$2,250.00

1. replace engine (3 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Jun 092008

Tahoe Z71 5.3L

At 81,000 miles this Chevy Tahoe has been nothing but problems. I just replaced the intake manifold gasket about a month ago, and now my coolant is disappearing with no leaks found and pressure test performed. That can only mean 1 thing, Head Gasket or Head cracked on this lemon. I will not purchase another Chevy

- , Anoka, MN, USA

Apr 012007

Tahoe Z71

I had a 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with 115,000 miles. The engine was making the same ping noise when starting as Curt from PA described. A mechanic told me it was a casting defect on the head gasket. He had obviously seen this problem before. I contacted GMAC to see if they would reimburse me since it wasn't under warranty, but they would not. In good faith I decided to buy a new 2007 Tahoe because I didn't want to take a chance in driving a defective car. I still paid to have the engine fixed in the 2004 Tahoe prior to trading it. I had to come out of pocket to pay the $1500.00. No summer vacation for my family last year. I think I have made a mistake in buying this new Tahoe. I was backing out yesterday and heard a metallic sound. I am going to have it checked out this week. I really think GMAC should do something to reimburse me!!! I even asked for an extended warranty on my new vehicle but they would not oblige. Here is my advice- do not buy a Chevrolet Tahoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Hatchechubbee, AL, USA

Nov 062007

Tahoe Z71 5.3L Litre

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71. It has 80,000 miles. The engine was making a pinging noise when starting and would eventually go away after the engine was warm. I took it in for service to the chevy dealership and they said it needs a new engine. Coolant was leaking into the engine. Not what you would expect with a $48,000 vehicle.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Feb 182007

Tahoe LS 5.3

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 with 52k miles and a blown head gasket and out of warranty. I called Chevy and they said sorry! I took it a private mechanic and 3 weeks later he has come to the conclusion of replacing the engine. (Not happy with his service). Has this happened to anyone else. I am disgusted that at 52k I need to replace the motor. Going into Chevy tomorrow to raise hell. Any info would help....

- , Altla Loma, CA, USA