2002 Chevrolet Tahoe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 262014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Brake lines rotted out at ABS system.

- Preston , CT, USA

Aug 202014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Traveling at 15mph on flat sidestreet, applied brakes to slow vehicle. Brake pedal went to floor. Vehicle narrowly avoided rear end impact with another car by steering into curb to stop my vehicle. Upon inspection, steel brake lines corroded and failed under vehicle on drivers side below drivers seat. Brake fluid squirting underneath vehicle and no braking ability.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Jul 312014

Driving vehicle down highway at 45 mph when applied brakes. The pedal fell to the floor. No brakes. Had been driving for 30 min. The main steel line going to the rear brakes has a rusted hole in line. When brake is applied fluid squirts out.

- Chickamauga, GA, USA

Jul 042014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Heading home from fireworks show with 3 children in the vehicle. Applied the brakes in our driveway... nothing, straight to the floor. I have delivered mail since 2000 (not in this vehicle ), I have had my share of brake problems. This complete failure of brakes was the worst I had ever experienced. If it were not for quick thinking and my husband's actions, we would have plowed head on into our home. I hate to think what would have happened if we could not stop at the 5 intersections on the way home. Both brake lines blew, rust, corrosion and now untold amounts of stories just like ours. I have always driven Chevrolet vehicles. Not anymore! if I have to tow this beast to the dealership to unload it, I will. I will go to a Chevy dealership and buy a Toyota. They can have this mess that they created. 5 lives were at risk last night. This is completely unacceptable.

- Covington, GA, USA

Jun 302014

Un-expectant failure of corroded brake line wife was operating a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe on a 4 lane divided highway at approximately 45 mph. When approaching an intersection, the light turned red and when she applied the brakes, the brake pedal "?went to the floor?? and the vehicle could not be stopped before entering the intersection. Wife kept pressure on the pedal and the vehicle finally came to a complete stop approximately 50 yards beyond the intersection. She was able to pull the vehicle into a parking lot a short distance later. Figuring the vehicle traveled approximately 100 yards from first applying the brakes until the vehicle came to a complete stop. Upon inspection, determined that one of the brake lines ruptured just below the driver?"S side door. The line that ruptured was very corroded in the vicinity of the rupture. All of the brake lines in the vicinity of the rupture also appear to be very corroded. Plans are to replace all of the brake lines. Had a similar problem with a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix where one of the brake lines failed un-expectantly due to corrosion. All of the brake lines on the Grand Prix were also replaced at the time of repair. Both vehicles are/were well maintained and garaged.

- Delmont, PA, USA

Jun 222014

I was out of town to visit family and as I was turning into a street and all of a sudden my brakes went soft and I had difficulty stopping. At first I thought what is wrong with this thing but as I got closer to a friends house the brakes no longer worked I had to push it to floor to slow down. I was so petrified I pulled over and waits for some friends to pick me up. I had to stay an extra day to wait to a shop to open. The mechanics stated I loss 2 brake lines and 2 calibers almost 700 I had to pay with no choice since I had to go home and work the same day. This was very upsetting and cost me tons of money I don't even have. This problem came with no warning what so ever.

- Danielson, CT, USA

Mar 062013

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph and depressing the brakes, the brakes malfunctioned and the vehicle would failed to stop. The contact indicated that after inspecting the vehicle he discovered that brake fluid would leak from the vehicle when depressing the brake pedal and the brake lines were rusted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,419.

- New City, NY, USA

Jan 012014

Tahoe 8-cyl

While coming to a stop sign, I began to press on the brake as I was stopping my brake pedal started to vibrate. Causing my vehicle to skid just past the stop sign. This has been going on if my ABS light on the dashboard is off, my braking is ok. But when the ABS warning light is not on I get that vivratiing feeling on my brake pedal just when I'm about to come to a full stop, kinda like pulsating. I been searching in the internet about cases like this and there are recalls, I need to know how can I include my vehicle in the recall. The area that I live in is really close to the ocean.

- Daly City, CA, USA

May 292014

The brake lines on this truck (and every other GM truck this era) are rusted beyond belief!!! I fix them and fix them and fix them - I'm trying to do them all but I do not have the funds...this time the pedal went straight to the ground and the truck kept going. Had a choice, hit a stopped school bus or hit a tree. I chose the tree. Not much damage, but could have been worse!!! I've seen many many posts online with people complaining about this issue - I go to the parts store and they stock the bulk line and fittings and know the size for GM trucks because the problem is so common - its crazy that GM put such ferrous metal in these truck brake lines. I own cars much older and with many more miles and there are no issues. Same geographic location, same roads, same parking - different results. Hmmmm....its obvious they used cheap inferior crappy lines that have not stood the test of time. The pedal going to the floor is absurd! no failsafes? and the antilock brake mechanism (valves/electronics) are located in a spot on the frame that was installed before the body was mated to the chassis! great!!! how the heck do you fix it? im thinking of cutting a hole in the floor above it and welding it back in! this is crazy...a recall should have been in place years ago.

- Wrightstown, NJ, USA

May 182014

Brake line located between the brake control module and the rear axle ruptured above the fuel tank during a stop from 45mph for a stop light causing me to have to veer into the right hand turn lane and ultimately turned into the cross traffic pattern. Fortunately, there was no traffic at the time so there was no crash. It is also fortunate that I was pulling a trailer with brakes to aid in my stopping or it may have been worse.

- Cleveland, WI, USA

May 112014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Brake line burst from being so rusty, unable to stop in time, was able to veer off to side to avoid collision.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Apr 112014

Tahoe 8-cyl

I took my car in to get it serviced as well as have the dealership cheek the brakes. I received a phone call stating that along with the rear brakes on the car, the parking/emergency brake pads needed to be replaced as well because they were having metal on metal contact. I thought it was odd that the parking brakes need to be fixed considering I have never used them before. The dealership finished up with the car and when I got it back, I began to notice some tugging going on when I would be driving through town or anywhere really. It felt as if I was pulling a trailer or boat when I was not. After a few days I noticed that the tugging sensation had began to die down. It was then that I read the parking brakes for this model were somehow receiving some type of contact that caused them to wear down very rapidly. I proceeded to follow the instructions in the manual on how to set the parking brake, considering I had never used it, and when I finished all the steps required, my car proceeded to roll backwards down the very slight incline. I called the dealership and brought the car back in for them to look at it. Turns out, I need new hubs along with a new set of parking brake pads and a few other things in order for the problem to be corrected. It angers me that GM has not issued any sort of statement to owners informing them about the issue. Nor have they issued any sort of recall on the matter. My parents bought the car brand new back in 2002 and drove it before I did. They never used the parking brake either. My brother who drives a Silverado of the same year also has had issues with the parking brake not working. There have been reports of the parking brake failing at 25,000 miles for some individuals. There is no telling when the parking brake first went out on my car, but it has been not functioning for a while from what I can gather from the dealership.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Feb 192014

Tahoe 8-cyl

I ran out of gas on the freeway going 65 mph with my 5 year old son in the car. Apparently when a Chevy Tahoe runs out of gas it shuts down the entire electrical system including power steering as well. I'm unsure of this ------> but it seems like the brakes are affected too. I had a very difficult time merging over to the right hand shoulder of the highway (I had to cross three lanes and merge with on-ramp traffic), given that I had very little steering control and had to use as much momentum as I already had to get off the road to safety, without being hit by someone traveling over 50mph. Plus other cars were not letting me over. I can see this becoming a very dangerous situation. GM just recalled a bunch of Tahoe years for this issue but not my year (2002). I would like to see them address this issue in my vehicle, but right now the mechanic at the dealership told me there are "currently no recalls on [my] vehicle" and I would have to pay out of pocket to diagnose/fix this problem. Also when I first got my car in 2009 I was waiting in line to board a ferry boat in Washington state, and turned the engine off, had the car in neutral, I thought I would "coast" down the ramp, this is when I first learned that this make/model does not steer or brake properly when the engine is off/dead. There was no incident at this time because I was only going 5 mph but I definitely felt that I did not have control of the vehicle.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 052009

Tahoe 8-cyl

I was crossing two lanes of traffic to take an exit ramp when the car in front of me came to a complete stop. I pressed the brakes on my Tahoe and the vehicle began to slow down, however, when I went over a rough area in the road the brakes released despite me pushing on the brake pedal. I ended up rear ending the stopped vehicle in front of me due to the brakes releasing on the rough part of the road. I have encountered this numerous times when I try to apply the brakes on a rough portion of road.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 012012

Tahoe 8-cyl

The rear brake line rusted through and there was a significant loss in brake power. This happened when I stopped at a store.

- Oakton, VA, USA

Dec 202012

Tahoe 8-cyl

Replaced brakes on rear of Tahoe go to bleed them a hard brake line busted. Looked at leaking area nothing but rust caked brake lines.could have been bad if I was driving when this happened.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Feb 222014

Tahoe 8-cyl

When I was pull a trailer down to a red lights my brakes went to the floor and had swerve to not hit the cars in front of me I got it on the side of the rood then the brake light cam on it scared the hell out of me my daughter was not with me she is two if some thing happened it would have devastated me or hurt some one I was pulling a trailer that 1000 tractor.

- Millersville, PA, USA

Feb 122014

Tahoe 8-cyl

At low speed the antilock brakes are activating for no reason. This vehicle was part of the recall performed in 2006. The issues have returned and the dealership will not support any repairs unless I pay for them. The recall was performed at 36,000 miles the vehicle has 95,000 on it now.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Sep 072012

While approaching a stop sign at a "T" intersection on a local set of residential roads, the brakes completely failed on my Tahoe. I did not have enough pedal to stop for the stop sign and blew through the intersection, thankfully without striking any cars. Upon inspection I found brake fluid streaming from the brake line where it was mounted to the frame at the left rear wheel well. I was able to pump up the brakes enough to limp the 3 miles at about 20 mph back to my house for a repair. I was quite dismayed to learn of all the problems that exist with rusted GM truck brake lines. I plan to replace the entire set this spring with a set of stainless steel ones but really would prefer that GM do it, since they are the ones who made the brake lines out of substandard materials to begin with.

- Bel Air , MD, USA

Jan 152013

Tahoe 8-cyl

I have an 02 Chevy Tahoe with only 70,000 miles on it garage kept was driving down the road one day and brake pedal went right to the floor almost crashed brake fluid all over the floor we looked under the vehicle and it was total rust and corroded I called the dealer to see if there was a recall they said that this is a known problem and I said that it should be a recall I almost got killed we take care of our vehicles very well and garage kept I can't afford the price of the brake lines or the labor I think that this should be recalled immediately I have read all the testimonials I don't understand what is the hold up on the recall it should be done immediately.

- Columbia, PA, USA