2001 Chevrolet Tahoe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 012014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Brakes failed do to rusted brake lines. Driving on 55 mph road stoplight turned just as I approached it stepped on the brake peddle and it slowly went to the floorboard. I could not stop in time and went through a red light, I was lucky, this could have been a disaster with loss of life. I was told all my brake lines were rusted and needed to be replaced at a cost of $1500.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 232014

Tahoe

The parking brakes do not work have owned the Tahoe for 2 years and never used the parking brakes now all the sudden the parking brakes makes a loud squealing noise and I think there is enough complaints about the brakes to warrant a recall before some one does get killed or injured.also they had a recall on the brakes and ABS but only in the so called salt belt and the owners that don't live there shouldn't have to pay to get the same thing fixed that the recall should cover in the first place no matter where you live.

- Eden, NC, USA

Apr 012014

Tahoe

ABS brake light would come on when trying to stop then it would not stop correctly and almost ran over curb onto sidewalk. Replaced sensor twice before the light and brakes worked correctly.

- St. Johns, MI, USA

Jun 162014

Tahoe

Driving home and pressed on brakes at a stop light and petal went to the floor. Pumped brakes and just barely stopped before hitting another car. Tahoe brake lines were completely rusted to nothing. This is a big problem!! many people don't look at their brake lines until they crash. Please get GM to fix this problem before more customers are hurt.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Jun 102013

Tahoe 8-cyl

I had just come off the highway and fortunately was completing a parallel park when the brake pedal could be pressed to the floor. The car did not stop. I essentially rolled into the car in front of me to stop. A large amount of brake fluid was on the ground near the rear drivers side wheel. When the car was stopped I opened the door and looked back as I pushed the brake pedal to the floor. I saw colored fluid spraying out sideways from the rear. Subsequently had brake line repaired.

- Jericho, NY, USA

Feb 122013

• 1,120,000 miles
I had to replace 2 brake lines that failed on separate occasions.the brake lines are covered in rust, the ABS system does not work and is now disconnected.the dealer stated ABS problem was front wheel sensors, after they replaced both sensors they than determined it was my ABS computer.I told them to learn how to troubleshoot on someones else's vehicle and removed it. The under carriage of this vehicle had been coated with a lite undercoating from the factory, as the coating falls you can see extensive rust on the exposed metal surfaces. In my opinion the metal was not prepared correctly before it was coated, for this to happen.the service manager from the dealer stated, the rust condition should be a class action law suit.I have purchase no corrosive brake line and will change lines as needed.

- Mount Sinai, NY, USA

Nov 012007

Tahoe 8-cyl

ABS brake light on dash stays on. I had all the sensors tested and they are ok. I had the computer tested and it shows a fault. But the ABS seems to be working fine. It appears that in order to get this error light to go off I have to spend a $1000 for a computer, even thought he system appears to be working properly. I have had numerous electrical issues with this vehicle since purchase.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Feb 222014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Brake line failure, resulting in loss of brake control. Brake line corroded.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Aug 302013

Tahoe 8-cyl

In pressing the brake pedal it went all the way to the floor because, as I found out later, all of the brake fluid had leaked out due to brake line rust and corrosion. No warning at all (e.g. soft pedal) and this vehicle doesn't have a speck of rust on it. I replaced all of the brake lines at a cost of nearly $1400.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Sep 022013

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Brakes went to floor before holding - no hydraulics. Brake line failure/rupture with heavy leak of brake fluid under driver seat area. Suspected corrosion.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jun 042013

Tahoe 8-cyl

My brake lines keep bursting. I wasn't even driving, I was in park, applied the brakes to put it gear and the pedal went right to the floor. This is the second time, I just spent $400 to have the rears replaced while on the road. I was stuck out of state. Now it happened again. Please help, I can't afford a repair right now.

- Canton, MA, USA

Aug 192013

Tahoe 8-cyl

My daughter was driving along the freeway when suddenly she had to brake and the pedal went down to the floor, the truck not stopping. She got in the slow lane and had to go very slow to her destination. Thank god she's a good driver or she could've killed herself or someone else. I met her at her destination to check out my truck and found that when you stepped on the brake pedal, brake fluid poured out from under the chassis of the truck in the area of the rear driver side door.so I looked at the rest of my brake lines and they are full of rust.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

Aug 072013

Tahoe 8-cyl

2001 Tahoe brakes failed...line rupture, causing my wife to plow through a red light at an intersection and narrowly avoid a crash. This is my third GM brakeline failure. The other two occurred on a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville, again with instant, no warning, loss of brake power. Fortunately, those events were in parking lots at very low speed. Yes, there is some, maybe 30% of brake power left on the Tahoe, but the stopping distance is magnified greatly once speed is above 15 mph. I can cite at least six other acquaintances with simialr brake line failures on GM vehicles from the Y2000 era design. Something is grossly wrong with GM, and perhaps others, brake line components. Just visually examine the brakelines and they appear ready to crumble at many places due to substantial exterior corrosion. Never had this problem on the many vehicles owned over the years. Make them fix it at their cost, please. I can't think of a single more critical system for driver safety on a vehicle than the brake system. It has to be physically reliable for the life of the car.

- Newark, DE, USA

Jul 212013

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that he attempted to decelerate but the brake pedal failed to respond. Upon inspection, it was found that the brake lines had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000. Updated 08/27/13

- Jackson, MI, USA

Jul 252013

Tahoe 8-cyl

Operating on the rear access road to a mall and noticed brake pedal almost went to the floor and it took a strong effort to stop the vehicle. Tried pumping brakes to see if pedal would rise, it did not. Checked brake fluid reservoir and it was slightly down. Looked under truck and no leak at all four wheels or on inside master cylinder cowl. Drove slowly to nearby mechanic and this time noticed dripping under driver side floor. Mechanic said I needed brake line replacement and am awaiting repair. Vehicle is well maintained, always parked on paved driveway, and waxed along with undercarraige car washes during the winter months. Purchased used from Chevy dealer and found left rear backing plate had almost rotted off exposing rear axle seals which dealer replaced within week of my purchase.

- Port Ewen, NY, USA

Jul 032013

Tahoe 8-cyl

My son was driving on I-95 into baltimore when he had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting another vehicle and the 2001 Tahoe immediately lost braking power. He was able to maneuver onto the shoulder to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of him but the brakes were no longer operating properly. There was no longer any resistance in the brake pedal and minimal stopping power. `he was able to bring the vehicle into a parking garage by driving slowly and in low gear. I had the vehicle towed home and examined it and determined that the brake fluid reservoir was empty and that it had leaked out of a corroded and broken brake line at the midpoint of the chassis. All of the metal brake lines are corroded and will need to be replaced. There was no advance warning of any impending brake line failure. The vehicle has been registered in Maryland since purchased new and there is relatively little snow that falls in the winter and as a result there is almost no other corrosion on this vehicle so seeing the brake lines corroded leads me to believe that an inferior grade of steel was used on this critically important component. To make matters worse the brake line in the area of the failure is located above the frame and is not visible from below and therefore cannot be inspected for corrosion. When the oil is changed and when the brakes are replaced the brake lines are checked but in the area of the failure as stated they cannot be inspected. I believe GM should be required to recall all vehicles with this type of metal brake line and be required to replace them with a better grade of stainless steel as it is reasonably foreseeable that fatalities will be the logical consequence of this type of failure in a significant percentage of these incidents.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Dec 202011

Tahoe

I was driving my 2001 Chevy Tahoe at moderate speed when the ABS and parking indicator light come on. In addition there was pulsing which I believe is from the ABS system when I tried slowing down from 25 mph. I did research on tsb and did find there was an issue with this kind of problem affecting GM SUV from 2000-2006 regarding speed sensor and corrosion of brake lines. I informed the Chevy dealer of this tsb and they refused to acknowledge this issue and wanted me to pay in excess of $1200 to fix this problem. I feel the dealer representing GM is not acting in good faith. As I told them this is a safety issue and not asking for anything unreasonable considering the assistance from tax payer. I appreciate your assistance. Regards.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 092012

Tahoe 8-cyl

I was driving down the road doing only 25 miles a hour and had my kids in the car I went to stop at a stop sign and brake pedal went right to the floor. When had it looked at they said all brake lines rotted. With a truck that only has 50,000 on it this should not happen. My husband keeps my truck mint if had to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say it is a 9.5 looks bran new.

- East Northport, NY, USA

Mar 072013

Tahoe 8-cyl

I was driving North on rt 67 in southbury ct. When a deer crossed the street in front of me. I applied the brakes firmly and at first they felt fine, then they just went to the floor. Fortunately the car slowed from the first application of the brakes since I no brakes after that point. Using the E-brake I inched my way to a safe spot on the side of the road and called a tow truck. The car is currently at a repair shop and I am waiting for an estimate. This incident appears to match many others related to EA11001. As you know, this might have turned out differently under other circumstances. Fortunately in my case, the deer jumped out at the right place at the right time. If the deer did not jump out and the brakes failed later in my trip I might have been on a hill or at a busy intersection where injury and property damage would have been a certainty. I find it remarkable that EA11001 is taking so long to resolve given the seriousness of this issue. Please provide me with any updated information. Thank you.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Nov 272012

Tahoe

Was coming to a stop at intersection. And could not stop, brakes failed.. mechanic says all lines are completely corroded.. extremely dissatisfied, seems many other GM owners have same issues, should be recalled huge safety issue with these vehicles.

- Kingston, TN, USA