2007 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jun 212010

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 10V240000 (electrical system). The contact stated the remedy being offered was not an adequate repair and believed the manufacturer should be urged to provide a new remedy. The contact has not experienced any failures at this time and refused the recall repair. The current mileage was 51,000 miles.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Feb 012007

Tahoe

Tire service warning light on, crackling sounds through the audio speakers, rear door ajar warning light on, windshield wipers and water go on while driving, stereo comes on while driving when it's not even on. This happens intermittently. 3-way Chevrolet has attempted to identify the problem, most recently claiming it had to do with the alarm system which was replaced in 2010, but just yesterday 4/8/2010 while driving it made the crackling sounds through the stereo. It is an electrical issue which cannot be identified.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 152007

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. While traveling at a speed of 35 mph the contact press on the brake and the vehicle accelerated up to 40 mph. The contact pressed the break again and the vehicle immediately stopped. Contact experienced failure with several components such as the battery, all the power door locks lock it automatically sets the alarm off. When the contact places his left foot close to the break pedal and emergency brake the interior lights and chimes would come on. On another occasion while parked the vehicles air bag deployed with smoke coming from the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the control module was replaced after the second battery replacement and the air bag system has not been repaired. Dealer refuses to perform service until further notice from the manufacturer. The current mileage is 36,500 and failure mileages were 15,000. Updated 5/20/2010 updated 09/-7/10

- Mt Gilead, OH, USA

Jun 062009

Tahoe

We purchased a 2007 Chevy Z71 Tahoe on June 3 2007. A month after we got it the battery was dead. We charged it thinking that since we didn't drive it very much ( a vacation vehicle only) that the battery wasn't charged. About 6month later it was dead again. It was looked at the garage we purchased it from and they couldn't find anything. In December 2008 after the 4th time of a dead battery and trying to get a ride to work we had a new battery put in it. On June 9 2009 it was dead after 6 month on a new battery. I was going to leave it at the pittsburgh airport while we went on a trip but I can't cause I don't know if it will start when we get home and it 125 mile from where we live. I want something done the lemon L comes to mind. I have read so many forum on this with no idea how to fix it even the garage has no idea what is drawing the battery. I want some answer.

- Punxsutawney, PA, USA

Dec 012007

Tahoe

Repeated power failure. Battery died and had to be jump started on at least 4 occasions from 11-07 through 12-07 several other times tried to start and truck struggled. Had to turn off radio and lights then would start. Took to dealer (vista Chevrolet) on 12-17-07 and asked to have system tested.. instead they just replaced battery. Asked for system to be tested again July and August 08 (bob stall Chevrolet) and it was not done currently having battery problem again but now is out of warranty and GM will not pay for diagnosis even though issue was discovered under warranty. Some mornings truck will not start, other times it has been we sat parked for 10 minutes and then truck would not start. I feel there is a defect in our power system but GM and the dealers refuse to investigate unless I pay them for diagnosis.. I will be getting diagnosis from a part store before I pay for it. Even after diagnosis they claim no guarantee they will pay for any needed repairs even though issue was discovered under warranty.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Feb 022009

Tahoe

Continuation of same problem after eight (8) documented repairs by Chevrolet motor division. This last incident resulted in a non-0injury collision, where my vehicle sustained damage. See previous complaint: ODI 10253010 vehicle maintains and increases in acceleration with no application to the gas pedal. Chevrolet motor divisions attempts/"repairs": cropper's nogales in: 09/18/2008 30940 out: 09/25/2008 N/a -7 days replaced accelerator pedal - - - - - - - - - - people's Chevrolet in: 09/29/2008 31829 out: 09/30/2008 31838 -1 day replaced ECM & PCM/vcm reprogrammed ECM - - - - - - - - - - people's Chevrolet in: 10/03/2008 na out: 10/03/2008 na -1 day installed vehicle data recorder (vdr) in vehicle - - - - - - - - - - people's Chevrolet in: 12/13/2008 na out: 12/13/2008 na -1 day vdr contained four (4) data recordings of transmission data. Data was reviewed & forwarded to tech assistance - - - - - - - - - - people's Chevrolet in: 12/14/2008 na out: 12/14/2008 na -1 day vdr, reconfigured to record engine data and reinstalled in Tahoe - - - - - - - - - - people's Chevrolet in: 12/27/2008 36685 out: 12/27/2008 36685 -01 days people's Chevrolet unable to check safety concern on saturdays - - - - - - - - - - people's Chevrolet in: 12/29/2008 32267 out: 01/24/2009 36900 (75) -26 days replaced input speed sensor & 1-2 shift solenoid reconditioned input clutch housing assembly & R & R control valve body refaced front brake rotors - - - - - - - - - - people's Chevrolet in: 02/03/2009 37419 out: Pending -pending.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Sep 182008

Tahoe

Vehicle will accelerate and max out at fuel cut-off. Acceleration is unresponsive to brake application to include 100% application, resulting in smoke and odor. Vehicle cannot be stopped other than placing the vehicle into neutral and turning the ignition off. Upon restarting the vehicle, RPM will immediately climb to in excess of 5000 RPM. Acceleration problems normally occur at higher speeds but have occurred also on city streets. The problem then resets itself at its discretion. Cheverolet has been "working" on finding the problem since September, total in excess of 90 days. I was provided with a vehicle data recorder (vdr) to image the issue. Vdr has a cable plugged into vehicle computer the dangles between the gas/brake pedal and driver posing an additional hazard. Vehicle is an extreme safety hazard likely to result in great bodily injury and/or death. I am unable to and have been unable to enjoy and utilize the vehicle for the purposes to which it was intended for/purchased and have been placed in a severely risky position by Chevrolet. In addition, control of the vehicle in inclement weather has been compromised due to failure of the stabilitrac where it engages and disengages without application of the button. This issue has also been raised with Chevrolet but no codes were read due to the vehicle being turned off, causing a reset (per Chevrolet). However, when stabilitrac problem surfaced yet again, problem was witnessed by Chevrolet service rep but no work could be done due to an open ticket with GMC regarding the acceleration issue. Chevrolet has downloaded images/information from the vdr and has stated that there is/are issues and reset and returned the vdr to me requesting again that I take more images when my vehicle is stuck in acceleration and to be careful. Initial attempt for this repair in September noted "drivable concern." Problem is recurring from 0-9 incidents each day. I am concerned for the safety of others as well as myself.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Nov 102008

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact had the vehicle repaired according to NHTSA campaign id number 08V441000 (electrical system). The technician disconnected the fuse because the parts were unavailable. While driving approximately 45 mph, he noticed that the indicators on the instrument panel would sporadically flicker on and off. In addition, the contact smelled a burning odor. He took the vehicle to the dealer and it caught fire while parked. The vehicle was completely destroyed and the cause of the failure remains unknown. The failure and current mileages were 33,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 282008

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving less than 55 mph, the contact noticed sparks underneath the hood where the windshield wipers were housed. He was able to maneuver off the highway and heard a loud "whoof" sound as if something had ignited. He exited the vehicle and dialed 911. Flames appeared from the engine compartment and there was an explosion. The fire department and police arrived and stated that there was probably an electrical fire. A police report was filed. The contact is waiting to hear if the vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileages were 27,000.

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Jun 082008

Tahoe 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe. The vehicle had not been driven for 10 hours when a fire started under the hood and caused the front tire to explode. The entire front of the vehicle melted on the ground. The vehicle was approximately a foot from the house and as high as the two story house. After hearing the explosion, the contacts husband used a garden hose to keep the flames away from the house. An additional vehicle that belongs to the contact was damaged by the fire. There was also property damage to the siding and bricks on the house. The fire department extinguished the fire, filed a report, and stated that the cause was an electrical short. The insurance company towed the vehicle to General Motors to conduct an investigation. There were no injuries. The failure and current mileages were 9000.update 09/10/08 updated 09/17/08.

- Elkhart Lake, WI, USA

Sep 102007

Tahoe 8-cyl

Battery began to go dead. I would call road service to get it restarted. This has happened several times and *onstar was notified on most occasions of this happening.*onstar was notified due to the contract I have with them for roadside help. This has happened atleast seven times.(using *onstar for assistance on atleast three of these seven times) I have taken it back to the dealership for help with the problem. They replaced the battery. But the real problem is the car just up and shuts down while driving. This has happened twice(I told the dealer about it)and the thing, other than the safety factor, I'm afraid to drive the car. I travel and I really need a car. I can't afford a secondary vehicle. My family stated nor can you afford to die either!the chance of taken the life of another person, to me, far exceeds the fear I have of loosing my on life.

- Oak Ridge, NC, USA

May 082008

Tahoe 8-cyl

2007 Tahoe went up in flames while parked, still do not know the cause.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Dec 312007

Tahoe

Vehicle caught fire while parked in owner's garage, damaged vehicle and garage. Fire burned within left side of engine compartment.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Jun 012006

Tahoe 8-cyl

After only one month of purchase auto start feature does not work unless you were 3 feet away. The vehicle once sat over night would make a really loud clattering sound when you would turn on the engine. I took the car into the dealer and told them about the problems the dealer indicated that they had to reprogram the software in the Tahoe to reprogram auto start. The next morning I was called and informed that they were unable to reproduce the clattering sound and that nothing wrong was detected with the vehicle so that it was ready for pick up. Everything was O.K. for about a couple of months. Auto start wasn't working again. At my third service visit to the dealer I noticed the tires were starting to get wasted towards the inside. The vehicle only had about 5,000 miles on it at the time. When the dealer was informed he indicated that the tires needed to be rotated. After about three tire rotations I noticed the tires getting warn out pretty badly on the inside. He indicated that the problem could be that it needs a front end allingnment only after the vehicle having less than 12,000 miles. The front end alignment was done on the vehicle.to this day that the tires are wasted more on the insides than the outsides.this last month we have had a problem again with the loud clattering sound in the engine when we start the vehicle.it has gotten alot worse I took it into the dealer and they said that they were aware of the problem and that it appears to be oil build up in the air compressor that when it sits for more thatn 3 hours it apparently makes this loud sound when you start the engine. He indicated that Chevy is looking into the problem and to this day has not done anything about the problem.I was furious when they refused to do anything about a problem that Chevy well knows is a manufacturer defect.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Aug 282006

Tahoe 4WD

Vehicle will not hold programs, I.e., automatic seat positions, read out on the message center, etc. Also, if using the radio without the engine running, battery goes completely dead in about 30 min. Dealer could find nothing wrong after three hours of inspections, even though the battery drained.

- Dugway, UT, USA

Nov 302006

Tahoe 8-cyl

We took our vehicle to the dealer for a 3rd time now (look for my other complaint on this website on electrical problems/windshield problems) for the same problem plus a number of multiple other problems. The problem that the dealer can't seem to remedy is the windshield wipers and wiper spray keep coming on all by themselves and cannot be turned off unless you turn the vehicle off and then restart it. They've replaced the windshield wiper module but they still come on randomly. The heated seats sometimes don't work and in order to get them to work you must restart the car. The front passenger window will randomly not roll up or down from the drivers side master switch and will only start working after restarting the vehicle. When I took my car to get serviced (oil change) the mechanic noticed several leaks under the vehicle, one coming from the engine bell housing another from the rack and pinion area and the third from the power steering pump housing area. When we took it to the dealer they cleaned the engine pan (I have before pictures) and added an engine dye and they stated they found no leaks, we'll check it again after a few hundred miles. They also cleaned up the other leaks from the other areas and claimed no leaks. Our mechanic also noticed while rotating the tires that the front right rotors were deeply grooved which answers my question as to why my brakes have been squeaking. He says that with only 10,000 miles it is not normal for them to be grooved, and is definitely a defect with the calipers probably sticking. Showed the dealer and the service writer stated it was normal, that cannot be normal. So now they resurfaced the rotor and the brakes are still squeaking. After bringing my vehicle home from the dealer for repairs the car locked "itself" I did not lock it, the car keys were not even in my hands anymore they were hanging on the key rack. There are definitely some major electrical problems and mechanical problems with this vehicle.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Mar 262006

Tahoe

The heater fan does not run when I automatically start the vehicle with my remote starter/keyfob. What good is it to start your vehicle to warm it up if the fan doesn't start up to defrost your windshield? the GM remote starter was installed and programmed by the dealer after purchase. When it was checked, the fan ran and then didn't. I got it to run only if I am 3 feet away and start the vehicle (or sitting in it) too funny, I guess at that point I may as well use the key!@

- Cape Neddick, ME, USA

Aug 102006

Tahoe 8-cyl

The gauge cluster panel is shrouded which makes it hard to see the gauges during the late day hours or dim light days because the gauges are not illuminated. They only illuminate when the headlights turn on automatically (or if you turn them on). I think the headlight sensor is mis-programmed, because it seems to routinely activate too late, but on one occasion it activated when it was just getting dim, weird. The running lights only illuminate the front running lights, not rear tail lights, making it dangerous under dim lit conditions. Also the speedometer is not centered in the shrouded panel because they made it symmetrical with a matching tachometer (RPM) gauge. Who really cares about a tachometer on an automatic vehicle? I want to see the speed that I am traveling. Also, if you tilt the steering wheel up at one set point you cant even see the gauges depending on how tall you are.

- Cape Neddick, ME, USA

Sep 082006

Tahoe 8-cyl

Our first incident occurred 2 weeks after we purchased our 2007 Tahoe ltz on March 17,2006 the heated seats didn't work unless we restarted the vehicle this happened twice and never again so we thought it was a fluke. Second malfunction/incident was. I started the vehicle and the windshield wipers came on by themselves and I could not shut them off until I restarted the vehicle. The third incident was the same as the second...this time I was driving on the fwy and the wipers and wiper fluid came on again, I could not shut them off until I exited the fwy and restarted the vehicle. We took it to the dealer Aug 23, 2006 and explained all the malfunctions that had occurred thus far they could not find nor duplicate the heated seat problem but they did find that the windshield wiper module needed to be replaced, so they ordered it. Forward to today Sept 8, 2006 I was again driving on the fwy when my xm radio went out completely I thought it was just a problem with the satellite so as soon as I exited the fwy I restarted the vehicle but this time all of the instrument panel, radio and onstar services were completely dead! no service at all! I called the dealer and they want me to take it in so that they can check it out yet again, and install the wiper module we were waiting on. This is just ridiculous, being that we did not pay chump change for this Tahoe for that kind of money it should be a very reliable vehicle! I am not going to be having to take a $50,000 vehicle to the shop every other month for malfunctions...what a complete inconvenience this is!! and from what I see this is definitely not the first incident of this kind. I see people are having similar computer malfunctions as well!

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Aug 182006

Tahoe 8-cyl

: the contact stated while driving at various speeds, the stability track control and ABS light illuminated during each incident. The radio went off suddenly and the back up camera blacked out suddenly without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealership three times but could not duplicate the problems. Each occasion after the vehicle was restarted, the dashboard lights were no longer illuminated and all electrical units operated normally.

- North Augusta, SC, USA