2. replace the actuator behind dash (4 reports)
  3. replace mode actuator (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Aug 152005

Tahoe LT

I'm really disappointed that Chevrolet has not taken ownership of this issue and find a way to fix this common problem with the AC being on and blowing cool from the front vents and blowing "not warm"... but HOT air from the back vents! I'm sure something can be done! Please don't disappoint us Chevy lovers any longer. #FixItPlease #TexasIsHot #ForTheLoveOfChevy

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 012012

Tahoe LS V8

Can't find a recall but this seems to be a fairly common problem.

- , Villa Rica, GA, USA

Jul 012013

It is so annoying on a hot day to turn the air on and have it blow hot air in your face and cool air on the passenger side. I have to turn the car off and back on again and sometimes that doesn't work. Driving home in 110 degrees with no air is frustrating. Sometimes it happens while I'm driving and no way for me to stop & turn it off & on again. From what it looks like in the posts, a specific fix has not been determined.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Tahoe V8

After much research this seems to be a very common problem. This is a fairly expensive repair if you are not a mechanic or mechanically inclined. I know 3 people personally that have this exact problem. When is Chevrolet going to issue a recall or help consumers pay for this repair?

- , San Marcos, TX, USA

May 012009

It is crazy when I put it on A/C it works most times but then it will pick the hottest day of the year to run the heat instead of A/C. I can actually stop the tahoe cut it off move control to hot then back to cold cut off fan make sure it is on A/c and reset it, it is a pain in rush hour traffic

- , Jasper, GA, USA

Jul 082008

Tahoe LS 5.3L

told dealer while it was covered under warranty could find anything wrong now warranty gone problem found

- , Evergreen, AL, USA

Jun 012009

Tahoe LS V8

I took my 2004 Tahoe to the dealer to have the Intermediate Shaft replaced and mentioned that the air flow through the lower vent when the heat was on was not blowing as hard as I thought it should. (never any Ac/Heat problems prior) Asked them to take a look to see if something was caught in the vent. When I picked the vehicle up they told me they reset the actuator to see if that would help the problem. Charged me $80.

Since the day they reset the actuator, I have had a problem with the heater coming on while running the AC. Took it back in this morning and now they say that I need 4 new actuators at a cost of $400 each!!!!!! INSANE!!!!!!!

- , Perry, FL, Pacific Islands (US)

Nov 142008

Tahoe LS 4.8L

During normal driving with a/c on, the air coming out of the vents on driver's side changes from cool air to warm as if you have turned on the heat. The air coming out of the passengers vents are still putting out cold air. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot the problem. I don't yet know if it is the the a/c/heater control head or an actuator in dash area.

Update from Oct 24, 2011: The problem is repaired by replacing the actuator (mode actuator) located on driver's side just to the right of the gas pedal.

- , Lubbock, TX, USA

Sep 012008

Tahoe LS V6

When one thing goes wrong it ALL seems to fall apart

- , Boaz, AL, USA

Jul 012008

I will be driving down the road with the air conditioner on and all of the sudden it will blow hot air in my face. The passenger side will be blowing cool. I have to turn the air off and drive around in the heat. Have not checked on repair cost yet was looking to see if there is a recall on them first.

- , Columbus, MS, USA

Jan 292007

Tahoe LS 4.8L V8

When driving with the AC on, the driver front side will cut on to heat, which sucks in the summer time. I have to pull over, turn off the car and restart it, so it will work again. It does this randomly. Took it to a dealer to identify the problem, which was the heater actuator and will cost $400 +.

- , Radcliff, KY, USA