2004 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System

NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe (Page 1 of 4)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 042014

Tahoe

Driving slow down a block and smelled electrical fire smoke. The smoke got worse and darker and it was coming up from under my legs (I was driving). I pulled over, put my emergency blinkers on and turned off the engine. Had a hard time getting my seat belt unbuckled, but finally got it off and jumped out of the car. The smoke got really bad and very rapidly the driver seat caught on fire. My brother was with me, he was out of the car as well, and he called the fire department. Police and fire department arrived and put the fire out. The car was towed. If I hadn't gotten out of the car as fast as I did I would have caught on fire as well.

- Newbury Park , CA, USA

Sep 212014

Tahoe

Vehicle registered "reduced engine power" while I was on the highway, I was able to get to the shoulder, online research showed numerous incidents involving the throttle body sensor and the wires crimping, there was something about the wiring harness being coverd by GM but it does not appear on a recall list.

- Lafayette Hill, PA, USA

May 172007

Tahoe

The entire instrument cluster failed including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

- Rex, GA, USA

Jul 022013

Tahoe

The dash for the past year will work for a month or two, then go out for a month or two. I can not read any of my dash gauges. I can't tell how fast I'm going or how much gas I have etc. I have read where numerous other Tahoe owners have experienced the same issue. It is very annoying and not safe for my teenage son to drive. With as many complaints as have been filed, can we get a recall?

- Cordova, TN, USA

Apr 112010

Tahoe

This vehicle has had numerous, frequent, and persistent electrical problems. The approximate date given was with the air conditioning where it blew only hot air. Two "repairs" at the dealer and two subsequent repairs finally revealed electrical problems. The real safety issues that continue are with the instrument panel that has at times affected the speedometer, tachometer (continuous problem), oil pressure gauge (continuous problem), and no dash lights at night. Computer analyses and resets have not solved the problem. Many other people have had the same issue, as evidenced by testimonials on forums and complaints. The danger in this is lights going out to a blank dash at night, engine problems that could result from the lack of a functioning oil gauge, and inaccurate or no speed readings. Should be a recall for the control panel system at the least. Thank you.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 052014

Tahoe 8-cyl

The voltmeter does not read and needle is stuck below the gauge and now the speedometer is starting to go out, this is a safety concern. There was an extended warranty on the instrument panel however we could not take it in until it showed signs of failure. The failure Accord now with 142,000 which is over the 80,000 extended warranty. I am the original owner of the vehicle and the best GM has offered to do for me is take $58 off a $475 repair. I have talked to my dealership about just paying for the labor if they would replace the part but nope. I just moved to the area and do not have a service record with a dealer however I have had my vehicle serviced at only GM dealerships across the country. The original dealership I purchased the vehicle from is no longer in business and the other dealership I use to go to in my other state offered to basically replace the part with myself paying the labor however I live over 700 miles away from the dealership to have it done. If that can be done there why can't the dealership offer the same where I am now? I bought the vehicle new in good faith and only have purchased Chevrolet products my entire life. I do not understand why GM cannot help me out, they know this part is faulty, plain and simple.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Sep 102013

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the speedometer malfunctioned and she was unable to tell how fast she was driving. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 99,000 and the current mileage was 109,000.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 282014

Tahoe

I was driving down the road when my 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe caught on fire burning to the ground. The report from the fire department says that the fire started due to failure of equipment or a heat source and that there were no human factors contributing to the fire.while looking on the internet I have found at least one other person that has encountered the same problem with her 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe.

- Moultrie , GA, USA

Jan 172014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Speedometer is reading erratically. When engine is turned of it does not go to zero and when driving sometimes it reads faster than actual speed and sometimes lower.

- Kenesaw, GA, USA

Dec 042013

Tahoe 8-cyl

A few weeks ago I was traveling down hwy 60 in southwest Missouri and the "reduced engine power" light came on. The vehicle immediately slowed to about 4-5 miles per hour and I was unable to accelerate. I crawled to the next exit where I barely made it up the incline and into a gas station. We checked the gas, oil, battery, etc. I turned off the vehicle and when I started it up again, it seemed fine. I continued home. The next day I took it to a mechanic who said that it all checked out perfectly and there was nothing wrong. This has happened 12-15 times in the last month and every time I take it to the mechanic, he tells me that the computer is not "throwing codes" and there is nothing wrong. This is not a figment of my imagination. This keeps happening. The most recent "episode" was last night. We took the boat down to the river to go gigging at night. When I went to pull the trailer up the boat ramp and park the vehicle, the "reduced engine power" light again came on and I could not pull up the hill. Every time I attempted it, the light came on and I actually went backwards towards the river!! my children were in the vehicle and I was scared we would be trapped it something further malfunctioned and we rolled back into the deep cold water!!! from what I have now researched GM is aware of this problem and I do not understand why a problem this potentially deadly has not been dealt with! I am not the first owner of this vehicle and have never had a problem like this. I am a single mother of three beautiful boys and I am scared to drive my car because of this. I cannot put them in a potentially deadly situation. So our only vehicle sits and waits in our driveway leaving me stranded a lot until GM can come up with a solution on their dime. This isn't fair that a problem is know and no one at GM will fix it. Please help fix this before someone dies!

- Mountain Grove, MO, USA

Jan 022012

Tahoe

The vehicle has been engaging in 4-wheel drive on its on for over a year even when traveling on the highway at 55 mph or more. When taken to the dealership, was told that this is a very common problem seen in this type of vehicle and very costly to fix. Was told to wait until it becomes more problematic to repair because of the cost. Now the light does not show on the panel to show if it is in 2 or 4 wheel drive and it is happening more frequently.

- Union, SC, USA

Sep 012012

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the driver's side door lock failed and would not activate whether attempting to engage manually or electronically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V248000 (electrical system, visibility). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 155,000.

- Watertown , WI, USA

Aug 052011

Tahoe 8-cyl

I was driving on E-470 westbound near quebec when the car shutdown completely. No power. The car then would not start and had to be towed to the dealer to have a computer check. They told me it was the fuel pump, after a week, when I was having it towed to my mechanic for the repair, I decided to try to start it and it started right up. I drove it to my mechanic who checked the fuel pump and said it was fine. They could not find a reason why this happened. Same with another mechanic. Since then (I had owned the car for 5 months at that point) this has happened four more times, the latest on May 9th. Again it's been towed and again I am trying to find a permanent solution. I am now finding out the passlock anti-theft system malfunctions and cuts off fuel to the pump because the car thinks it is being stolen. I have also learned it has been a common problem in many GMC models over many years. Sometimes the passlock system can be reset (though that has never worked for me). The only way to permanently fix the problem is to disable the passlock anti-theft system. These systems should be removed from these cars. I would rather my car be stolen then shut down at 65 mph or when my wife is driving home from downtown denver at 10:30 at night through not so great parts of town.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Oct 022012

Tahoe 8-cyl

The speedometer fluctuated over a period of 2-3 days, then stopped working. I called a mechanic and was told this is a "known problem" with this vehicle and that there was a campaign. Unfortunately, this campaign has long expired. This is an expensive safety issue because the driver cannot tell how fast the vehicle is traveling. It should be a safety recall.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Tahoe

I ad no idea that this was an on going issue with the 2004 Tahoe until a co-worker mentioned he had the same problem and then when I had a smog check done this year. I noticed about a little over a year ago that my gauges were not working. Didn't really look into as, I have regular oil changes and check my levels regularly too. But recently my speedometer doesn't read the speed correctly. It's now a permanent issue and I will have to replace the cluster panel completely it's a serious safety issue and I cannot believe GM will not recall for this item! how many others out there have the same problem and just like me, did not know it was an issue!

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Sep 182012

Tahoe

The speedometer, oil gauge and RPM gage on the cluster panel quit working. I think this should be a recall for the Chevrolet dealership. This is a default that should be fixed free of charge to the owners. No one wants to purchase a vehicle and have to put in the shop for a manufacture problem.

- Mulberry, TN, USA

Sep 212012

Tahoe 8-cyl

On Sept 21, 2012 I was driving home for lunch and after driving for about 10 minutes I notice my radio shut off and on, the power door locks kept locking and unlocking. Also, the gauges on the dash where coming on and off and all the lights inside on the Tahoe where going on and off also. As soon as everything stopped my airbags deployed and hit my face and chest. I remember a cloud of white powder and realized I was still driving. I was able to avoid running into on coming traffic.

- Palmer, AK, USA

Jun 022008

Tahoe 8-cyl

Control panel cluster is failing first causing the gas gauge to not work at all and then the speedometer to malfunction.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Nov 052011

Tahoe

I was driving on the highway when I glanced at my gauges. The tachometer reading was below zero. Then suddenly my speedometer started slowly falling from 65 to 70 mph to just below zero as well. Still driving. About 20 minutes later. The speedometer started to slowly rise. Finally it stayed steady at about 35 mph. This created a problem. Because I wasn't going 35mph on the highway. During this time, I tried not to increase or decrease my speed. I went with the flow of traffic. Because, obviously, it was a safe rate of speed at that time. Because the tachometer wasn't working too. The approximate calculation of my rate of speed. Could not be ascertained. "speed" is a significant threat to public safety. Whether it be the regular streets throughout your town or the interstate highway. Another reason to consider this a public safety issue is. Someone maybe driving faster than the speed rating of their tires. Because of instrument panel malfunction. The risk of serious tire issues have now increased. This is a direct safety issue. Through some research of my own. I found that alot of the effected vehicles. Started having this issue after 70000 to 80000 miles. GM's attempt to rectify this safety hazard is lame at most. 7 yrs 70,000 miles. These numbers were picked so they could keep their costs at a minimum. We, the consumer, are being forced. To take it once again. From the big businesses that refuse to take responsibility. For the very dangerous issues of which they created! has anyone figured out how many SUV's have been or will be effected" how many of them are or will be on the road" also, once the instrument panel cluster gets replaced. The odometer & hour readings need to be reset. This opens the door for a new set of problems. Odometer fraud.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Mar 012006

Tahoe 8-cyl

I bought this vehicle brand new in 2005. After appox. 5 yrs, the instrument panel started slowly not working. At first it was the speedometer, then fuel gauge and now the entire instrument panel is useless. Not one gauge is working. I have researched and found the same issues with the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. I, for one, see this as a dangerous situation as well as completely against the law to be driving a vehicle without a speedometer. This is now the only vehicle that I have and I have to depend on this vehicle to drive my family around in. I don't have the means to have this issue fixed and due to the same issue with many of the same vehicles, I think Chevrolet should be held responsible before someone gets either stranded or hurt due to their negligence.

- Hazel Green, AL, USA