2004 Chevrolet Tahoe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 152014

Tahoe

Came out of the my driveway and noticed I had to put my foot to the floor to stop the vehicle. I left a trail of brake fluid down the street. Was told by independent mechanic that the brake lines had rusted and completely deteriorated. This is an incredibly dangerous safety issue. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had been driving on the highway at 65 mph and had to stop with my family in the car. I expect to pay some $600 to replace the brake line which should certainly last for the life of the vehicle. This is a major safety issue and should warrant a recall/reimbursement for owners. I have to have this fixed, and can't wait for a recall -- the vehicle cannot be driven in anything approaching a safe manner.

- Burke, VA, USA

Jul 232014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

It sat on the side of the driveway for about three months, then when I backed it out of the driveway, I lost all of my brakes. I ran into a tree with the rear bumper. There was just a small dent in the rear quarter panel. I had to have three brake lines replaced.

- Hales Corners, WI, USA

Sep 152014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Returning home from trip. As I pulled into driveway brakes failed. Took it to shop and was told all brake lines were badly coroded and needed to be replaced.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 022014

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving approximately 30 mph, the brakes failed to respond when the brake pedal was depressed. The brake service indicator illuminated. The contact discovered that the rear driver side brake line was corroded and leaking brake fluid. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Aug 152014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Rusted brake lines failed. Lost brakes at highway speed.

- Succasunna, NJ, USA

Aug 112014

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that during an unrelated repair, it was advised that the brake line was entirely rusted and that the brake pad went to the floor. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 185,000.

- Annapolis , MD, USA

Jul 142014

Tahoe

I was launching my boat on a boat ramp to a lake.when backing up to the water I pressed my brakes and the brake pedal went to the floor. I was able to put the truck in the forward gear to get out of the water. The break line was leaking. I looked under the vehicle and all the lines where rusted out. I was told that the brake line had failed because it was rusted out. This is extremely dangerous. There should be some type of warning to other Tahoe owners and a recall.

- Box Elder, SD, USA

Jul 072014

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that while traveling at an unknown speed, the brakes failed and went to the floorboard abnormally. The contact had to pump the brake pedal to get the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 04V045000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Palm Harbor , FL, USA

Apr 122014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Got into parked truck and the brake pedal went to the floor. Can not even stop truck at idle speed. Brake line leak between proportioning valve and ABS module near bend above frame. Can't even take it in for repair without towing it. Rear brake lines in bad shape, but not leaking yet.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 282014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Brake line rupture causing complete brake failure. I was switching the cars around in my single wide drive way when the brakes failed on my vehicle. Pulling the vehicle back into the driveway from being stopped on the road so I barely accelerated and fortunately had very little speed when the brakes failed, the pedal going all the way to the floor, while failing to slow/stop the vehicle. I was able to stop by putting the transmission in park, no harm done though not a gentle stop. Identifying the problem was not difficult as the brake line hissed loudly where it ruptured when pressure was applied to the brake pedal. A great deal of corrosion was present on all of the lines as well as the fuel lines.

- Chittenango, NY, USA

Nov 132013

Tahoe 8-cyl

Approx. 6 months ago I was driving when a vehicle entered the intersection in front of me. I stepped on the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. Luckily there was no crash but my vehicle just barely came to a stop. Towed the vehicle to a dealership and found all the brake lines were rusted out and needed to be replaced. On 3/28/14 I began noticing strong gas fumes coming from my vehicle. I again took it it in and found the fuel pump assembly, all the fuel hoses, and the straps and bolts that hold the fuel tank were rusted out. I read that NHTSA was doing a study of this issue. I understand my vehicle is 10 years old and I live in the northeast but I observed a lot of rust under my vehicle. I am a police officer and a crash reconstructionist and these rust issues could cause serious issues with vehicles resulting in crashes. I feel this issue needs to be investigated because it effects crucial systems like the brakes and fuel systems. Please feel free to contact me for further information.

- Bordentown , NJ, USA

Apr 012014

Tahoe

Lost brakes pedal went to floor. Brake lines rusted out. Had vehicle towed to dealership for repair. Stainless steel brake lines and fuel lines should never rust !!! General Motors is liable for this problem and should make repair immediately.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 212014

Tahoe

I was leaving work and I was coming to a junction, applied my brakes and nothing happened, I was slowly going into the middle of the road and a car was coming towards me, I had to accelerate to get in front of him, to avoid him hitting me. I got to the main junction which is on a hill and I pressed very hard on the brakes and it finally stopped. I drove 2 miles an hour for about 100 ft and turned into a gas station. I called a tow truck and while waiting fluid was leaking from the front of the car. The tow truck man got under the car and said all my brake lines were rusted and leaking. I was lucky there was not a lot of traffic on the road. Why are the brake lines rusted. Is there a recall on these brake lines.

- Smithsville, TN, USA

Feb 172014

Tahoe 8-cyl

My mechanic informed me today that my brake lines were very corroded and in danger of a catastrophic failure.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Dec 042013

Tahoe 8-cyl

A few weeks ago I was traveling down hwy 60 in southwest Missouri and the "reduced engine power" light came on. The vehicle immediately slowed to about 4-5 miles per hour and I was unable to accelerate. I crawled to the next exit where I barely made it up the incline and into a gas station. We checked the gas, oil, battery, etc. I turned off the vehicle and when I started it up again, it seemed fine. I continued home. The next day I took it to a mechanic who said that it all checked out perfectly and there was nothing wrong. This has happened 12-15 times in the last month and every time I take it to the mechanic, he tells me that the computer is not "throwing codes" and there is nothing wrong. This is not a figment of my imagination. This keeps happening. The most recent "episode" was last night. We took the boat down to the river to go gigging at night. When I went to pull the trailer up the boat ramp and park the vehicle, the "reduced engine power" light again came on and I could not pull up the hill. Every time I attempted it, the light came on and I actually went backwards towards the river!! my children were in the vehicle and I was scared we would be trapped it something further malfunctioned and we rolled back into the deep cold water!!! from what I have now researched GM is aware of this problem and I do not understand why a problem this potentially deadly has not been dealt with! I am not the first owner of this vehicle and have never had a problem like this. I am a single mother of three beautiful boys and I am scared to drive my car because of this. I cannot put them in a potentially deadly situation. So our only vehicle sits and waits in our driveway leaving me stranded a lot until GM can come up with a solution on their dime. This isn't fair that a problem is know and no one at GM will fix it. Please help fix this before someone dies!

- Mountain Grove, MO, USA

Jan 062014

• 1,000,000 miles
Tried to stop, brake pedal went to floor. Brake lines at the frame under driver's side rusted through. Truck had to be towed, and all brake lines replaced.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Oct 222013

Tahoe 8-cyl

I bought a 2004 Chevy Tahoe August 2013- I maybe drove it twice a week for maybe 3 weeks.do to the screw up with the dealership and insurance company I was canceled in September up until October 22 the truck sat in my drive way. Finally was able to drive it. Drove it one day, I was driving back after filling my tank. I'm coming up to a red light with a motorcycle in front of me. I began applying the brakes and I'm approaching the motorcycle in front of me. When I try to apply the brakes, I'm pushing them all the way to the floor and I'm not stopping. I know at this point I don't have brakes. I swerve to avoid rear ending the motorcycle. I almost hit on coming cars. Then I'm able to apply what was left of the brakes to get the car to stop. When I put the Tahoe it to park that's when the brake light comes on. I get out and I see nothing but brake fluid pouring out of the front driver side. I look underneath the truck(SUV) and the entire brake lines where rotted and the entire underneath the truck was rusted.

- Browns Mills , NJ, USA

Aug 252013

Tahoe 8-cyl

ABS light came on. While braking to enter an on-ramp, steering wheel jerked and passenger side front wheel almost broke off.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Mar 252013

Tahoe 8-cyl

2004 Chevy Tahoe, Z71. All brake and fuel lines are severely corroded. Appear to be seeping fluid.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jun 152011

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph and depressing the brakes, the brakes would not respond. The contact continued to depress the brake pedal until the brakes became responsive. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. Where the technician advised that the brake hydro boost exhibited a leak and would require replacement. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 04V045000 (service brakes, hydraulic) but was advised by the manufacturer that the failure and stated the VIN was not included. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 114,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA