2.7

hardy worth mentioning

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jun 052013

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving down the road all of a sudden the speedometer registered 120 mph, I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped the vehicle, the speedometer was still registering 50 mph. Since that time the speedometer registers various speeds, from 140 to 0 I am not sure what speed I am actually going, I can be parked with the speedometer on 140 or driving with the speedometer on 0.

- Spring Grove, VA, USA

Oct 012012

Tahoe

Last October, while driving my 2004 Chevy Tahoe lt, the tachometer on the instrument cluster failed after an acceleration event and never functioned again. Since it was the tachometer element, it did not raise any significant concern, only disappointment. However, on 3/15/2013, the analog oil pressure gauge needle went all the way to the right ( indicating failure, I assume) and then on 3/30/2013, the speedometer began to function on an intermittent basis and continues to do so. After reading some of the 341 complaints on line, I cannot believe GM gets a pass on a critical safety/legal component like the cluster group and no recall has been issued. In general, what authority does the NHTSA have in coercing auto manufacturers to issue recalls in the U.S.?

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Jul 272011

Tahoe 8-cyl

Instrumentation problem. Speedometer stepper motor does not reset to zero. This results in the inaccurate reporting of vehicle speed. This is a safety hazard. This issue is widely reported throughout the internet. We lent a ton of money to GM and they need to be called to the carpet to remedy these issues promptly.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 212012

Tahoe 8-cyl

The RPM and speed gauges on my instrument panel are not working.

- Quitman, TX, USA

Nov 032010

Tahoe

2004 Chevy Tahoe speedometer sticks at various speed levels and intermittently will not return to zero when the vehicle is not in motion. Speedometer can stick at excessive speeds indicated on the cluster, this had intermittently effected the cruise control operation. This was a known issue by GM, no recall was provided. My vehicle is over 80,000 (82,500) miles. Issue started with my vehicle at about 78K, but was not brought in by me to GM because there was not an announced recall. GM decided to replace the clusters for customers who had the defect occur between 70 and 80K, with a charge for the labor, not the part. Given the fact this is a safety issue (speed indication and intermittent cruise control, GM should provide full replacement, parts and labor.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Dec 052010

Tahoe 8-cyl

2004 Tahoe: Speedometer reads crazy during long trip. Have read about this issue and now it has happened to my Tahoe. It's now a permanent issue and I rely on my gps device to monitor my speed. I'm waiting for the other cluster instruments to fail and then I will have to replace the parts on all. It's pathetic that GM will not recall this as a serious safety issue. It's not like you can drive without this gauge - will GM pay my tickets?

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 082010

Tahoe

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe with 68,863 miles. The speedometer starting reading 20 miles an hour yesterday when parked. When driving the speedometer is erratic and reads approximately 20-30 miles an hour faster than I believe I am traveling. I have researched and found many reports of this problem. This is a severe safety issue and this defect is a problem the manufacturer should repair at no charge. Recall this vehicle.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Aug 152010

Tahoe

2004 Chevy Tahoe (108K miles) speedometer was stuck at 70 mph, then slowly decreased down to zero. Over the next 3 weeks it became more sporadic and now it only reads "0" all the time. Mechanic wanted to charge me $350 to replace the entire instrument cluster. This is a known defect and Chevy should take responsibility for it.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Tahoe

My 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe has a problem with the speedometer not giving accurate readings. It will jump from 0 to 120 mph and stick somewhere in between or give a false mph reading or just go to zero and register nothing. The problem seems prevalent with all Tahoe. GM needs to have a recall and fix this dangerous situation instead of charging everybody $500-$900 when they know they have a serious defect. This problem has been ongoing now for the last 2 years.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Jan 012010

Tahoe

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. My instrument panel is messed up. My speedometer does not work, it flutters or pegs out all the way. Now my oil gauge is bottom out. In researching the internet, I see that this is a common problem and that Chevy will only fix it if you have less than 70,000 miles. I have over 100,000 miles on my car and I consider it a safety hazard. 98% of the time I do not know how fast I am really going. I heard that a recall will not be issued because it is not a "safety hazard". well I disagree, because people are not always aware of their fuel level, how fast/slow they are really driving.

- Loomis, CA, USA

May 142009

Tahoe 8-cyl

My speedometer failed 5/14/2009 and the gas needle failed shortly afterward. They are completely no reliable.

- Rex, GA, USA

Jun 012009

Tahoe

1. speedometer stopped working on a 2004 Tahoe. 2. occurs - permanently broken. 3. action to correct failure is nothing at this point. Speedometer failure occurred at approximately 42K miles.

- Midland, MI, USA

Nov 022009

Tahoe

2004 chevorlet Tahoe speedometer began to show that the speed was to slow than I was going. Now its showing I am going faster than I am. Tonight my speedometer is stuck on 0 mph.

- Vass, NC, USA

Mar 122009

Tahoe

2004 Chevy Tahoe electrical system: Instrument panel.

- Prairie Du Sac, WI, USA

Oct 122008

Tahoe

Electrical system: Instrumental panel.

- Gilbertown, AL, USA

Aug 012008

Tahoe

In Aug 2008 my speedometer started acting improperly. It would work off and on. Then eventually it stopped working all together. I was ok driving on highway because the tachometer was still working. Just recently the tac stopped also. This has to be a safety issue and should be recalled. I am just worried that I pay $600 to get it fixed and it happens again.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Aug 012008

Tahoe

Speedometer cluster was not reading correctly, then eventually it just stopped working all together. Pulled over multiple times due to not knowing the speed I am traveling.

- Lavergne, TN, USA

Jul 032008

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving 10 mph, the speedometer displayed 60 mph. The failure occurred intermittently. The dealer stated that because there was a service bulletin regarding the failure and the mileage on the vehicle exceeded 80,000, no compensation would be provided. The manufacturer agreed with the dealer. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 77,000 and current mileage was 98,000.

- Roseville , CA, USA

Apr 112009

Tahoe

Looked down at the speedometer and it read 90 mph when I was only going about 55 mph. Then when stopped it doesn't go to zero it stays at around 25-35 mph, standing still.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Tahoe

The speedometer in my 2004 Tahoe has been reading erratic speeds. This started at about 80,000 miles, called GM they said they would replace if under 70,000 miles. Need help!

- Loganville, GA, USA