1.5

2009 Chevrolet Suburban electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Suburban:

2009 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Sep 012015

Suburban

Within the first two years of owning the vehicle it developed cracks all along the dashboard. The cracks got bad enough that recently a large piece of the dashboard fell out. I have attempted to get Chevrolet to help pay for replacing it but they are unwilling and I cannot afford the entire bill alone. I am worried that the airbags will not work and that having electrical and mechanical exposed will cause harm to myself or the vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 042014

Suburban

While driving, vehicle suddenly goes into "reduced engine power" mode ("limp mode") with console message "traction contol disabled, service stabilitrak, engine power reduced". generally occurs when temperatures are lower than 25 degrees farenheit. Shutting down vehicle for several minutes and restarting leads to normal operation, however vehicle will generally repeat same problem within 5-15 minutes if outside temperature is cold enough (below 25 degrees farenheit). Error code P1235 (throttle position sensor 1-2 correlation...) is set, but may not persist in memory. GM is providing owners with additional protections for 10 years/120,000 miles under csc-10047220-3332 (bulletin no. 11273), however not all vins are included. Vehicle had throttle body (including sensor) replaced in 2010 and appears to be exhibiting exact problems covered by this bulletin, however GM dealer and GM are not extending protection for this vehicle. Dealer is recommending another new throttle position sensor and/or throttle body (including sensor), along with computer reset. This intermittent problem has occurred for more than three years and poses a significant safety risk when the vehicle is in motion at normal highway speeds (drastic sudden deceleration in traffic).

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

May 142015

Suburban

My 2009 Chevrolet Suburban began stalling in the middle of intersections after it had rained heavily the day prior. The shop discovered that the issue was the fuel system control module. There was a recall on this, but GM informed me that it excluded my VIN #. the problem with the module was exactly what is listed in the recall and was not related to "wear and tear" as suggested by randy with GM (senior advisor), but a faulty seal intended to prevent water infiltration. I am requesting a recall that includes my VIN...I am not sure how this can happen on the exact year and car listed in the recall, yet be excluded. I have found additional 2009 Chevy owners with the same issue through online blogs that also were denied this recall.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 292015

Suburban

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The contact had to disconnect and reconnect the battery or the electrical box under the hood in order to get the vehicle to start. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 103,089.

- Plains, GA, USA

Jul 242014

Suburban 8-cyl

Accelerating in traffic on a three lane road. At approximately 30 mph, the vehicle power steering, brakes, and acceleration locked up. I could barely turn the wheel and the brake pedal was unresponsive. I could not accelerate at all. I was able to muscle the car into a parking lot and jam on the breaks to coast to a stop. The power was still on the car, but the ac was not blowing as hard. After a restart, it worked normally.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jun 132012

Suburban 8-cyl

Vehicle driver side back door would not unlock using remote control. Cost over $300 to have Chevrolet dealer fix. Now in Feb 2014 with 7600 miles it started not working on the passenger side back door stop working with remote control. All other locks would open but not the rear door at that time. It appears their are issues with these door locks. The door locks will only open manually when they fail which is a pain due to the size of the vehicle.

- Ruckersville, VA, USA

Jul 152013

Suburban

Dashboard cracked by airbag and over instrument cluster hss to be safety issue dash board is loose and vibrates.

- Fort Sill, OK, USA

Sep 032012

Suburban 8-cyl

The discovery of the defect was on September 2012. There is a crack on the dash above the vehicles instrumentation I.e. speedometer, oil pressure, gas level, etc. I reported to local GM dealership (henry brown Chevrolet) about the defect and my concern for safety. They said there is no available safety recall for this problem. Thinking that this was an isolated case I did not pursue the matter. Then recently when I surfed the internet I came upon a group of GM vehicle owner with the same type of vehicle and the same type of issue. So I investigated further. Going to different web blogs, I found more GM vehicle owners with the same problem. Everybody have the same issue. They have cracked dash on their GM vehicles. Some have the cracks on both side where the passenger airbag is. The danger is that this might puncture the airbag and render it ineffective. The main concern is safety because I don't want my vehicle to fail on me and my family. If for some reason water gets in the vehicles instrumentation and causes an electrical short, me and my family could be in danger of a vehicle accident. I am trying to be proactive and have this problem resolved rather than wait to be a victim of an unsafe vehicle or cause another driver to be in an avoidable accident. We need this vehicles recalled so that GM can take responsibility and fix an unsafe vehicle.

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA

Dec 132012

Suburban

The door locks intermittently work. Seems to happen to a lot of people. Safety issue. Can't get in or out of vehicle. We had one fixed and now all of the doors are doing it. Sometimes the car locks itself.

- Humble, TX, USA

May 172013

Suburban 8-cyl

About a year ago the rear passenger door lock wouldn't work, now all door locks will not lock or unlock with remote or switch. Also will not lock/unlock when put into gear or back into part. Locks move slightly when you push the button but will not fully engage or disengage when manually pushed. No recall data available but I see many complaints.

- Spring, TX, USA

May 262011

Suburban

At 21,000 miles right read door lock would not operate electronically. Had to manually move door lock button. Dealer replaced lock actuator. At 49,000 miles driver's door lock also became inoperable. Dealer replaced actuator. This seems to be a chronic defect.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Nov 052011

Suburban

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Suburban. While parked, the contact exited the vehicle and was unable to unlock the driver side door. The contact turned the key to shut the vehicle off but the gear shift selector shifted into drive and began to reverse independently. The contact was able to depress the brake pedal and shut the vehicle off. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- Dover, DE, USA

Apr 262010

Suburban

Electrical malfunction on my 2009 Chevrolet Suburban ltz. The car was purchased new from the dealer in Nov 2009. Upon delivery, it was noted that the dash lights for function buttons did not illuminate and visor lamps were inoperable. Dealer assured us that they would fix the problem. The hazard occurs when the light completely go out on this vehicle while driving at night for no apparent reason. After four attempts to fix the problem and GM technical support has yielded no clear answers or assistance. I am concerned that my family will be injured in this vehicle.

- Haverhill, OH, USA