2002 Chevrolet Tahoe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jun 032013

Tahoe

First recall as: NHTSA campaign id number : 05V379000 I have experienced unwanted anti-lock brake activation during low speed braking. This has occurred several times in the past year (2012-2013), which would have resulted in a crash without evasive maneuvers and luck. I have called Chevrolet several times to ask about the original recall, which my vehicle was a part in. My vehicle was serviced in the first recall, which requires the technicians to inspect and clean the speed sensors. Well I guess the sensors have become dirty again and symptoms are recurring (vehicle has been in the "salt belt" area its entire life). Chevrolet will not service vehicle under current recall. I still see many of these popular vehicles on the road and think that their sensors may too become dirty again causing accidents. I think that it is due diligence for Chevrolet to continue to "clean" these sensors since they have issued a previous recall and the only fix was to "clean" the sensor and surface. Thank you for your time.

- Hughesville, MD, USA

Jun 222013

Tahoe

While dfriving my 2002 Tahoe I was nearing the traffic intersection and began applying the brake. The pedal went straight to the floor and I couldnt stop the vehicle. I panicked as an 18 wheeler was making a turn and I was going to hit it. I hit the emergency brake and nothing happened I saw an area with alot of gravel and did my best to aim the car at the gravel. Thank goodness the 18 wheeler sped up and I barely slipped behind it and put it in park nothing happened but a grinding sound at that point I just shut the car off and it slowly stopped. I got it towed and when they jacked it up they said the brake lines where completely rusted out and the reason why the emergency brake didnt work was it was rusted and snapped. GM needs to do something about this as I and my child could have been killed. There are tons of complaints about this and GM needs to step up before someone gets killed!

- Far Rockaway, NY, USA

Jun 102013

Tahoe 8-cyl

I was pulling into a local gas station and the ABS cause me to not stop in time.. I ended up hitting the building... cracking the brick work... the night before U notice the same thing... hopping when I was at a slow speed trying to stop but this was very brief and I stopped... I looked on line and saw there was a recall for the wheel speed sensor.. this defect cause increase stopping distance... I then called Chevrolet to see if the recall affect my vehicle, but the only open recall was a head restraint.. I took it to a local Chevy dealer to get it fixed, as I was driving there the ABS light came on.. the code the pulled was for the front right wheel speed sensor. They did have the part available due to the recall which fit my vehicle, but yet mine was not recalled...

- Olivia , MN, USA

Jun 042013

Tahoe 8-cyl

I started to notice "mushiness" in my brake pedal, especially when I was stopped at a light or stop sign. The vehicle wanted to push or drift. I noticed spotting on my carport floor. I examined my brake lines and they are very corroded, and considering they are stainless, they are not holding up and are failing prematurely. The vehicle only has 69000 miles on it. I checked my brake fluid and it was very low. On my way to purchase brake fluid, my warning light finally alerted me to the low fluid condition. It required an entire bottle to full the reservoir.

- Fayetteville, PA, USA

Mar 262013

Tahoe 8-cyl

This defect could have resulted in death if it had not happen in a parking lot at slow speed. No warning lights or other indicators, brake lines to the front of ABS unit burst which resulted in total loss of braking.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

Mar 142013

Tahoe 8-cyl

Dealer inspection of brake tubes (lines) indicate massive corrosion. Dealer recommends complete replacement of all brake lines and possibly calipers due to rust and corrosion.

- Greenwich, CT, USA

Dec 172012

Tahoe

My wife was driving the vehicle and went to stop and had lost brake power. One of the lines running to the rear brakes had ruptured due to rust/corrosion. I took the vehicle to the repair shop and was told that all of my brake lines and fuel lines had rusted/corroded so bad they could not repair just the one but would need to replace all of the lines!

- Columbia, SC, USA

Dec 072012

Tahoe

Rear brake like rusted out located on top of the frame rail above the gas tank on the drivers side. All other brake lines are very rusty.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Oct 092012

Tahoe

Brakes stopped working with no warning!!! unbelievable, thank god I was in a parking lot and able to very gently come to a stop by mashing on the brakes and hitting a parking curb. After a little research online it looks like there's a case you have opened for the same issue. When will there be a recall" does someone have to die? has someone died from this" we'll probably never know because who would think the brake lines would just go like that. Again, no warning, no lights, still no indicator light on!!! I apologize for my excitement but I'm just shocked this is a known issue and it hasn't been addressed. I consider hitting the curb to stop my vehicle a "crash". I know it doesn't compare to real crashes but given the circumstances...

- Lebanon, ME, USA

Aug 152012

Tahoe 8-cyl

I was coming out of my driveway and when I tried to slow down while making a left turn my brakes failed. I travel slowly to the end of my road made a right turn and continued until I was able to make a U turn and get back home. Once I reached home again using a combination of emergency brakes and eventually placing the transmission in park (once stopped) I was able to stop. I had the truck towed to my mechanic. The mechanic observed that the brake lines were rusted and had failed. All brake lines were replaced to restore my truck to service. Incidentally I have a friend that had also bought a Chevy Tahoe in 2002. The week before my brake line failed his brake line failed - also rusted out.

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Sep 182012

Tahoe 8-cyl

Brake pedal went to the floor when attempting to slow down. No warning at all. Had just applied the brakes a few minutes earlier with no problem. I was able to just get the truck home the few miles from the highway. I checked the truck over thinking the brake master cylinder had failed but discovered that the brake line running along the frame to the rear of the truck had rusted, was ruptured, and leaking brake fluid. The truck is well maintained. I was lucky that there was no other vehicles near me when it happened.

- Stevensville, MD, USA

Aug 062012

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that while traveling 10 mph, the anti-lock braking system falsely engaged, causing a decrease in braking power. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's home. The contact stated that the previous owner of the vehicle had repairs performed under NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic:antilock) but the problem persisted. The manufacturer had not been contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 150,000 and the current mileage was 153,000.

- Monson, MA, USA

Sep 072012

Tahoe 8-cyl

When stopping for a traffic light, brake pedal pushed to the floor. Vehicle stopped but noticed brake fluid under car and determined that brake line ruptured due to being rusted.

- New Hope , PA, USA

Aug 302012

Tahoe 8-cyl

Catastrophic brake failure while going downhill to an intersection with a stop sign. In mid-afternoon, while approaching a stop sign while heading downhill and attempting to stop, the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. Pumping the brake pedal did not help. There was no warning of the failure and no warning light. I tried to apply the parking brake but it did not slow down the vehicle. Fortunately, no vehicle was stopped at the stop sign and there was no traffic on the cross road I was entering. I managed to shift into neutral and slow down enough to roll through the intersection and onto the right berm of the cross road where I waited for a tow truck. My mechanic said that there was brake fluid in the system, but that the brake lines were corroded and had failed, and had to be replaced. I'm very lucky to be alive. $1,201.81 later, I'm back on the road.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Aug 022012

Tahoe 8-cyl

Traveling at 35 mph I went to stop for a traffic light. My brakes failed without warning, the pedal went to the floor. I continued through the intersection and drifted to a stop. The line burst at the frame rail on the driver's side. A close inspection shows that all of the brake lines are in need of replacement. The rust on the lines, as well as the frame, are unreal. I have never my vehicle looks like it has been sitting in a river. I have worked on and restored cars for the last 25 years, but I have never seen a vehicle this new rust so fast. The body looks great. The only blessing was the line blew out the evening before I took my family on a 300 mile trip to the beach. I could see us all dead on interstate 95 because of a brake failure.

- Everett, PA, USA

Jul 242012

Tahoe 8-cyl

My daughter was driving my 2002 Tahoe on major highway at rush hour, brake light came on and when she stepped on the brake the second or third time it went right to the floor with 90% of braking ability gone. Was able to avoid collision by pulling to side of highway and slowly stopping. Brake failure caused by rusted out rear brake line and had to have all four lines replaced due to rust.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Jul 142012

Tahoe 8-cyl

The vehicle had five passengers and was loaded for a week at the beach. A brake line ruptured and the peddle went right to the floor. Zero prior warning, no spongy peddle, no warning light, just catastrophic brake failure. We were very fortunate to have avoided a real tragedy.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Jul 092012

Tahoe

The first complaint number 10465492; addresses the fact that my brake lines rusted out and the fluid leaked out leaving me with little brake power.. to add insult to injury after they replaced my brake lines I was told that they could not bleed them so I needed a new manifold. It cost $350 which brings the total from 813 to $1350. I'm so frustrated. Mechanics said that the current recall would not have solved the problem but I should call GM and see if they would reimburse some of the cost since the problem is prevalent in many 2002 Tahoe.

- Ansonia, CT, USA

Jul 092012

Tahoe

I had a brake failure on my 2002 Tahoe after driving at hwy speeds then coming off the exit to stop; the, service brakes light came on. I then attempted to brake and the pedal went all the way to the floor making it very difficult to brake.., could have been catastrophic, and or deadly; I drove home 2 miles away, very slowly; I had very little brake control.(two infants in the car at the time) two out of four brake lines completely rusted with a hole; brake fluid leaked out quickly at time of incident..like hundreds, and thousands of other complaints of same exact problem. The brakes themselves are fine.,. to replace all four of my brake lines, it cost me $858($813 w/coupon). Recall id # 05V379000 - service brakes, hydraulic:antilock may address the problem if you get to it done before the lines completely fail. Applying rust inhibitor to your brake lines may also help. This could have been completely avoided since many have complained. The mechanic did not mention a recall when fixing the brake lines.

- Ansonia, CT, USA

Jul 032012

Tahoe 8-cyl

The integrity of the brake lines gave causing the brake pedal to go all the way to the floor. This caused a severe negative impact on the trucks stopping ability. All front brake lines needed to be replaced including the calipers. Total $640.

- Eastport, NY, USA