2.2

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 242009

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the gauges on the instrument panel were not functional. At the time of the complaint, the fuel gauge and tachometer were not working at all. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who took a complaint but offered no further assistance. The current mileage was approximately 80,000. The failure mileage was approximately 77,000.

- Airville, PA, USA

May 082010

Tahoe

I purchased a new battery for my truck and now whenever I get to a stop sign or red light it goes dead. I don't understand. Everything was fine before I put in another battery. Also, while driving the speedometer needle was higher than the speed I was going and the fuel needle showed more than actually was in the truck.

- Laurel, MS, USA

Feb 182010

Tahoe 8-cyl

Our 2003 Tahoe has strange speedometer readings that are not correct. It caused us to travel faster than was safe on the road. When noticed we slowed down pulled over and waited for another car to follow.

- Belleview, FL, USA

Nov 012008

Tahoe 8-cyl

In Nov of 2008 we started having problems with the speedometer. Took it to our dealer and they replaced the ipc and it did not fix the problem, after we got the Tahoe back we started having problems with the cruise control as well. The speedometer becomes jerky and if we use the cruise the Tahoe speeds up and we have to turn cruise off to stop it from speeding out of control. Also when the speedometer becomes jerky the service brake system alarm goes off after it makes it hard to stop. (we have almost rear ended someone several times.)recently 12-2009 our service engine light is on. We have taken the Tahoe to our dealer and replaced several parts and nothing seems to make these problems go away. Please help as we have three kids and one on the way. The parts we have replaced are as follows: The front brake sensor and hub, the instrument panel cluster, ebc electronic brake control module and the fuel filter. Which is everything recommended by our dealer. I just want it fixed!!!!

- Huntington, IN, USA

Oct 222009

Tahoe

I bought a 2003 Tahoe with 69,000 miles on it and about 20,000 miles later the speedometer stops working it is hard to drive this way. I found out that there was an issue with this on other G.M vehicles and was covered if the miles were under 70,000 miles. Now I am struck with the repair costs. If there was some sort of recall then my truck should have been fixed before I bought it, but nothing was said about it.

- Hull, IA, USA

Sep 012009

Tahoe

Instrument panel failing on 2003 Chevy Tahoe. Problem began around 119,000. Speedometer gives inaccurate readings or doesn't work at all. Instrument panel lights are beginning to malfunction as well.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Sep 092009

Tahoe

My husband and I were traveling to houston this past weekend, when we looked down at the speedometer to see that we were traveling at a rate of 120 mph. Since flow of traffic was passing us quite easily, we were assured that we were not, in fact, traveling 120 mph. When we parked the car, we were still traveling at 120 mph. GM is aware of this issue with their product, but has not done a full scale recall. Instead, they have a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty extension. The issue with that is that we purchased this car with more than 70K miles on it. The dealership knowingly sold us a vehicle that had major issues with the speedometer.

- Denton, TX, USA

Aug 162009

Tahoe

Speedometer on 03 Tahoe stuck on 90mph. Have heard tons of complaints on this and still no recall issued. What to do"?????"

- Escondido, CA, USA

Jan 262009

Tahoe

The speedometer of my Chevy Tahoe 2003 does not register correct speed.

- Charlestown , IN, USA

May 262009

Tahoe

I purchased a 03 Chevy Tahoe that currently only has 45,000 miles. Recently, my speedometer intermittently stops working. I notice it happened once on a trip out of state, now it is happening more frequently. I am also experiencing my radio changing stations on its own at the start up of my vehicle. I also have the left thermostat adjuster lighting that went out about the same time my speedometer started acting up.

- Madera, CA, USA

Dec 252008

Tahoe

2003 Tahoe speedometer no longer works properly. I will be at a complete stop and speedometer reads 100mph. This is an electrical problem that Chevy is aware of but refuses to fix.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 012008

Tahoe

September 2008 my speedometer quit working. Its stuck on 100mph. Had the GM dealer do a diagnostics and they told me the cluster needed to be replaced. Two weeks later I received a letter stating that if my mileage was under 70,000 GM would replace it for no cost to me. My 2003 Tahoe has over 70,000 and less than a week ago the oil gauge quit working. The GM dealer will not take care of this problem for me unless I pay the $500 for the parts and labor. I believe this is turning into a safety issue and the GM dealer said that eventually the other gauges will go if I don't get this fixed.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Mar 032009

Tahoe

Speedometer needle no longer working. Driving one day and needle started to show speed faster than what I was going. Needle is now just pointing straight down.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 132009

Tahoe

Recently purchased (3 days ago) a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe and both my wife and I noticed erratic behavior from speedometer. After much research and another family member with the same problem on a 2004 Tahoe, we realized that this was a serious safety issue that an extreme amount of other people were having. The speedometer "sticks" at different points while accelerating or decelerating, I wish to get this issue resolved as soon as possible via recall. GM is well aware of this problem and it should issue a full recall on the instrument cluster to fix the problem. A simple "special situation" warranty is not good enough. GM must issue a recall on this very widely experienced problem. They also said that although my mileage was only 2000 miles over the "70,000" mile mark, they wouldn't fix it. This is a serious safety issue! GM...do the right thing! reference blogs and GM class action lawsuit at: townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F11F710/159 and also at www.lrolaw.com/pdf/gmspeed.pdf.

- Mount Holly, NJ, USA

Mar 102009

Tahoe

Speedometer in 2003 Tahoe failing to give accurate speed. Speed does not register at all sometimes. Needle to speedometer is "jerky" when it does work. Have not had repaired yet because I was searching out possible solutions when I discovered that numerous Tahoe owners are having the same problem. If the manufacturer is admitting there is a problem them why should "we" have to pay for it. Especially after discovering the cost ( from $500-$575). Please help!

- Westminster, SC, USA

Mar 092009

Tahoe

Speedometer went out registered going 100mph when only going approx 40. Took to dealer and was charged $515.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 152008

Tahoe

Speedometer intermittently reads 60/100 while parked, or reads 10-20 while going down the freeway.

- Winnemucca, NV, USA

Dec 112005

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving approximately 55 mph on normal road conditions, the speedometer intermittently displayed inaccurate readings. The failure would occur without warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but was not repaired. Through research, the contact discovered a warranty extension coverage and notified the manufacturer. The vehicle was excluded from the warranty because the odometer exceeded the mileage limitation of 70,000. The failure mileage was 26,000 and current mileage was 86,000.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Jan 122009

Tahoe

The speedometer on my 03 Chevy Tahoe randomly goes up to 10 mph and stays there. The only way to bring it back down is to shut off and restart the vehicle several times. It drops 5 mph each time you restart it.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

May 202006

Tahoe

We have problems with the running lights, dash gauges not working properly. Now the engines is starting to idle roughly and make noises. We got a notice letting us know that there was a recall on a part that runs all of the dash gauges. Some kind of computer thing. I went into the dealership and they told me my car had too many miles to honor the recall and I would have to pay for it!. lets see, we wait long enough for miles to get past 100,000 miles and then they don't have to fix all the vehicles. I can see another Tahoe coming down the road and one of the running lights is always out. We have a 2003 Tahoe. The dash coating started pealing and they wouldn't cover it being replaced. I had less than 60,000 miles at that time. They said that the extended warranty didn't cover this. The Tahoe is shifting real rough at times and will speed up on it's own at times. This shifting happens at least once a day. The gauges don't work at all. (fuel, oil pressure, and sometimes the RPM won't work at all).

- Clifton, TX, USA