2003 Chevrolet Tahoe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 142015

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. While approaching a stop, the vehicle began to vibrate severely and the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle position sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was also taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness failed and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 166,000.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jan 122013

Tahoe 8-cyl

I own a 2003 Chevy Tahoe! my speedometer just stop working one day when driving. It will stick on a 120 or 35 or sometimes it wont move at all. I do have a picture of being parked and Tahoe shut off and its showing 120. Something needs to be done..people can't afford tickets for going over and under snd I also have the tow pkg and own a pop up and really scared to travel with it. Cant afford the 600 they it will cost..cant get into a non Chevy. This is my first Chevy I bought and think it will be my last..GM step up and get this recalled.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Nov 182013

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was diagnosed by the contact and it was found that the throttle position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Apr 152012

My acceleration pedal engaged and ran thru center block fence. No airbag on either side....thanks a lot..... driver.

- Midland, TX, USA

May 082010

I purchased a new battery for my truck and now whenever I get to a stop sign or red light it goes dead. I don't understand. Everything was fine before I put in another battery. Also, while driving the speedometer needle was higher than the speed I was going and the fuel needle showed more than actually was in the truck.

- Laurel, MS, USA

Mar 132009

Recently purchased (3 days ago) a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe and both my wife and I noticed erratic behavior from speedometer. After much research and another family member with the same problem on a 2004 Tahoe, we realized that this was a serious safety issue that an extreme amount of other people were having. The speedometer "sticks" at different points while accelerating or decelerating, I wish to get this issue resolved as soon as possible via recall. GM is well aware of this problem and it should issue a full recall on the instrument cluster to fix the problem. A simple "special situation" warranty is not good enough. GM must issue a recall on this very widely experienced problem. They also said that although my mileage was only 2000 miles over the "70,000" mile mark, they wouldn't fix it. This is a serious safety issue! the right thing! reference blogs and GM class action lawsuit at: and also at

- Mount Holly, NJ, USA

Mar 102008

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The speedometer have a habit of not working. I have heard of many others having this same problem.

- Anderson, SC, USA

May 172007

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer says I'm going 110 mph and I've got the engine off. I cannot safety drive my vehicle not know how fast I'm driving. This must be recalled by GM!

- Newnan, GA, USA

Jan 152007

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer quit working shows no speed or wrong speed all of the time.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Apr 112006

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer failed with less than 30,000 miles on the vehicle. This problem was widespread on Tahoe, Suburban, and pickups. A recall should be ordered and repairs should be paid for by General Motors.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Tahoe 8-cyl

2003 chevyrolettaho. Speedometer not working correctly. At times the speedometer will register speeds that are between 20-70 mph in excess of actual speed, and at others will register speeds that are 10-40mph below actual speed. Other times the speedometer appeared to read correctly. Operation is jerky at all positions. The actual speed was unkown since this instrument cannot be trusted. This has been happening off and on every couple of days for 5 months.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

May 142007

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer seems to be working fine, then gradually goes to 0. when car is restarted, works fine again for short period of time. This is a safety hazard.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 012006

The Chevrolet Tahoe speedometer has been broken and I could not get any assistance from Chevrolet customer service. They will not acknowledge any problems with the speedometer.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer erratic, typically reads 20 mph over actual speed. Other times, does not function at all.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Jan 192007

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

My wife and I purchased a new 2003 Chevy Tahoe on March 17, 2003 from a Chevrolet dealer in novato, California. Approximately 10 months ago the speedometer began registering 60 mph while the car was not moving. This eventually changed to 120 mph despite the fact that the car was not moving and the engine was turned off. The speedometer never registered anything below 120 mph thereafter. We finally had to get it repaired as we never had any idea at what speed the automobile was actually traveling. We took it to the same dealership where the car was purchased to have it repaired. We were advised that the instrument cluster panel had to be replaced as there was no other way to fix the problem. This cost $359.88. When I asked to see the broken speedometer I was told it was not available as it had to be exchanged for the replacement. This car had only 53,600 miles on it when the speedometer was replaced. I have the invoice and would be willing to provide a copy at your request. I have never seen a speedometer stick in this manner in 35 years of driving. This is a dangerous condition as drivers of vehicles with this problem have no idea what their true rate of speed is.

- Novato, CA, USA

Apr 042007

The speedometer on mu Tahoe will say that I doing 60 and the car is in park. Overtime the problem corrects itself and then it happens again. It is something that I feel is not anyhting that I have done to the vehicle. It happens approximately every 2 months. The incident date is the most recent date that it has happened.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Mar 202007

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer is acting up. It rests on 40 mph, and shows that I am reaching 110 mph.when I am only going 60 mph, and vehicle only has 45,000 miles, I consider this a major safety issue on a 2003 vehicle.

- Carrollton, VA, USA

Oct 012006

Tahoe 6-cyl

- the contact called regarding the 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the speedometer would work for approximately 30 minutes into the trip, and after that it would show less mph than what he was traveling, eventually going down to zero. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by a repair shop. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000, the current mileage was 58000. The failure occurred 10 times.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Nov 232006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Driving on interstate when speedometer began to act erratically. Slowly but surely speedometer went from cruising speed up through the 120 mark on the vehicle and remained fully pegged in the black portion of the gauge. All driving now requires drivers judgment on speed since speedometer is inoperative. Speedometer can settle as low at 40 mph, but quickly sky rockets again once driving commences. No corrective actions could fix the speedometer malfunction. Not knowing the speed of a vehicle presents an inherently dangerous situation and screams negligence and liability. Force Chevy to fix this before someone dies and they learn the hard way.

- Milton, FL, USA

Jul 012006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

2003 Tahoe, speedometer faulty, sometimes doesn't register at all sometimes too low, and sometimes to high. Steering box going bad nothing GM will do.

- Charlotte, NC, USA