3.2

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 162009

Tahoe

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 87000 miles on it. Problem is internal gauge cluster defect. In other words, the speedometer doesn't work. Chevy/GM admits that certain vins had defective clusters installed (including mine) yet they will not recall them and/or replace them unless the vehicle has less then 70000 miles on it. The fact that this is a defective part and not just normal wear and tear and also that thousands of Chevy/GM owners are experiencing the exact same problem should constitute a recall, regardless of mileage. There are speed limits set on all roads because it is unsafe to drive at too high of a speed. If we could all accurately judge how fast we were going we would not need speedometers. However, we do need them and when they all the sudden your speedometer starts going crazy (I.e. show your speed as 120 when you are in fact doing 30 or showing it at 35 when you are doing 75) it becomes a safety concern. The dealership where I purchased my car wants $575 to fix their defective part and GM/Chevrolet has told me "sorry, can't help you".

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

May 232006

Tahoe

Speedometer defect: Gauge does move some of the time but does not read actual speed this suddenly occurred on long trip.

- Glendale , AZ, USA

Apr 152008

Tahoe

Instrument panel malfunctions by sticking while driving and not returning to zero when the car is turned off. In order to get the speedometer to zero out you have to turn the car on and off until the needle drops to zero. Other times the instrument panel fails to register any values. I called Chevrolet customer assistance center they referred me to the dealership which wants to charge me $ 500 for the part and an amount to be determined in labor ($200-300) to replace the instrument cluster. This appears to be a known defect for model years 2003-2007. Several complaints have been filed in court. Northern district of ca. One such matter. Hundreds, if not thousands of defective instrument panels have been cited by the case filing and the listing on several public websites that include the NHTSA website. The NHTSA cites in reports that in 2005 30% of accidents leading to fatalities are speed related crashes; the same reference lists 13,113 lives were lost. Considering this assessment by the NHTSA - I find this matter not subject to full recall or further detailed investigation an alarming issue. Due to the instrument panel being a vital measuring device for the operator this becomes a significant safety and concern for all consumers who are on roads where these vehicles are used not just the owners.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 212008

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving approximately 25 mph in inclement weather conditions, the speedometer displayed inaccurate readings. The failure occurred without warning. The authorized dealer was notified of the failure and an appointment was scheduled for repair service. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 42,515.

- Parker, , CO, USA

Oct 202008

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving approximately 55-60 mph on normal road conditions, the four wheel drive activated without assistance. The four wheel drive mechanism failed to respond when the contact attempted to deactivate the system. The four wheel drive warning indicator illuminated intermittently on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection, but they were unable to determine the cause of the failure. Recently, the front driver's and passenger side seats failed to recline backwards. In addition, there was water leaking from the sunroof near the passenger side sun visor. Finally, the passenger side power window and heated seat failed to operate. The VIN and mileages were unknown.

- Elkhorn, KY, USA

Sep 132008

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact received a notice from the manufacturer for the instrument cluster, which advised her to take the vehicle to the nearest dealer for service. He was not experiencing any failures at the time the notice was received. Approximately one month later, the speedometer, heat control, fuel gauge dial, and other instrument panel indicators failed. The speedometer displayed a higher speed than what was actually being driven. At startup, the speedometer would read approximately 70 mph and then later register 120 mph when the vehicle was in motion. The dealer advised her to call the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle exceeded the mileage requirement; therefore, they would not assist with the repairs. The dealer stated that the repair would cost over $400 for the part alone. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current mileage was 78,323 and failure mileage was approximately 77,000.

- Headland, AL, USA

Nov 282008

Tahoe

My 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 102,000 miles has speedometer needle that suddenly becomes erratic while driving after 30 minutes at 50-60 mph. It will reset to normal after a few engine starts and shuts down. I hear this is a common problem with GM trucks of this era. Isn't this a safety hazard" is there a recall"

- O' Fallon , MO, USA

Nov 102008

Tahoe

Speedometer not indicating the correct speed.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Oct 112008

Tahoe

On October 11, 2008, the speedometer in my 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe failed. Sometimes the needle moves, but it is completely unreliable. This failure occurs everytime I start the engine. When driving this vehicle, I can never be sure if I am traveling at the correct rate of speed. I am very concerned for the safety of my family while in this vehicle. I have not been able to have this vehicle repaired yet as the cost is extremely high.

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Nov 232008

Tahoe

2004 Chevy Tahoe with 78K miles. On a road trip, speedometer increased to indicate 120+ mph. When vehicle stops indicator only falls to 55-65 mph. No change if vehicle is shut down. No other instruments appear to be affected. Appears to be a class action suit on this issue in California.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 312008

Tahoe

Speedometer on 2004 Tahoe quit working. Started getting stuck between 40 mph & 120 mph, but now has stopped completely. Received a letter from GM about 1 month ago, but it stated the problem was not a recall & would replace it up to 70 K miles. Mine has 77 K. just my luck. This should be a recall.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Tahoe 8-cyl

Memory seat does not operate properly. When you use fob or key to access vehicle, seats, mirrors and radio randomly choose their own positions.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 012008

Tahoe 8-cyl

Well where should I begin, the first problem was the clunking of the front end when going in and out of driveways, the first steering shaft was replaced, a couple of months later the speedometer started making noise, that was replaced, then the clunking noise reappeared, this time it supposedly needed to be lubed, it was fine, however noise reappeared, then the second shaft was installed, the tire sensor light intermittently comes on when ever it feels like it, and tire pressure is normal, now the windshield wipers will not shut off when it rains except when you turn the vehicle off, however they come back on when you restart the car after hours of sitting, my wife is expecting our second child and also drive my 5 year old in this vehicle, this car is piece junk, GM needs to take back pride in there craftsmanship step up to the plate like there consumers did and fix this ?!@#$%! they need to extend there warranties because there cars do not last as they mislead you to believe!!!

- Pinole , CA, USA

Dec 102006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer intermittently indicates vehicle's speed well below actual speed. Problem seems to occur after vehicle has run for 2 to 3 hours. On interstate, running with normal traffic at approx. 70 mph, speedometer will indicate 35 to 40 mph or not work at all. Cruise control also fails to work when speedometer becomes erratic.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Nov 142006

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer, voltage gauge, and tachometer gauges are not working properly.

- Lufkin, TX, USA

Nov 082006

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Speedometer indicated much higher speed than indicated (anywhere from 50 to over 120 miles per hour when completely stopped, or over 120 mph when driving at about 70 mph actual. Was reset by repeated restarting the engine (which lowerred the minimum indicated speed by 7-10 mph per start). Drove 120 miles with gps confirming speedometer's indicated speed, but I'm not comfortable issue is resolved. 2004 Chevy Tahoe lt, approx 30,000 miles. Never involved in any accident, no body/mechanical/electrical repairs or modifications.

- Bennington, NE, USA

Oct 272006

Tahoe

On October 27th, the speedometer on my 2004 Chevy Tahoe began to stop working. My vehicle has 49K miles on it. The speedometer gets stuck at various points and will peg out at over 120. On many occasions, it will not come off of zero. If you turn the car off and restart it, it will drop the needle about 5 mph, but will never zero itself back out. I called the dealership (bill heard Chevrolet, collierville, tn) the day that it occurred. I was advised that this was a common occurrence and was a problem with the instrument panel cluster. I was also advised that it would cost around $600-$700 to repair. After doing some research, I have discovered that this seems to be a defect in GM trucks and SUV's. it is extremely dangerous! I asked the dealership if there was a recall and was advised that there was not. This is not just happening to me. I truly believe that GM should issue a recall to have this instrument panel repaired. People expect reliability when they invest this type of money into a vehicle and they are not getting it from GM or it's parts.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Nov 202006

Tahoe 8-cyl

2004 Tahoe speedometer is pegged full scale while parked in driveway with engine off. Noticed several others having same speedometer related problems on internet forums. This is a safety issue that should be addressed immediately through a recall by the manufacturer.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Nov 142006

Tahoe 8-cyl

Started vehicle November 14,2006 speedometer is showing at between 70 mph and 120 mph when at full stop. Unable to figure out how fast I am going. Internet is showing that a lot of GMC SUV and truck owners from 2003-2006 are having this issue. Dealers and mechanics are charging between $600-$800 to repair.

- Falcon, CO, USA

Oct 122006

Tahoe

The speedometer started going way below the actual speed I was going. I'd have to turn the engine off and restart it and keep doing this until it gets back to normal. This went on for several weeks where it was fine, then it would drop below 0 at a stop sign, then would show 10 mph when I was actually doing about 35. Now it's doing just the opposite. The other night I looked down at the speedometer and almost panicked because it said I was going 90 mph! I was actually doing around 50. This is a very serious safety issue and GMC should recall.

- Garland, TX, USA