1.4

2008 Chevrolet Suburban brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Suburban:

2008 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Mar 062016

Suburban

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. While driving approximately 60 mph, all the warning indicators illuminated and the check engine light kept flashing. The braking ability seized. The contact had to maneuver to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power control module system malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 152015

Suburban

Brakes do not catch every time. Had them replaced but still have issues where it seems that when your pressing them to slow or stop it takes them a while to catch. Saw where earlier models had brake line issues.

- Providence Village, TX, USA

Sep 082015

Suburban

Purchased the truck in March 2013 with approx 63K miles on it. In November 2013, stabilitrak warning came on. Took to Chevy dealer who replaced spark plug and new battery. In January 2015, stabilitrak warning light on again. Took truck immediately to dealer who hooked it up for diagnosis but did get any results. Light did not come on again until 9/8/15 when I was driving 70 mph on a highway. Service stabilitrak/service traction control/ABS all lit up. Strange noise coming from right front tire area when I attempted to slow down to pull off the highway, had no brakes. Pedal literally went to the floor. Luckily there was an incline so my vehicle slowed enough to allow me to get off the highway. Pulled off onto an emergency area just past the toll booths and had to use my emergency brake to stop. Luckily, I didn't have my 4 small children with me like I usually do. Now the extended warranty company is trying to deny my claim for repairs saying that the rust was the cause. I had the vehicle looked at by a certified authorized dealer who didn't notice the rust and I also had the truck inspected in July per MA law for safety and emissions and there was no mention of rust even though they do a pretty thorough inspection yet I, the consumer, am at fault when my wheel rips apart from the hub while traveling 70 mph"!? this is obviously a huge problem. People in the northeast drive SUVS -and come into contact with salt every winter. Isn't that the point of having an SUV?!". never again will I buy a GM and I will be sure to tell anyone and everyone I know to avoid them as well. Shame on GM for putting consumers in potentially life-threatening situations because of the obvious use of inferior materials. I hope the NHTSA takes a really close look at this problem and force GM to address it.

- Walpole, MA, USA

May 142012

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this car in May 2013 with 76,000 miles as a certified used vehicle from a GM dealership in NJ. I noticed on test drive brake vibration from the front. Before I picked up the vehicle they replaced new rotors and ceramic brake pads. Now at 17,000 miles later there is vibration again, once again the rotors are warped but the pads are perfectly fine. The service manager told me and I quote "it must have been a hot day and you took the car through a car wash warping the rotors." If GM is making their rotors with non-virgin steel this can happen. I have previously owned a 2005 Suburban with 100,000 miles, the rotors never warped and I only needed them changed once at 55,000 miles, I have a light foot. In 2010 I changed my 2005 Suburban for a 2009 Buick enclave this car was the first time I noticed in the 3 years of ownership that I needed rotors twice, in 3 years I had only put 30,000 miles on the car, so that lead to the purchase of the 2008 Suburban. I can't help but believe there is something wrong in the making of their rotors, they changed manufacturer maybe?? with this 2008 Suburban I have also contacted them with no answer or reply to the fact when my 12 year old son who weighs 108lbs sits in the front passenger seat the passenger air bag light is on one minute and then off the next minute. Sometime I can put my purse and a gallon of milk on the passenger seat and the air bag light is on will display. Yet my 108 lb child or my 86 lb child the air bag light will go from on to off. So they are my two safety concerns, the rotors warping repeatedly and the air bag light not working properly which GM has refused to comment on. Thank you. Updated 1/16/15

- Sparta, NJ, USA