Suburban

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that the dashboard exhibited several six inch length cracks on the driver's side and also near the passenger's side air bag housing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximately failure mileage was 130,000.

- Humble, TN, USA

Jul 102014

Suburban

Interior chrome door handles peeling. Peeling chrome extremely sharp. I've had my fingers pricked by the peeling chrome and my wife got a small cut on her finger from it. Very sharp.

- Hanover, IN, USA

Jun 062014

Suburban 8-cyl

Dash cracked while Suburban was sitting still.

- Pace, FL, USA

Feb 052014

Suburban 8-cyl

Interior front door handles plastic chrome peeling and cutting hands.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Jun 142013

Suburban 8-cyl

Chrome peeling off of inside door handles has become hazardous, which cut 2 of my fingers. I'm now afraid to open my door w/O getting cut. Please consider this as a recall item.

- Jackson, TN, USA

May 192013

Suburban

We were driving home when a person ran a red light and hit us. We were crossing an intersection about 15 miles an hour and they hit the front part of our Suburban. Everything was damaged the hood, and everything inside the hood sustained damage. There was a liquid that was leaking but I am unaware of the substance. The person that hit us must have been going about 40-60 miles an hour. After they fled the seen police mentioned that their air bags were deployed. My concern was why our air bags did not deploy as well. My daughter and I both hit our heads on our side windows. My son had slight injury mostly from the seatbelt. My sons door had to be opened from the police officer on the screen. My biggest concern was about the airbags and also the onstar did not work as well.

- Laredo, TX, USA

May 082010

Suburban 8-cyl

The exterior door handles pull out of the car body on my 2007 Chevy ltz Suburban.. the design appears to use plastic plugs that either break apart or deteriorate, causing the door handles to break loose when grabbed and pulled to open the doors. My handles have all broken loose at the forward end of the handle, with the rear end remaining attached. This has happened multiple times, the first of which may have been in 2010. I believe I initially had the drivers door and the right rear door handles replaced under warranty (before 3 year/36,000 miles). I believe that a second incident happened to the front right (passenger) door, possibly in 2011, and the dealer also replaced it without charge as part of a GM acknowledged defective item recall. Recently, in April 2013, I again noticed the front right passenger door handle had broken again. I just had the car in for servicing at the Chevy dealer, however I was told that the manager stated that I would have to pay (prox $200) to have the door handle replaced. I paid for the repair and will have to file a claim with GM for reimbursement. I have seen many reports on the internet about this defective door handle problem on 2007 Chevy Suburban, as well as on similar GM vehicles. The door handle is a very poor design that GM should have corrected, and have replacement handles provided at no charge to car owners. This is my third Suburban going back to 1992, all of which have never had any serious defects. I take care of my Suburban, and it looks almost new having only 33,800 miles. I am single, and only occasionally have other passengers in the car, who may use the other door handles. This means that all the door handles have not been used that often. There is obviously a design flaw in the attachment of these door handles to the car body. This should have been corrected by GM., and replacements offered owners.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 312012

Suburban 8-cyl

The dash on my 2007 Suburban cracked on the driver's side in front of the instrument bezel area. This same exact crack has appeared on hundreds if not thousands of Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Yukon XL, and Silverado trucks for this vehicle cycle. Also on other similar dash panels an additional crack has appeared by the passenger airbag. Recently GM has redesigned the dash so that it will not crack in these areas, but they have failed to issue any sort of recall to the current owners with defective dashes and fix the dash that could pose a safety risk if the vehicle is involved in an accident.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Apr 292012

Suburban

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that the rear automatic lift gate was opened and fell down, abruptly striking the contact in the head. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the support struts on the rear lift gate failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 79,467. Updated 05/31/12

- Durham, NC, USA