2003 Chevrolet Tahoe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Apr 142016

Tahoe

The contact owned a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a guard rail. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The front seat passenger sustained 12 broken ribs and 2 collapsed lungs that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent towing facility. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jan 122015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

One day this winter I went out in the garage and started my Tahoe. Out of the blue my service air bag light came on. Today I took my care to get it checked out and the error codes (B0051 & B0053) indicated that the airbags had been deployed. The service manager agreed that there was no evidence of a collision or that the air bags had been deployed, and that the air bags are not working. Due to the age of the vehicle they indicated that there was nothing they go do to cover the work needed to repair the problem and get the airbags working again. The estimate is for $1,200. They also indicated that there were not any recalls or service bulletins on this type of problem.I contacted GM via chat, and they said there were not recalls or service bulletins for this issue, and they could not due anything to assist with the repair. I am the original owner and always kept the vehicle in good working order using the original dealer, and have not had any accidents with the vehicle. I can afford to get the repair done, my concern is how many other people that can't might be impacted by this and will drive the vehicles without the air bags.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Apr 152012

Tahoe

My acceleration pedal engaged and ran thru center block fence. No airbag on either side....thanks a lot..... driver.

- Midland, TX, USA

Nov 132012

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the driver attempted to avoid crashing into a deer and lost control of the vehicle. As a result, the vehicle was flipped several times. The air bags failed to deploy and the driver was killed. The contact did not confirm if the driver was secured by the seat vehicle safety belt. The vehicle was destroyed and had not been inspected for the air bag failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 182,000.

- Bartow, GA, USA

Sep 102008

Tahoe

All of the sudden the air bag indicator light came on and a message appeared saying "service air bag". we took it to a mechanic and he hooked it up to the computer system and it said that whole air bag system had failed (several sensors had failed). We called Chevy to see if it might be able to be fixed with a warranty, but they said the car is out of warranty. (we knew this, but figured there should be an extended warranty on airbags.) they told us to take it to a Chevy dealership. We called the local dealership and they told us it would cost $100 for the diagnostic test. However, we already did this with our other mechanic. Chevy basically wouldn't help us unless we paid for the diagnostic which is ridiculous since we already did that. The guy at the dealership told us that we could drive around, no problem, but that the air bags wouldn't deploy. We were told by our mechanic that it would be very expensive to fix this. We think it is unfair that we have to pay to get this fixed, when there has never been any accidents with this car. The airbags have never deployed, and all the sudden the system won't work if we need it and get in an accident. We're asking for help to get Chevy to fix this problem because they should. This could be a potential lawsuit if there were an accident. Please help us to get Chevy to take responsibility for an error that happened during the building of the car.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 102008

Tahoe 8-cyl

2003 Tahoe and on many occasions the service air bag sensor has come on. I have been told that when this light is on the air bag will not deploy. This seems very dangerous. Also the dealer can't get a code on what is wrong with it unless the light is on. It doesn't stay on a long time but is very frequent in coming on. Looks like this should be a safety issue and should have a recall on it.

- Newton, AL, USA

Jan 012005

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased new and still own a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. For the last year and a half the airbag light comes on from time to time. I have had the truck at the dealer numerous times and they tell me they cannot fix the problem. What I have been told is that this light means that the airbag will not deploy if the vehicle gets into an accident. I am very frustrated that this safety issue cannot be corrected.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Aug 262004

Tahoe 8-cyl

The steering shaft and front suspension was replaced. The airbags did not deploy when the vehicle rolled over. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice for a popping noise and loose steering. The steering shaft was removed and lubed and the front lower crossmember was tightened. The consumer's son was driving the vehicle when he lost control. The vehicle rolled over twice, end over end the side over side one and a half times. The consumer requested to be notified of how many of these steering, braking and or other problems incurred with this make/model.

- Granger, TX, USA

Nov 112004

Tahoe

The steering made popping noises and the steering felt loose. The dealer replaced the steering shaft and front suspension. The vehicle rolled over twice and the air bags did not deploy.

- Granger, TX, USA

Aug 102004

Tahoe 8-cyl

Air bag ilight illuminated intermittently. Vehicle was taken to dealer for the fifth time. Dealer had not resolved the problem.

- Plano, TX, USA