2.1

2009 Chevrolet Suburban engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Suburban:

2009 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Nov 302015

Suburban

Excessive oil consumption. Vehicle use 2 quarts of oil every 3000 miles. This is a know manufacturer defect but yet they are making me pay for the repairs.

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Jan 232015

Suburban

As I'm slowing down my car shoots out almost into traffic. It wore down both my front and rear break pads. Also burns oil. I have to add a full bottle O oil every couple O weeks. Has smoked from exhaust real bad one time before I knew to add oil. Now since yesterday July 13, 2015 it says to service stabilitrak and traction control is off.

- Monroe, MI, USA

Feb 192015

Suburban

I have noticed over the last few oil changes at every 3000 miles. There seems to be an extensive amount of oil consumption with this motor. It seems to me that it consumes a quart every 1000 miles. There is no visible leaks on the motor or any where in the engine compartment. Also I have noticed that at a cold start up there is a "puff" of black smoke that comes out of the tail pipe. This also can be confirmed by looking at the tip of the tail pipe and the rear body panel behind the tail pipe were black soot has formed.

- Braidwood, IL, USA

May 162013

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

The engine is burning 2 quarts of oil every 3000 miles.

- Greenacres, WA, USA

Mar 012015

Suburban 8-cyl

My cars engine suddenly lost power while it was on. The stabilitrak light and engine light both came on. I had to pull over. Car reset itself after I shut it off for few minutes. It happened again. I took it to dealer and despite the fact that they are aware that it seems to be a recurring issue, they say its not a recall issue. Apparently an oil sensor goes bad and despite the gauge showing its ok, the engine is operating with no oil. I change then oil every 3000-3500 miles so it should not have been an issue.

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Jul 142014

Suburban 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that while making a turn, the vehicle lost power and the engine stalled. The vehicle could be restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who performed a bg fuel injection cleaning and throttle body cleaning and reprogrammed the PCM. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000. Updated 8/28/14

- Hudson, FL, USA

Mar 262014

Suburban 8-cyl

No oil pressure light display. Shut off engine I had to add oil. I believe I have the same oil consumption problem many others have been concerned about. I've had to add oil to my Suburban ever since I bought it in 2009. I have to add oil every 1000 miles. Even if I've had an oil change. I carry extra oil with for fear of the no oil pressure light coming on. My most current problem was with oil still at 40%.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jul 102013

Suburban 8-cyl

Purchased a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban in 2010, with approximately 26,000 miles. It currently has 64,353 miles and the engine is vigorously consuming oil. On July 10th, 2013 I was on the parkway when I began to hear a ticking nose coming from the front of the vehicle, the warning indicator inside the car went off and the display read "oil pressure low", the actual reader gage was marking nearly at 0. I exited at the nearest exit, and had to refill the motor oil with nearly 6 qts. The next oil change is not due til about a month from now or another 600 miles. There aren't any visible leaks, the truck just seems to be burning oil faster than I can run it through to the next scheduled oil change or the 3,000 miles usually allowed by most oils. I have done some research and it appears that a good amount of this particular model have the same exact issue. I do not understand how it falls on the consumer to make such repairs when it is clearly a matter that should be corrected by Chevrolet. I don't believe this is a safety issue, but it is certainly a matter that should be taken care of as running a vehicle without motor oil could potentially kill the engine, and permanently disable a vehicle, or even worse bring up a class action lawsuit against the manufactures. I've been a faithful customer of Chevrolet but this could perhaps be a deal breaker for me, as it has been for many individuals whom have traded off their vehicles for something a bit more reliable.

- Yonkers, NY, USA