CarComplaints.com Notes: Engines shouldn't need a new quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, but for thousands of Suburban owners that's exactly what's happening. Engine oil consumption on aluminum block engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) is out of control and owners are left looking for answers.

The most likely culprit is an uncovered AFM valve which, in many cases, can be covered under warranty. The problem is the issues don't stop there and many owners have been told by GM just to buy a new engine. Take one guess who they want to pick up the tab.

2007 Chevrolet Suburban miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Suburban:

2007 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012013

Suburban

I have several cracks throughout my dash and am concerned that I will have additional dangerous sharp plastic fragments in addition to metal fragments from the open air bag recall. This has been a known problem GM has failed to address. In addition, I also have a problem with engine temps heating up to where the ac goes into fail safe that GM says they cannot fix even at my expense. After about 10-15 minutes running in idle to launch my boat I came back to find my children diaphoretic in their car seats and had to use my skills as a paramedic to cool them down due to the extreme temperature in the vehicle. I cannot even sit in drive for a few minutes picking up the children without this happening. I put a temporary fix on with an aftermarket electric fan after replacing the fan clutch and whole cooling system in the vehicle, plus 3 ac compressors now to buy me a few more minutes. GM does not care about the safety of their customers. I now only use the vehicle in the winter when the children are with me for their safety.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 012011

Suburban

Dash cracked while still under warranty, I had it replaced once and it cracked again. It has just gotten worse over the years. It now has multiple cracks all over the dash and rattles when you drive down the street. Not only does it pose a safety concern but S one of the most annoying things ever.

- Jupiter,, FL, USA

Apr 072014

Suburban

My dash has cracked above the steering wheel control area all the way up. I have tried to repair with plastic epoxy and a vinyl repair kit and it still looks horrible. Due to the degree of poor performance with this cheap piece and possible fracturing upon airbag inflation it is very dangerous and should be recalled. GM isn't taking responsibility for the manufacturing defect.

- Taylorsville, NC, USA

Jul 232016

Suburban

The dashboard around the airbag has cracked in multiple places. This is alarming as the integrity of the dash/ air bag is now at risk. Should theses airbags deploy I am afraid the plastic will hit myself or worse my wife and family.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Sep 202015

Suburban

I noticed last year that my driver side dash had a crack between the windshield and the steering wheel and at first was shocked as I thought I was seeing things but infact it was cracked. I contacted my car detailer and asked if he noticed it and he told me he sees this in many Suburban's and escalades that he details and thought I was aware of it and would contact the dealership! I contacted the dealership that said it was not common and asked if I use a sun shade being that it's so hot in South Florida & I told them I always do and I have a 1996 Isuzu trooper and I don't have any cracks in my dash. The dealership said there was nothing they could do. I recently recieved a recall letter stating my vehicle had an airbag recall and when I went online to check the status I saw all these complaints about owners of Chevy Suburban's with dashboards cracking. I was on lunch break today and when I got in my truck I wanted to take a closer look at the airbag compartment and to my disbelief, the passanger side dash also had a crack in it now and in the exact same spot as all the other complaints just above the passanger side airbag compartment and same area on the drivers side. Being that both Suburban's & escalades are manufactured by GM, I now know there's a serious problem and GM needs to take responsibility for this defect for the amount of money these vehicles cost!!! ( $72,000 was what my Southern Comfort custom Suburban cost me.) so GM what are you going to do about these ongoing issues with cracking dasboards/airbags"?" this is just the begining of my fight on this problem that should not have happened. And I see I'm just one of many complaints with this problem.

- Miramar, FL, USA

May 102010

Suburban

Cracked dash. The vehicle's dash began to crack in several places including adjacent to the passenger airbag when the vehicle was approximately two years old. At the three year point (mid 2010), just outside of the warranty period, I was able to convince the local dealer to replace the dash at a 50% cost to me. Almost exactly three years later (mid 2013) I developed the exact same cracks. Upon consultation with the dealer I was told there was no GM program to mitigate the cost of a second replacement. My concern is with regard to the impending passenger side airbag recall. How will the airbag be replaced without removing and replacing the severely cracked dash. The brittle plastic associated with this dash, specifically in the vicinity of the passenger airbag is a safety concern.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Feb 092015

Suburban

Dash pad cracked. Crack starts by upper left corner of passenger side dash airbag pad and goes toward windshield. Seems to be a common problem as stated to me by dealership where I bought the vehicle. After my vehicle was recently totaled, I went to see another Suburban, a 2008 which had a cracked dash with identically placed crack. Dealer wanted $750 just for the part. Wondering if the crack will affect airbag deployment.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

May 272016

Suburban

The dashboard on our 2007 Chevrolet Suburban has cracked for the 2nd time. The first time the dealership eagerly replaced that dashboard after about 2 yrs. Now 165,000 miles later the dashboard is cracked again (cracked about 2 yrs ago) in multiple places and no one wants to take responsiblity for this potentially serious safety concern. I think it is sad that we could end up like the airbag recall where it is too late before something will be done. We have kept this Suburban because it runs good and it has provided a safe means of transportaion for our 3 teenage boy drivers up to this point. It has not been involved in any accidents at this time but we don't want to find out what parts go flying if there is an accident. Chevrolet needs to own up to this problem and agree to fix it no matter what the mileage-it was aleady replaced once so obviously it's not owner neglect!

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 282015

Suburban

I purchased my Chevy Suburban and notice a small crack on my dashboard. After only a few months after purchased I notice the same crack on my dashboard extending toward the airbag and down to the instrument panel. I am concern due to it may affect the airbags performance. If someone can please look into this matter. I would appreciate it. Best, carina

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 102016

Suburban

Cracked dash above the instrument panel and at the top of the passenger airbag compartment. Front impact collision could cause pieces of dash to puncture airbag or injure passengers.

- Troy, MO, USA

Jun 012015

Suburban

Dashboard is cracked at passenger airbag and over steering wheel.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Dec 012013

Suburban

My dash started to crack about 2 months after I bought it. It started with a small crack near the airbag; but has now has expanded causing the airbag cover to lift. The dash is now cracked on both driver and the passenger side. I bought the vehicle 3 years ago and have spoke with the service department on numerous occasions in regards to fixing the problem as it seems to be progressing over the years; but each time I have been told that the manufacturer is only willing to cover a percentage.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 092016

Suburban

2 noticeable cracks on the dashboard, one on the passenger side near the corner of the airbag and the other in the driver side in front of the steering wheel

- Alisoviejo, CA, USA

Feb 152016

Suburban

The dash is cracked, it is cracked by the air bag and if in a accident can cause srapnal to fly all over

- Riskin, FL, USA

Jan 162016

Suburban

3 door latches have stopped working and will not allow the door to stay shut. This can obviously be very dangerous if they were to give out when driving and it seems to be a very common problem from what I have heard.

- Colbert, WA, USA

Jan 102014

Suburban

Dashboard cracks near airbag pose safety problem. GM will not resolve.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Suburban

Entire dashboard has severe cracking and loose pieces of the dashboard due to cracking. This situation creates an unsafe condition which could cause bodily harm in the case of an accident specifically in the deployment of the air bag. The small cracked pieces of the dashboard are small enough for a child to swallow creating a choking hazard.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 202015

Suburban

I have a 2007 Suburban that has a cracked dash along the instrument panel and over by the air bag... chevorlet will not fix it because it is not under recall and vechile is out of warranty and says I will have to come out of pocket to have it fixed. I think is a defect in your dashes as I use a sun shield and it still cracked and I dont have the money to fix something I feel is a defect in the way you make you dashes. I am scared that if the air bag deploys on the passenger side that someone may get hurt because of the way it is cracked. I would to have this resolved and not have to come out of pocket and take away from my 5 children to have this issue fixed when I feel it's a defect on ya'lls part.

- Water Valley, MS, USA

Feb 092014

Suburban

I purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban approximately 18 months ago. It had approximately 86000 miles on it. At approximately 89000 miles the dash began cracking. It has continued to crack ever since. The first one was on the left front of the passenger side airbag. Since then I have numerous cracks on the drivers side over the instrument panel. This could be a hazard if the air bag is deployed and the dash breaks further and sends projectiles of the dash material airborne in a crash. This seems to be a problem with all of these model vehicles from 2007 to 2011. I believe it should be addressed and paid for by GM. Some of these cracks have happened while moving and one even happened from the interior getting cold inside.

- Atmore, AL, USA

Oct 022015

Suburban

The odometer instrument cluster went out on my 2007 Suburban and the radio is changing stations on its own. Also the metal trim on my door handles and heating/ac controls is peeling apart and cutting my hands. In addition, the engine burns oil and I have checked it out by three different dealers/mechanics and they cannot find any leaks. I have seen a lot of similar complaints and I believe Chevy should repair these items at no cost to owners.

- Henderson, CO, USA