2004 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 012011

Tahoe

I ad no idea that this was an on going issue with the 2004 Tahoe until a co-worker mentioned he had the same problem and then when I had a smog check done this year. I noticed about a little over a year ago that my gauges were not working. Didn't really look into as, I have regular oil changes and check my levels regularly too. But recently my speedometer doesn't read the speed correctly. It's now a permanent issue and I will have to replace the cluster panel completely it's a serious safety issue and I cannot believe GM will not recall for this item! how many others out there have the same problem and just like me, did not know it was an issue!

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Sep 182012

Tahoe

The speedometer, oil gauge and RPM gage on the cluster panel quit working. I think this should be a recall for the Chevrolet dealership. This is a default that should be fixed free of charge to the owners. No one wants to purchase a vehicle and have to put in the shop for a manufacture problem.

- Mulberry, TN, USA

Sep 212012

Tahoe 8-cyl

On Sept 21, 2012 I was driving home for lunch and after driving for about 10 minutes I notice my radio shut off and on, the power door locks kept locking and unlocking. Also, the gauges on the dash where coming on and off and all the lights inside on the Tahoe where going on and off also. As soon as everything stopped my airbags deployed and hit my face and chest. I remember a cloud of white powder and realized I was still driving. I was able to avoid running into on coming traffic.

- Palmer, AK, USA

Jun 022008

Tahoe 8-cyl

Control panel cluster is failing first causing the gas gauge to not work at all and then the speedometer to malfunction.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Nov 052011

Tahoe

I was driving on the highway when I glanced at my gauges. The tachometer reading was below zero. Then suddenly my speedometer started slowly falling from 65 to 70 mph to just below zero as well. Still driving. About 20 minutes later. The speedometer started to slowly rise. Finally it stayed steady at about 35 mph. This created a problem. Because I wasn't going 35mph on the highway. During this time, I tried not to increase or decrease my speed. I went with the flow of traffic. Because, obviously, it was a safe rate of speed at that time. Because the tachometer wasn't working too. The approximate calculation of my rate of speed. Could not be ascertained. "speed" is a significant threat to public safety. Whether it be the regular streets throughout your town or the interstate highway. Another reason to consider this a public safety issue is. Someone maybe driving faster than the speed rating of their tires. Because of instrument panel malfunction. The risk of serious tire issues have now increased. This is a direct safety issue. Through some research of my own. I found that alot of the effected vehicles. Started having this issue after 70000 to 80000 miles. GM's attempt to rectify this safety hazard is lame at most. 7 yrs 70,000 miles. These numbers were picked so they could keep their costs at a minimum. We, the consumer, are being forced. To take it once again. From the big businesses that refuse to take responsibility. For the very dangerous issues of which they created! has anyone figured out how many SUV's have been or will be effected" how many of them are or will be on the road" also, once the instrument panel cluster gets replaced. The odometer & hour readings need to be reset. This opens the door for a new set of problems. Odometer fraud.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Mar 012006

Tahoe 8-cyl

I bought this vehicle brand new in 2005. After appox. 5 yrs, the instrument panel started slowly not working. At first it was the speedometer, then fuel gauge and now the entire instrument panel is useless. Not one gauge is working. I have researched and found the same issues with the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. I, for one, see this as a dangerous situation as well as completely against the law to be driving a vehicle without a speedometer. This is now the only vehicle that I have and I have to depend on this vehicle to drive my family around in. I don't have the means to have this issue fixed and due to the same issue with many of the same vehicles, I think Chevrolet should be held responsible before someone gets either stranded or hurt due to their negligence.

- Hazel Green, AL, USA

Aug 282011

Tahoe 8-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe "reduced engine power". occurs intermittently and only allows you to go about 25 mph. Very unsafe if on a highway. GM dealer replaced the faulty wire harness and plug that plugs into the throttle body. Also replaced throttle body itself.

- Galt, CA, USA

Nov 012010

Tahoe

When air conditioner is running, air coming from driver's side vents become extremely hot while passenger's side remains cool. I cannot determine any specific conditions that made this occur. It seems to be totally random. The hot air is not warm air or pretty hot air, it is extremely hot, hotter than a hair dryer produces at its hottest. I report this because it is obviously a safety hazard and, judging from complaints showing on internet blogs, it is fairly common. Apparently Chevrolet is admitting no responsibility for this failure, even denying that it is a common problem.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Aug 152005

Tahoe 8-cyl

2004 Tahoe trailer tow inoperative. No hitch pack on the vehicle, so I was not overly concerned, but now I have many other indication problems with my cluster and speed control, perhaps they are related. GM will not warranty the known issue with the speed control and cluster. Complaint previously filed and GM customer service previously contacted. Issue not resolved.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Aug 152005

Tahoe 8-cyl

2004 Tahoe air conditioning unit will stop and start blowing hot air at maximum volume. Vehicle must be shut down completely and restarted to correct the issue temporarily. Issue has been intermittent since the vehicle was new. GM could never duplicate, no repair ever made to vehicle. On going issue with heating and cooling system.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Sep 052009

Tahoe

1. normal daily driving 2. the speedometer stopped working as did the tachometer, battery gauge and oil pressure gauge. 3. nothing was done. Not a recall not under warranty.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Mar 272010

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer does not indicate correct speed. Speedometer does not return to zero mph when vehicle stopped. Speedometer is intermittent.

- Tuxedo, NY, USA

Dec 102008

Tahoe

The voltage meter bottomed out while driving back in 2008. It alternated between registering correctly and then incorrectly until Dec 2009 when it bottomed out and stayed. I have no idea what state my battery is in because of this. I've had it checked out twice by the dealer. The first time, in Dec 2008, the meter worked just fine and the repairman could not get it to bottom out during an 18 mile test drive. The next day, it dropped below the last reading possible on the gauge and I drove it right back to the dealer. They told me that the entire instrument panel would need to be replaced. The Tahoe had over 100,000 miles on it so it would not have qualified for the proposed class action settlement filed back in 2008.

- New Haven, KY, USA

Jan 152010

Tahoe

On this date the speedometer and battery gauge began to go haywire, at first they began to jump up so it looked like I was driving faster then I was down the interstate. The next day when I drove my Tahoe the speedometer kept getting higher and has maxed out over 120 mph, and the battery meter well over 19 volts and they do not move anymore. I now have to rely on a portable gps in my car to estimate how fast I am traveling. I see there was a class action lawsuit on this, but I am 3,000 miles over the 80,000 required to get a replacement gauge cluster.

- Owatonna, MN, USA

Jul 012009

Tahoe

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. Speedometer failure at around 80,000 miles. I've been running on the speed indicator of my gps for the last 20,000 miles. Speedometer failures, due to faulty equipment, should be repaired in a recall by the manufacturer. The "silent" recall issued in 2007 never made it to me and it was only for cars under 70,000 miles. Speedometers are "safety" equipment. They shouldn't fail as often as the 2004 model year General Motors vehicles are failing. There are way too many people having to spend four-hundred to six-hundred dollars on a repair that should be General Motors responsibility.

- Emerald Isle, NC, USA

Dec 272004

Tahoe

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe instrument panel. Oil, temperature, speed volts gauges fail.

- Dinuba, CA, USA

Oct 242009

Tahoe

The speedometer on my 2004 Tahoe does not give accurate speed readings. It said I was doing 62 miles an hour on the highway and I started passing every car on the road. I slowed down and then it never got above 15 miles an hour and I was on the highway. After shutting off the Tahoe for a few minutes it worked again. This happens regularly if I drive the car for more than about 30 minutes at a time.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 152009

Tahoe

Wow! I just got off the phone with Chevrolet about my speedometer not working at all. The rep stated this was not a recall but an extension of the warranty for the cluster if your VIN# falls w/in a certain range. Mine falls w/in the range but I'm over 80,000 miles and I bought the car used so had no idea about the wty extension. This makes no sense to me the cluster / speedometer is not an added feature or accessory, but mandatory on all vehicles. In other words no vehicles are purchased with out it. Why is this not a recall it is a safety issue! there was a lawsuit on this, but only extended the warranty mileage, what"??? it is defective no matter what the mileage, recall it before someone is seriously hurt due to an accident. I guess until it's recalled we can just guess what speed we are going, that's legal, right" help asap!!!!!

- Lufkin, TX, USA

Jun 202009

Tahoe

Speedometer registers 80mph at complete stop, 120 mph with movement. Problem did occur without warning. At this time not repaired because I do not have $500. I think it is a safety issue and Chevrolet should pay for repair even in my car is over 70,000 miles (is 83,000 now). I think we all want to save american car industry (with the help of taxpayers money), but we need to send the message to these people that they should be making reliable cars. Please we need a recall for the problem. I do want to keep buying american, but you need to help us out.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 012009

Tahoe

Failed speedometer. Started of messing up occasionally, but then began reading the wrong speed. Saying that I was going 25 when I was really going 55.

- Bossier, LA, USA