2.1

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 012011

Tahoe

The speedometer would not decrease speed, and but would register an increase, and consequently would not reflect actual speed. I could correct problem by repeatedly starting vehicle, until eventually it just would no longer register a change in speed at all. Now I have no idea what speed my vehicle is traveling.

- Montgomery, , AL, USA

Sep 152012

Tahoe 8-cyl

While driving down freeway at 65mph the speedometer went to 105mph. It now reads 25mph when stopped and will read 65mph while only traveling 35mph. This has been verified with a gps. This has been an on going problem with a lot of GM vehicles and many customers have complained about the same problem. The only fix is a new instrument cluster. Something needs to be done about this, a recall needs to be done!

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

May 042012

Tahoe 8-cyl

The safety issue here is the fact that GM door actuators do not work properly. GM is not recalling the parts and this has been going on for years. Doors will not lock, or open consistently, and they do not cover the repairs unless you have the original factory warranty or it might be covered on major guard which they don't even offer on my vehicle. The internet is filled with thousands of people with the issue. People can be carjacked, or their vehicles stolen because their door locks won't function. GM just flat out does not care, and the problem isn't just on the Tahoe & Suburban lines. Here are just a few links out there on this issue. townhall-talk.edmunds.com/webx"14@@.F206D4B/0 www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php"T=7950 and here's someone who appears to have a fix, get rid of the cheap chinese parts. www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/F69/Tahoe-door-lock-actuator-problem-solution-27064/ the fact that this business practice is allowed to continue seems absurd. This part needs to be fixed and a recall issued. At a minimum it should be covered by GM for all failures on all vehicles.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Feb 232012

Tahoe

The rear tailgate lock stopped functioning which prevents the rear window or the tailgate to be opened. There is not a manual way to open the tailgate or window from the inside either.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jan 042012

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

My speedometer has recently either not moved at all or displays excessive speeds including 120mph when traveling on average of 35mph to 50mph which is are the regular limits for my area. Some speeds were as low as 25. Lately, it has only worked for a small percentage of the time. The onstar diagnostic does not even detect that this has/is a problem.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 012011

Tahoe

All the gauges on my dashboard quit working all at once except my fuel gauge and speedometer. There are lots of complaints on this and GM needs to issue a recall and fix this.

- Henrietta, TX, USA

Dec 152011

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact was driving 70 mph when the speedometer failed and reset to zero. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 61,890 and the current mileage was 62,100.

- Mindoro, WI, USA

Aug 152011

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that all of the instrument panel gauges were defective and did not provide an accurate reading. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed the failure and advised that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 122,000.

- Byhalia, MS, USA

Jul 062011

Tahoe

My 2005 Chevy Tahoe 71Z speedometer has failed. It registers variable speeds which I know to be incorrect. Internet search confirms it is the stepper motor which must be replaced. Several complaints by other owners have been filed. GM should recall the 2005's as they did the 2003 and 2004 for the same problem.

- Winters, CA, USA

Oct 162011

Tahoe

The Chevrolet Tahoe tailgate lock do not have an emergency release inside the car. The tailgate actuator has stop functioning on my car and there no way for me to open the door. Not even trying to open with a key, because there is no key option to open the door on this model on the outside tailgate. Since, Chevrolet failed to place a release inside the car. I feel that this is a serious life or death issue. If my kids are in the car trying to escape a fire or car submerged under water. There will be no way for them to escape. This item need to be corrected and fixed. I'm finding several incidents on the internet were the locking unit has failed. This is a serious safety issue.

- Katy , TX, USA

Feb 152011

Speedometer failure.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Oct 102010

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Chevy Tahoe w/ approx. 86,000 miles oil pressure gauge and speedometer not working properly. Both gauges continue to move back and forth sometimes going all the way to the left(in the red) and sometimes all the way to the right.

- Charlotte Ch, VA, USA

Dec 262009

Tahoe

I currently own a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe, recently the speedometer and oil gauge meter stopped working completely. Chevy refuses to fix the condition unless I pay out of pocket $800.

- Brentwood , CA, USA

Nov 092009

Tahoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe speedometer will not read correctly, sticks and can be 20mph off at times or stuck over 100.

- Poynette, WI, USA

Nov 092009

- Poynette, WI, USA

Jan 132010

Tahoe

I am writing this to complain about a fire hazard with the seat warmers in 2005 Chevy Tahoe. I had to take my vehical to the repair shop because my seat warmer would get warmer than usual and after 2 to 3 minutes would shut off. Come to find out the seat warmer pad had shorted out and burnt. I have the seat warmer pad that is charcoaled and burnt. I have contacted and spoke to GM representives 4 times informing them of the fire hazard all I get is this is an isolated incident, my vehicle has to many miles and I took it to a repair shop other than GM. This is a serious fire hazard and I think the public needs to be aware and GM needs to investigate.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Oct 062009

Tahoe

Speedometer randomly goes to a much higher speed that car is actually traveling. Used gps to verify car going 65 but speedometer registering 85. Radio and climate control panel on vehicle also gets very hot to the touch when this occurs. Speedometer will randomly reset and work fine for a while. This is an ongoing problem and started about 2 years ago.

- Cornelia, GA, USA

Aug 082009

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe. He stated while the vehicle was parked he noticed a fire in his fuse box that destroyed the wiring harness. The failure occurred under the hood under the left front fender. The vehicle is at the dealer being repair with a cost. He contacted the manufacture and they would get back with him within twenty four hours. The manufacturer has not contacted him. The failure mileage was 56,000. Bl updated 09/29/09

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Dec 152008

Tahoe

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe. Around 70K miles, my speedometer began acting up. It started off sticking at around 30 mph no matter how fast I really was going. Lately it will either not work at all, will stick at 30 mph, or has even began to climb to 120 mph while I was doing 30 mph according to a gps which I am forced to use to measure my speed because of no speedometer. The dealer quoted me $500. This is very bothersome and I know many people who are experiencing the same issue. Chevrolet acts as if we are at fault for this everytime I go in and complain. I have been pulled over 4 times because I was going over the speed limit by less than 10 mph. This could be avoided if I had a working speedometer.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jan 022009

Tahoe

The speedometer of my 2005 Chevy Tahoe no longer works. I have complained to the dealer, but they say they won't fix it because it is not currently being recalled.

- Lawrence, KS, USA