2011 Chevrolet Suburban body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Suburban:

2011 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Jan 072016

Suburban

Cracked dashboard on the passenger side close to the airbag

- Weston, FL, USA

Jun 152016

Suburban

Driving with a travel trailer in tow in I-81 in NY on 6/15/16 we suddenly had extreme sway. My car/trailer had very good hitch/anti-sway devices. Without much notice, I lost control. I believe the frame supporting the hitch receiver failed causing a bad accident resulting in total loss of our tow vehicle and our airstream 25 foot travel trailer. I am a very experienced driver with this combination of tow vehicle, travel trailer, and hitch configuration. The onset and magnitude of the sway (violent) caused me to lose control as we were going 65 mph on the interstate highway. I have towed this same configuration for tens of thousands of miles with no instances of problems. Something drastic happened! I was passing a slow moving car, so was in the right lane heading South when I started to sway. I reached for the brake controller in an attempt to apply the trailer brakes. The sway drastically accelerated to the extent I was unable to reach the brake controller due to the violent motion. Within a few seconds, my vehicle came to rest against the guardrail on the right side of the highway (heading North) with the trailer jacknifed/perpendicular to the guardrail such that I was blocking both lanes of the highway. I examined the hitch and trailer coupling and all seemed normal except for damage from the crash. The hitch frame of the Suburban was torn and totally ripped from the vehicle on one side.

- Johnson City, NY, USA

Sep 152015

Suburban

My 2011 Chevrolet Suburban with about 85,000 miles on it has recently developed cracks in the dash. One at the rear left corner of the passenger-side airbag section, and another behind the instrument cluster on the driver side. The car is in immaculate condition other than the dash. Its an eye-sore to see these cracks every day. Had these cracks been there a year ago when we bought the car, we probably would not have bought it. Its sad to see that this is a systemic problem on all vehicles of this make/model/year range.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 012015

Suburban

The dashboard on my 2011 Suburban cracked above the instrument cluster while my wife was standing at a red light. Thousands of people on a specific facebook page( 07-13 cracked dash safety hazard for all trucks) from across America are experiencing the same problem on there GM SUV from 2007-2013 and no recall has been put out by GM. The dealers want between 1100 to 1600 dollars for the repair. GM has stated it is heat related but it is from inferior material they used to make these dash boards. If it was heat related every car in the world would have cracked dashboards.

- Hollis, NY, USA

Mar 172015

Suburban

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that the dashboard exhibited cracks that originated on the driver side and became progressively worse. In addition, the passenger side air bag seam was cracked. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers who stated that the entire dashboard would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Mar 202015

Suburban

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet surbuban. The contact stated that the front section of the dashboard cracked in six places. Also, while driving at any speed, the steering wheel shook. The contact stated that there were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Gonzales, LA, USA

Mar 132015

Suburban

Dashboard cracked while parked and these cracks have spread to become very large over short period of time. Large crack is above instrument panel and another is near passenger airbag. The dashboard is unstable between these two points and this could be potential safety hazard as dash could crack or splinter if airbag deployed causing injury to the passengers. Dashboard has been protected in garage or with sun deflector during ownership so dashboard cracks would be defect vs. Element related.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Nov 232015

Suburban

The dash above the instrument panel is cracked.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Aug 012015

Suburban

Very concerned that the cracks on the dashboard started around the passenger airbag and now have spread all the way across to the dial area. From what I have read it seems this is a happening to a lot of the GM/Chevy vehicles and is a problem GM should really issue a recall to fix. Are they waiting for someone to die when a airbag deploys and the sharp plastic the cracks are making immediately deflates the airbag and it is useless? step-up GM and issue the recall and fix the problem before it is too late and someone dies.

- Indian Land, SC, USA

Sep 252014

Suburban

In September 2014, I noticed my dash above the instrument cluster cracking. I purchased this car as a GM certified used car with original factory warrantee in April 2013 with 60081 miles on it. In less than 5 months of ownership it developed this crack while still under factory warrantee. I took it to my local dealer with all my paperwork and they said it was not covered, nor would they replace it. This crack has developed due to no fault of my own from neglect, excess wear and tear, excess sunlight or anything other than manufacture flaw. This crack has continued to spread and due to the thin and sharp nature of the plastic, if I were to get into an accident, this would splinter and act like shrapnel within the cabin. My family's life is danger due to this fact and GM refuses to acknowledge this is an issue. Please look into this as I know many others have the same issue with even 2015 models. I am asking for the safety of my family and yours.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Mar 182015

Suburban

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Suburban. Upon starting the vehicle, the dashboard started to shake independently. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that there were two cracks of significant size on the bottom part of the dashboard. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,300.

- Evans, GA, USA

Aug 062013

Suburban

Began to notice a mold/mildew smell in vehicle both in the cabin and when A/C on. Vehicle was taken to GM service dealers to locate problem. Unable to locate leak at first inspection. Another GM dealership acknowledged heavy mold smell in vehicle upon entering, however unable to locate. Consumer began to search for leak and found water had accumulated under floorboard of driver's side. Carpet/padding soaked and very strong mold odor upon lifting of carpet. Dealer still has vehicle as of 12/30 and no leak can be found. Manufacturer notified that service is unable to locate and repair. Additionally, consumer provided with a 2009 Chevy Suburban to drive as loaner vehicle. Found that the loaner also exhibited the same leak under driver side floorboard. Dealer was notified immediately and to investigate that vehicle leak as well.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Jul 152012

Suburban 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact stated that while stopped with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle lurched forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. Additionally, the rear lift gate closed on its own while the contact was standing underneath. The contact sustained bruising to her face. Also, the contact stated the vehicle hesitated to accelerate while depressing the accelerator pedal. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000.

- Beaverton, MI, USA