2004 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 192016

While driving I had a real bad clunking noise in my steering wheel.I took it to the victory layne Chevy dealer and spent a significant amount to pay for a defective intermediate steering shaft and column bearing replaced because I was concerned about driving it. Now my instrument cluster fuel guage is defective, the ABS light& parking brake lights don't come on with the key on or at all and there are no codes from the dealer.

- Ftmyers, FL, USA

Dec 192015

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that unknown warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they could not diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Nov 042015

When using the air conditioner it sometimes blows very hot air. Now that it is cold out when using the heater it sometimes blows ice cold air. If this happens I have to stop, turn off my vehicle, then when I restart the vehicle it does the right thing. Some times I have to do this more then once to get it to work. I got a recall notice a while back but the dealer said it is only for when it smells like smoke. Guess they want me to have an electrical fire before they will fix it.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Jul 082013

While driving my electrical gauges all went crazy and then quit one by one. I have only 2 left that work. My windshield wipers do not turn off and intermittent does not work on them. My hub on front tires keep needing replaced. They come lose to point of tire nearly falling off. My engine light came on and never turned off.

- Whittier, NC, USA

Aug 142014

On an exit ramp getting ready to merge with traffic and the engine cuts off. I was able to stop. Turned the key repeatedly, and though the radio and dash lights came on the engine would not turn over. I had the Tahoe in "park" my foot on the brake. Nothing. Shifted it to neutral and tried: Nothing. Movd the column up and down: Nothing. Pounded on the column: Amen it started. Drove to mechanic: Could not duplicate problem. No data in computer indicating any problem. 6 weeks go by and Tahoe will not start in my driveway. Go though the same litany again. Finally started. My wife takes my Tahoe to lowe's in January car will not start. She tried so many times she drained the battery. I hooked up the jumper cables and it started immediately. I take it to mechanic and he "thinks" it's part of the ignition module, but doesn't know for sure. The part alone is $250. I decline to spend money on a maybe. Then for 4 months no problems. May 31st 2015, Tahoe will not start. It started fine May 29th. Not only would it not start, but the battery was dead. Radio was out of sequence by 8 hours. Charged the battery and Tahoe still would not start. Had a friend who is a mechanic come over to look at it and here's the part the really ticks me off. I get in and without any fuss the darn thing started, turned it off and it started, did this 20 times, it started every time. I would conclude that it was the starter, except for the fact that two times it shut off while I was driving it. We own three Tahoe's. 2002, 2003, and 2004. I don't have this problem with the 2002, and 2003 Tahoe's. is this an ignition problem other's have experienced. Does it have any connection to the other Chevrolet ignition problems. I have two young son's and will not drive this Tahoe, with them in it.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jul 092015

Started my vehicle and let it warm up. No issues.. after waiting 5 min I drove away from my house and within 1 minute of driving( could of been less), all of my dash lights flashed/glitched, and my gauge needles go all the way down, I lose accuracy of speed, fuel, temps, etc. My indicator( where it shows mileage) reset to "driver 1". same thing happens everytime, and its always random, except the last 2 days. I just purchased this vehicle used, last year and a carfax was done and I just did a VIN search and nothing states this vehicle was either recalled or was the problem originally fixed when there was a recall.

- Sequim, WA, USA

Oct 042014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Driving slow down a block and smelled electrical fire smoke. The smoke got worse and darker and it was coming up from under my legs (I was driving). I pulled over, put my emergency blinkers on and turned off the engine. Had a hard time getting my seat belt unbuckled, but finally got it off and jumped out of the car. The smoke got really bad and very rapidly the driver seat caught on fire. My brother was with me, he was out of the car as well, and he called the fire department. Police and fire department arrived and put the fire out. The car was towed. If I hadn't gotten out of the car as fast as I did I would have caught on fire as well.

- Newbury Park , CA, USA

Sep 212014

Vehicle registered "reduced engine power" while I was on the highway, I was able to get to the shoulder, online research showed numerous incidents involving the throttle body sensor and the wires crimping, there was something about the wiring harness being covered by GM but it does not appear on a recall list.

- Lafayette Hill, PA, USA

May 172007

Tahoe 8-cyl

The entire instrument cluster failed including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

- Rex, GA, USA

Jul 022013

The dash for the past year will work for a month or two, then go out for a month or two. I can not read any of my dash gauges. I can't tell how fast I'm going or how much gas I have etc. I have read where numerous other Tahoe owners have experienced the same issue. It is very annoying and not safe for my teenage son to drive. With as many complaints as have been filed, can we get a recall?

- Cordova, TN, USA

Apr 112010

Tahoe 8-cyl

This vehicle has had numerous, frequent, and persistent electrical problems. The approximate date given was with the air conditioning where it blew only hot air. Two "repairs" at the dealer and two subsequent repairs finally revealed electrical problems. The real safety issues that continue are with the instrument panel that has at times affected the speedometer, tachometer (continuous problem), oil pressure gauge (continuous problem), and no dash lights at night. Computer analyses and resets have not solved the problem. Many other people have had the same issue, as evidenced by testimonials on forums and complaints. The danger in this is lights going out to a blank dash at night, engine problems that could result from the lack of a functioning oil gauge, and inaccurate or no speed readings. Should be a recall for the control panel system at the least. Thank you.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 052014

Tahoe 8-cyl

The voltmeter does not read and needle is stuck below the gauge and now the speedometer is starting to go out, this is a safety concern. There was an extended warranty on the instrument panel however we could not take it in until it showed signs of failure. The failure Accord now with 142,000 which is over the 80,000 extended warranty. I am the original owner of the vehicle and the best GM has offered to do for me is take $58 off a $475 repair. I have talked to my dealership about just paying for the labor if they would replace the part but nope. I just moved to the area and do not have a service record with a dealer however I have had my vehicle serviced at only GM dealerships across the country. The original dealership I purchased the vehicle from is no longer in business and the other dealership I use to go to in my other state offered to basically replace the part with myself paying the labor however I live over 700 miles away from the dealership to have it done. If that can be done there why can't the dealership offer the same where I am now? I bought the vehicle new in good faith and only have purchased Chevrolet products my entire life. I do not understand why GM cannot help me out, they know this part is faulty, plain and simple.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Sep 102013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the speedometer malfunctioned and she was unable to tell how fast she was driving. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 99,000 and the current mileage was 109,000.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 282014

I was driving down the road when my 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe caught on fire burning to the ground. The report from the fire department says that the fire started due to failure of equipment or a heat source and that there were no human factors contributing to the fire.while looking on the internet I have found at least one other person that has encountered the same problem with her 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe.

- Moultrie , GA, USA

Jan 172014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer is reading erratically. When engine is turned of it does not go to zero and when driving sometimes it reads faster than actual speed and sometimes lower.

- Kenesaw, GA, USA

Dec 042013

Tahoe 8-cyl

A few weeks ago I was traveling down hwy 60 in southwest Missouri and the "reduced engine power" light came on. The vehicle immediately slowed to about 4-5 miles per hour and I was unable to accelerate. I crawled to the next exit where I barely made it up the incline and into a gas station. We checked the gas, oil, battery, etc. I turned off the vehicle and when I started it up again, it seemed fine. I continued home. The next day I took it to a mechanic who said that it all checked out perfectly and there was nothing wrong. This has happened 12-15 times in the last month and every time I take it to the mechanic, he tells me that the computer is not "throwing codes" and there is nothing wrong. This is not a figment of my imagination. This keeps happening. The most recent "episode" was last night. We took the boat down to the river to go gigging at night. When I went to pull the trailer up the boat ramp and park the vehicle, the "reduced engine power" light again came on and I could not pull up the hill. Every time I attempted it, the light came on and I actually went backwards towards the river!! my children were in the vehicle and I was scared we would be trapped it something further malfunctioned and we rolled back into the deep cold water!!! from what I have now researched GM is aware of this problem and I do not understand why a problem this potentially deadly has not been dealt with! I am not the first owner of this vehicle and have never had a problem like this. I am a single mother of three beautiful boys and I am scared to drive my car because of this. I cannot put them in a potentially deadly situation. So our only vehicle sits and waits in our driveway leaving me stranded a lot until GM can come up with a solution on their dime. This isn't fair that a problem is know and no one at GM will fix it. Please help fix this before someone dies!

- Mountain Grove, MO, USA

Jan 022012

The vehicle has been engaging in 4-wheel drive on its on for over a year even when traveling on the highway at 55 mph or more. When taken to the dealership, was told that this is a very common problem seen in this type of vehicle and very costly to fix. Was told to wait until it becomes more problematic to repair because of the cost. Now the light does not show on the panel to show if it is in 2 or 4 wheel drive and it is happening more frequently.

- Union, SC, USA

Sep 012012

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the driver's side door lock failed and would not activate whether attempting to engage manually or electronically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V248000 (electrical system, visibility). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 155,000.

- Watertown , WI, USA

Aug 052011

Tahoe 8-cyl

I was driving on E-470 westbound near quebec when the car shutdown completely. No power. The car then would not start and had to be towed to the dealer to have a computer check. They told me it was the fuel pump, after a week, when I was having it towed to my mechanic for the repair, I decided to try to start it and it started right up. I drove it to my mechanic who checked the fuel pump and said it was fine. They could not find a reason why this happened. Same with another mechanic. Since then (I had owned the car for 5 months at that point) this has happened four more times, the latest on May 9th. Again it's been towed and again I am trying to find a permanent solution. I am now finding out the passlock anti-theft system malfunctions and cuts off fuel to the pump because the car thinks it is being stolen. I have also learned it has been a common problem in many GMC models over many years. Sometimes the passlock system can be reset (though that has never worked for me). The only way to permanently fix the problem is to disable the passlock anti-theft system. These systems should be removed from these cars. I would rather my car be stolen then shut down at 65 mph or when my wife is driving home from downtown denver at 10:30 at night through not so great parts of town.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Oct 022012

Tahoe 8-cyl

The speedometer fluctuated over a period of 2-3 days, then stopped working. I called a mechanic and was told this is a "known problem" with this vehicle and that there was a campaign. Unfortunately, this campaign has long expired. This is an expensive safety issue because the driver cannot tell how fast the vehicle is traveling. It should be a safety recall.

- Gainesville, FL, USA