CarComplaints.com Notes: Engines shouldn't need a new quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, but for thousands of Suburban owners that's exactly what's happening. Engine oil consumption on aluminum block engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) is out of control and owners are left looking for answers.

The most likely culprit is an uncovered AFM valve which, in many cases, can be covered under warranty. The problem is the issues don't stop there and many owners have been told by GM just to buy a new engine. Take one guess who they want to pick up the tab.

2007 Chevrolet Suburban seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Suburban:

2007 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 012014

Suburban

The dark in cracking in multiple places including around the air bag. The danger is the dash itself could become pieces of shrapnel in an accident where the airbag would deploy. The cracks occurred while driving and we have been told it is due to the tight fit of the dash in the space allowed. This is our second dash as the first cracked dash was already replaced.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Feb 162016

Suburban

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph and approaching an intersection, another vehicle driving at high speeds crashed into the driver's side of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy with the significant impact. The driver struck her head on the windshield and sustained a bruise to the head and neck pain. The rear driver seat occupant suffered from a head concussion. Additional medical attention was not required for the driver and passenger. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Villanoca, PA, USA

Aug 012009

Suburban

Dash cracked on right side at air bag and on left side behind steering wheel. Retaining clips that hold dash together are also broken and causing the dash to be loose around air bag area. Same ongoing issue as reported by thousands of other owners.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Jan 102014

Suburban

Dashboard cracks near airbag pose safety problem. GM will not resolve.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Suburban

Entire dashboard has severe cracking and loose pieces of the dashboard due to cracking. This situation creates an unsafe condition which could cause bodily harm in the case of an accident specifically in the deployment of the air bag. The small cracked pieces of the dashboard are small enough for a child to swallow creating a choking hazard.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Dec 212015

Suburban

Dashboard is cracked up to air bag compartment.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Mar 132015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

My two children and I where coming home from a wrestling tournament traveling on a highway doing about 65 mph. They were in the back seat. We all had seat belts on. I had a epileptic seizure and they said my foot hit the throttle so we might have be going faster when we hit. I last recall doing the speed limit. I went to the left and missed a power pole but hit the railroad tracks(these tracks are banked up on dirt and rock). Which caused the Suburban to some how roll 4 to 5 times down the tracks.we ended up on the other side of the tracks on our rims. Every tire was blown. Every window was shattered except the front it had a hole in a center of it which a railroad tie came thru. There are impressions of the railroad road tracks on the Suburban. The driver side of the Suburban is smash down to the driver head rest. I ended up with a broken neck. Thank goodness my kids seats were reclined in the back or their necks would have broke. Not one part of this Suburban is not smashed. Everything flew out of it when we rolled. My son had to crawl out the window and search on the ground to find cell phones that flew out of the Suburban when we wrecked to call 911. The side air bags failed my family. I always felt safe with them. But we rolled and they did not work. Even the front airbag didn't go off when I first hit the tracks. Besides my broken neck it all turned out good. I will never buy a Chevy again. Our insurance company said our Suburban is totaled. Only thing worth anything is maybe the seats. Everything thing else is scrap metal. If you'd like to see pictures your welcome to contact us. But please check into these Suburban. If we wouldn't have had seatbelts we would all be dead. My husband went and bought a 2015 Ford. I will never put my trust in a Chevy again. Or airbags. I'm wondering if they just put a airbag sticker in them to make us feel safe. Thank you

- Havre, MT, USA

Oct 292014

Suburban

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. While driving approximately 10 mph, the driver and passenger side curtain air bags inadvertently deployed. The contact sustained lacerations on the nose, but medical attention was not required. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Ora Valley, AZ, USA

Jan 012013

Suburban 8-cyl

The dashes of all GM trucks and SUVS are cracking, badly. They're designed poorly and crack right around the passenger airbag deployment section. In the event of air bag deployment, it will send jagged plastic shards towards the occupants. This is completely unsafe and a serious hazard but GM refuses to correct the issue even though it has been acknowledged, hence I am filing this complaint. If you simply google GM cracked dash and enjoy all the posts and videos from frustrated americans. I have 4 daughters and it not right to have to worry about one of the being injured but a faulty dash please help. Thank you.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 072014

Suburban 8-cyl

Dash cracking around passenger airbag. Suspect deployment could send shoot plastic at driver and passenger.

- Menasha, WI, USA

Jan 012012

Suburban

The door handles have cut three members of my family because the metal is peeling off of the plastic. Seat belts are falling apart and at least 3 of them do not latch at all. This is very dangerous. There definitely should be a recall especially for the seat belts. Air bag light is constantly on and the dealer of course wants to "fix" it and states that if there is a crash that it may not work properly.........this after I had the top half of the engine rebuilt due to oil consumption problem. Then there is the tire pressure monitor which apparently has issues after having new tires put on my car. Nothing but problems with this hunk of junk. Will never buy another Chevy vehicle.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

Sep 032012

Suburban

My dash began with a small crack on the left side of the top of the airbag. We then had a very long crack on the driver's side over the hump. I took the car to the Chevrolet dealership I bought it from and they said it was not under my warranty and that I would have to pay out of pocket. About 6 months ago another long crack on right side of airbag developed. Airbag is partially exposed and I feel it is a safety concern. After doing some research, it seems this is an extremely common problem in these automobiles. There's even a facebook group complaining of this common problem!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 022012

Suburban

While driving vehicle, heard a loud noise-- thought initially a rock had hit windshield. When stopped vehicle, noticed that the dash had cracked at both front edges of airbag on passenger side of dash. Went to local Chevy dealership shortly afterwards, was told no warranty as vehicle past 36K mileage limit. I inquired as to safety of these cracks, asking what might happen if airbag deployed and "pieces of dash were projected at passengers". dealer indicated nothing they could do.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Oct 102012

Suburban

The plastic on the dash around the air bag has cracked. I am afraid to have anyone sit in the front passenger seat. If the airbag deploys the dash is going to break apart.

- New Bern , NC, USA

Jun 042012

Suburban 8-cyl

Dash on vehicle has cracked at the airbag on the dash on the passenger side.

- Powell, TN, USA

Sep 032011

Suburban 8-cyl

Dash cracked in three places, two around passenger airbag cover, one directly over steering wheel.

- Oxford, MS, USA

Feb 012011

Suburban

Check air bag light came on. Had it checked out at a GM dealer, but they could not tell me if it would be $400 or $4,000. I have a real problem paying this much for an item that I feel should be covered under recall. As a safety professional, I think it is unconscionable to drive without an air bag, but the cost is also unconscionable when the vehicle has only $65,000 miles. I may weigh my options and park it in the hopes of hearing about a recall.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Mar 182010

Suburban 8-cyl

I was driving on highway 52 around winston salem, nc on thrusday March 18th, 2010 when all (4) airbags deployed. I was traveling about 60 mph in the left lane of multi-lane traffic; but was able to keep control of the car, change lanes and get to an exit and stop the vehicle. There was no collision or warning that the airbags were going to deploy. The vehicle was turned over to the dealer on 3/20/2010 to investigate and follow up with GM. On 3/22/10 the dealer called and said they had looked at the car but were instructed by GM not to do anything further and that I need to call GM to get a case # for an investigation. I called and after several transfers and call backs I was assigned case # 71-814346366 and told that I would get a call back within two business days on what actions were being taken. On 3/25/10 I received a call and was informed that an inspector would be sent to the dealership to check out the car. To date have I received no further communications from GM and as of 4/8/10 the dealership has not received any notice on when or if an inspector is scheduled to check out the car. This was a serious incident and should have been investigated immediately. There a thousands of similar vehicles on the road that could have the same defect and it seems the manufacturer doesn't want to find out what the problem is. Your help in investigating this issue will be very important to the safety of driving public. Thank you. Updated 04/16/10.

- Winterville, NC, USA

Jun 302008

Suburban

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that the stabilitrack warning light continued to illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. While driving 40 mph, all six side curtain air bags deployed without impact or rollover. She was unable to see out any of the windows and the passenger compartment became filled with smoke from the air bag debris. The contact was injured. The dealer found no failures with the vehicle. The insurance company sent a crash team to investigate the failure and they stated that although there was no recall, the air bag sensors were too sensitive and would activate without warning. They also stated that they observed several similar instances with the same model vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 24,000.

- Bell Chaff, LA, USA

Oct 172006

Suburban

Car is 2007 Chevrolet Suburban - 2 months old. Check engine and check air bag lights came on. Then, next day car would not start and was jumped easily. After 2 days at dealership service dept., decided it was the cdm. 15 days later cdm came in but, service techs found 4-5 wires "burnt up". wiring harness is broken. After 6 days wiring harness is in and being replaced currently. Dealership is not sure this will solve the problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA