Print this page Notes: Engines shouldn't need a new quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, but for thousands of Suburban owners that's exactly what's happening. Engine oil consumption on aluminum block engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) is out of control and owners are left looking for answers.

The most likely culprit is an uncovered AFM valve which, in many cases, can be covered under warranty. The problem is the issues don't stop there and many owners have been told by GM just to buy a new engine. Take one guess who they want to pick up the tab.

2007 Chevrolet Suburban seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Suburban:

2007 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 052016

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags); however, the part to do the recall repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Feb 012007

Takata recall Chevrolet dealer will not fix the problem which means our family is driving a killing machine because we cannot afford to lease or buy another vehicle. We would like to know what recourse we have?

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jul 232016

The dashboard around the airbag has cracked in multiple places. This is alarming as the integrity of the dash/ air bag is now at risk. Should theses airbags deploy I am afraid the plastic will hit myself or worse my wife and family.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Sep 202015

I noticed last year that my driver side dash had a crack between the windshield and the steering wheel and at first was shocked as I thought I was seeing things but infact it was cracked. I contacted my car detailer and asked if he noticed it and he told me he sees this in many Suburban's and escalades that he details and thought I was aware of it and would contact the dealership! I contacted the dealership that said it was not common and asked if I use a sun shade being that it's so hot in South Florida & I told them I always do and I have a 1996 Isuzu trooper and I don't have any cracks in my dash. The dealership said there was nothing they could do. I recently recieved a recall letter stating my vehicle had an airbag recall and when I went online to check the status I saw all these complaints about owners of Chevy Suburban's with dashboards cracking. I was on lunch break today and when I got in my truck I wanted to take a closer look at the airbag compartment and to my disbelief, the passanger side dash also had a crack in it now and in the exact same spot as all the other complaints just above the passanger side airbag compartment and same area on the drivers side. Being that both Suburban's & escalades are manufactured by GM, I now know there's a serious problem and GM needs to take responsibility for this defect for the amount of money these vehicles cost!!! ( $72,000 was what my Southern Comfort custom Suburban cost me.) so GM what are you going to do about these ongoing issues with cracking dasboards/airbags"?" this is just the begining of my fight on this problem that should not have happened. And I see I'm just one of many complaints with this problem.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 112016

Takata recall. I received a recall notice last week, months after it's issue. I have been told there is no remedy as yet. I feel that if this is not corrected soon, then a buyback is in order. How can we drive a vehicle that is dangerous?

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Mar 182016

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that while parked, the air bags located on the both front doors deployed inadvertently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Jun 032016

Vehicle in motion, turning from a stop in the city when all side airbags deployed. Insurance determined it was not a collision. GM is investigating our claim.

- Duvall, WA, USA

Feb 102016

Cracked dash above the instrument panel and at the top of the passenger airbag compartment. Front impact collision could cause pieces of dash to puncture airbag or injure passengers.

- Troy, MO, USA

Jun 012015

Dashboard is cracked at passenger airbag and over steering wheel.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Mar 012016

The dash has cracked in multiple places, notably around the passenger air bag. The larger dash panel was replaced by the dealer but has cracked again, twice. The smaller, forward dash panel is also now cracked. The dealer has refused assistance. All cracks occurred while stationary. This vehicle is garaged.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 012013

My dash started to crack about 2 months after I bought it. It started with a small crack near the airbag; but has now has expanded causing the airbag cover to lift. The dash is now cracked on both driver and the passenger side. I bought the vehicle 3 years ago and have spoke with the service department on numerous occasions in regards to fixing the problem as it seems to be progressing over the years; but each time I have been told that the manufacturer is only willing to cover a percentage.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 092016

2 noticeable cracks on the dashboard, one on the passenger side near the corner of the airbag and the other in the driver side in front of the steering wheel

- Alisoviejo, CA, USA

Nov 012014

The dark in cracking in multiple places including around the air bag. The danger is the dash itself could become pieces of shrapnel in an accident where the airbag would deploy. The cracks occurred while driving and we have been told it is due to the tight fit of the dash in the space allowed. This is our second dash as the first cracked dash was already replaced.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Feb 162016

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph and approaching an intersection, another vehicle driving at high speeds crashed into the driver's side of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy with the significant impact. The driver struck her head on the windshield and sustained a bruise to the head and neck pain. The rear driver seat occupant suffered from a head concussion. Additional medical attention was not required for the driver and passenger. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Villanoca, PA, USA

Aug 012009

Dash cracked on right side at air bag and on left side behind steering wheel. Retaining clips that hold dash together are also broken and causing the dash to be loose around air bag area. Same ongoing issue as reported by thousands of other owners.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Jan 102014

Dashboard cracks near airbag pose safety problem. GM will not resolve.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Entire dashboard has severe cracking and loose pieces of the dashboard due to cracking. This situation creates an unsafe condition which could cause bodily harm in the case of an accident specifically in the deployment of the air bag. The small cracked pieces of the dashboard are small enough for a child to swallow creating a choking hazard.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Dec 212015

Dashboard is cracked up to air bag compartment.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Mar 132015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

My two children and I where coming home from a wrestling tournament traveling on a highway doing about 65 mph. They were in the back seat. We all had seat belts on. I had a epileptic seizure and they said my foot hit the throttle so we might have be going faster when we hit. I last recall doing the speed limit. I went to the left and missed a power pole but hit the railroad tracks(these tracks are banked up on dirt and rock). Which caused the Suburban to some how roll 4 to 5 times down the tracks.we ended up on the other side of the tracks on our rims. Every tire was blown. Every window was shattered except the front it had a hole in a center of it which a railroad tie came thru. There are impressions of the railroad road tracks on the Suburban. The driver side of the Suburban is smash down to the driver head rest. I ended up with a broken neck. Thank goodness my kids seats were reclined in the back or their necks would have broke. Not one part of this Suburban is not smashed. Everything flew out of it when we rolled. My son had to crawl out the window and search on the ground to find cell phones that flew out of the Suburban when we wrecked to call 911. The side air bags failed my family. I always felt safe with them. But we rolled and they did not work. Even the front airbag didn't go off when I first hit the tracks. Besides my broken neck it all turned out good. I will never buy a Chevy again. Our insurance company said our Suburban is totaled. Only thing worth anything is maybe the seats. Everything thing else is scrap metal. If you'd like to see pictures your welcome to contact us. But please check into these Suburban. If we wouldn't have had seatbelts we would all be dead. My husband went and bought a 2015 Ford. I will never put my trust in a Chevy again. Or airbags. I'm wondering if they just put a airbag sticker in them to make us feel safe. Thank you

- Havre, MT, USA

Oct 292014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. While driving approximately 10 mph, the driver and passenger side curtain air bags inadvertently deployed. The contact sustained lacerations on the nose, but medical attention was not required. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Ora Valley, AZ, USA