2009 Chevrolet Suburban seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Suburban:

2009 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Mar 172016

A crack suddenly appeared on my dashboard at the top left corner of the airbag the driving on the freeway. Since that time I have been getting random service airbag messages on my dash display and the passenger airbag will not frequently not go on when I have a front seat passenger.

- Brookings, SD, USA

Sep 012015

Within the first two years of owning the vehicle it developed cracks all along the dashboard. The cracks got bad enough that recently a large piece of the dashboard fell out. I have attempted to get Chevrolet to help pay for replacing it but they are unwilling and I cannot afford the entire bill alone. I am worried that the airbags will not work and that having electrical and mechanical exposed will cause harm to myself or the vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 232016

My 2009 Suburban has multiple cracks in the dash that continue to get worse. I also have new cracks that go from the natural dash seam to the airbag cover/encasing on the passenger side. This presents the question: If the airbag needs to deploy, what happens if the broken dash punctures it and it doesn't perform at all -or- what if the cracked dash becomes shrapnel and harms the passengers" it was clearly an unfinished design since the underside of the dash is completely hollow, it flaps up and down once cracked. It's no wonder they have cracked all the way across, they have absolutely no support under there. These vehicles are made to tow, get through all sorts of weather and road conditions, and haul a large group. But the dash can't withstand it" problematic.

- Haven, KS, USA

Jun 192016

Multiple cracks in the dashboard. Concerned of loose plastic in case of air bag deployment.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Feb 252016

There is a crack in the dash right in the corner of where the airbag deploys. I am concerned that if the airbag deploys pieces ofm the dash may come off with it. GM denies theres a problem and wont recall.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Dec 012014

My 2009 Suburban has a crack in the dash right near the airbags. It is about 1 1/2" in length. I am worried that it will crack worse and cause my airbags to deploy when not necessary or fail to deploy when needed.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jan 182013

The dash broke between airbag and forward edge of dash. I am concerned about the safety of passengers if the airbag is deployed and that sharp dash corner hits a person or the airbag. The dash to the left of the break is sinking down to where the clip holding on the airbag cover is visible. The dash vibrates excessively now while the car is moving. I expect more cracks due to this vibration.

- Sealy, TX, USA

May 012013

Suburban 8-cyl

Dashboard of 2009 Chevrolet Suburban cracked in 2 places, including around passenger side airbag and above drivers side instrument cluster/steering wheel. Concerned for the proper deployment of the airbag during potential crash due to the cracked dash that surrounds the airbag. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed. Hundreds if not thousands of other similar vehicles possess the same manufacturing defect in the dashboard and all have reported large cracks in the exact same area.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Nov 292013

2009 Chevrolet Suburban ltz cracked dashboard without being involved in an accident. Cracks started appearing over driver's side area above airbags. Very concerning if involved in an accident and airbags deploying and shards of plastic becoming flying projectiles and an obvious problem GM is fully aware of.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jul 152013

Dashboard cracked by airbag and over instrument cluster hss to be safety issue dash board is loose and vibrates.

- Fort Sill, OK, USA

Sep 032012

Suburban 8-cyl

The discovery of the defect was on September 2012. There is a crack on the dash above the vehicles instrumentation I.e. speedometer, oil pressure, gas level, etc. I reported to local GM dealership (henry brown Chevrolet) about the defect and my concern for safety. They said there is no available safety recall for this problem. Thinking that this was an isolated case I did not pursue the matter. Then recently when I surfed the internet I came upon a group of GM vehicle owner with the same type of vehicle and the same type of issue. So I investigated further. Going to different web blogs, I found more GM vehicle owners with the same problem. Everybody have the same issue. They have cracked dash on their GM vehicles. Some have the cracks on both side where the passenger airbag is. The danger is that this might puncture the airbag and render it ineffective. The main concern is safety because I don't want my vehicle to fail on me and my family. If for some reason water gets in the vehicles instrumentation and causes an electrical short, me and my family could be in danger of a vehicle accident. I am trying to be proactive and have this problem resolved rather than wait to be a victim of an unsafe vehicle or cause another driver to be in an avoidable accident. We need this vehicles recalled so that GM can take responsibility and fix an unsafe vehicle.

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA