7.8

1. top off oil every 1,000 miles (17 reports)
  3. oil pan modification (1 reports)
  4. replace pistons and rings (1 reports)
  5. top off oil every 1,500 - 2,000 miles (1 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012014

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

Hit 100,000 miles and seems like everything is starting to collapse and now this oil consumption issue is evident. No leaks on the floor, not burning oil, no clue where it has gone.

- , Locust, NC, USA

Jan 022012

Tahoe LTZ

2007 Tahoe...THERE NEEDS TO BE A LAWSUIT. Chevy knows about the problem of consumption of too much oil and they do NOTHING about it...something needs to be done about this!!!!!!

Update from Mar 19, 2014: I'm having to add oil into my 2007 Chevy Tahoe @ 1,500 - 2,000 miles from an oil change. RIDICULOUS...It's a 50K SUV...I should not have to deal with the extreme oil consumption all the time. CHEVY KNOWS ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING NUMBERS OF COMPLAINTS AND THEY DO NOTHING ABOUT IT TO KEEP THEIR CUSTOMERS HAPPY...PLEASE HELP!

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Dec 172013

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

My husband and I purchased a 2007 Tahoe in May 2013 with 45,000miles. Had the dealership change the oil in June and in August after only 2500 miles the low oil light came on. We figured the dealership shorted us a quart and added one. About a month and a half later,we changed the oil ourselves ( which my husband has always done and he didnt want to bring it back thinking the dealership shorted us oil) and 2 months later (Oct) the oil light came on again saying we were low. My husband has me add a quart.

Another 2 months and oil light came on again, so into the dealership we went. They gave me a printout telling me that a quart every 2000 miles is standard use and gave me a sheet to monitor the oil use, they checked the oil and sent me on my way. Not even 4 weeks later and the light was on again, this time down 2 quarts. The truck is now at the dealership and I'm waiting to hear what they say about it.. Very irritating when I still have $20,000 to pay on this truck!

- , West Yarmouth, MA, USA

Apr 202014

Tahoe LT 5.3L

SAME TIME SAME PLACE THEY KNOW WHAT IT IS CHEVY TAHOE USING OIL WTF REALLY THEY NEED TO FIX THIS 40 G CAR REALLY

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 022013

Tahoe LS V8

I have an 07 Tahoe with 57,000 miles and it is using about 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. I went to the dealer for an oil change and voiced my concerns and they said they were aware of it. I can do an oil pan modification for about $400 and if that does not work I have to change my pistons which is about $3000. If Chevy is aware of this then it is a design flaw and they should pick up the cost, it's nothing that I did, all my services were done by the dealer and they have all my records. I just can't understand why a well maintained vehicle should be using sooooo much oil.

- , Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jun 012012

Tahoe LS 5.3L

Owned my Tahoe for about 5 yrs with about 64500 miles on it. Bought an extended warranty on it and it is almost expired. I noticed lately my oil light came on when it was about 35% oil life left. After checking the oil it was about 1 1/2 qt low. I read a few on-line threads regarding others having the same issued. Anyone have the answer to this problem or aware if GM doing anything about it?

- , Riverbank, CA, USA

Jun 282013

Tahoe LT 5.2L V8

I Bought this car a year ago and have had the dealership change the oil every 3,000 miles. Recently, the add oil light came on. I was aware I was about 500 miles over but there should be know way it would be out of oil. Checked the dipstick and there was no oil in it. It was about a quart and a half low. I thought maybe the dealership didn't fill it up all the way. So I changed the oil my self. Which I have done a lot on my past cars. Filled it up and made sure I put enough in. 3000 miles later quart and a half low. Goes to find out my 2007 Tahoe with 115,302 miles on it is burning oil. So I checked and I have been told by a few mechanics that they have seen this problem a lot. My friend evidently just had his whole motor replaced by Chevy because they couldn't figure out why. ( 6 months ago, his can was still under warranty). Chevy you dropped the ball, and it is still rolling around.

- , Lexington, NC, USA

Sep 072012

Tahoe LTZ 5.3V8

Engine has been burning excessive oil for some time, low oil light would come on periodically. Needed a quart or so between oil changes, then two or three, four. Brought in to dealership, said they would need it for a couple of days for a valve cover and deflector? Got back two days later to find pistons, rods and rings were replaced @ no charge. No complaints by dealership - seems odd.... only 56,000 miles, well maintained. Driven mostly by my wife, who drives like an old lady ;} I Would have freaked out if it cost a cent, as it would have been a fortune. No explanation by dealership.

- , Negaunee, MI, USA

Oct 062012

Tahoe LT 5.3L

I bought this 2007 Tahoe LT in June 2012 and have put 2,000 miles on it since then and had to add 1qrt of oil every 1,000 miles.... It doesn't smoke or leak oil anywhere! I have been reading that this is a MAJOR problem with these 5.3L engines? What can I do to get this problem fixed? Is there a recall on this? I really like this Tahoe but to keep adding oil to this thing is a bit extreme and expensive! I have 122,000 miles on it......

- , Leicester, NC, USA

May 032011

Tahoe Z71 LTZ 5.3L Flex Fluel

I change my oil every 3000 miles with Mobile One 5w30 and It uses At least a quart every 1,000 miles. That is until one of the lifter spun and wore out the cam shaft and ruined my motor. I bought a used engine for $2600 with 60,000 miles on it. Lets see how this one does.

- , Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jan 242013

Tahoe

Seriously! Love the tahoe but adding oil every couple weeks is getting old and quick! I cannot afford this!

- , York, PA, USA

Mar 122013

Tahoe LT 5.3L

I always thought it strange that when I would change the oil (every 3K to 4K miles) that it would be a quart low. But the low oil message would never come on. That is until recently. Now it seems that every 1000 miles I have to add oil. And, I changed the oil less than two weeks ago (yes I put six quarts in) and already have a low oil light. Checked on the dipstick and it was indeed a quart low. That is less than 200 miles. There is no sign of blue smoke, oil leaks on the garage floor or rough running of the engine. What there is a sign of is an unhappy and long time Chevy customer.

- , Edgewood, WA, USA

Dec 032012

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

Bought a 2007 Tahoe LTZ In December 2012. The truck immediately showed signs of disappearing oil. The add oil light would come on after about 1000 miles and we would have to add a quart oil. Could see no oil leaks. Found a TSB from Chevy about excessive oil consumption. Seems there is a valve cover upgrade and then the engine has to come apart to add an AFM shield and replace piston oil rings. We bought this truck as a family vehicle. We loved the entertainment system and the tons of creature comforts but an engine burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles is bad juju. Westgate Jeep in Raleigh, NC sold us the used 2007 Tahoe and they replaced the pistons and oil rings under their warranty after we caught them skewing the results of an oil consumption test. They overfilled the oil past the part numbers on the dipstick! The new rings and AFM shield may have sorted the issue but two weeks and 200 miles later the engine died a knocking loud painful death.

My wife and I had a 2001 Tahoe we loved to death. 180,000 miles and didn't use a drop of oil. The 2007 model only had 101,000 and burned a quart of oil every 1000 miles. The dealership is buying the 2007 Tahoe back and we are shopping for another Tahoe but not a 2007 model. Looks like lots of complaints over the 2007 5.3L motor among Chevy and GMC. We were so pleased with our 2001 Tahoe we did very little research when we purchased the 2007. Whew, we'll be better informed this next purchase. Anyone buying a 2007 Chevy Tahoe needs to be aware there are problems with this engine.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

May 012011

Tahoe LX 5.3L

I complained to the dealer about excessive oil consumption and they said if it was less that a quart in 2000 miles, then there's nothing they can do. Next visit, I complained about misfire and they found oil fouled plug(s). They "repaired" (and I use that term lightly) under warranty & service bulletin #10-06-01-0008E in June 2012.

About a month ago, my low oil notification came on at about 2700 mi after last oil change. I added a quart. About 1200-1300 miles later the low oil notification came on again. So much for the "repair". They probably overfilled the oil to prevent the low oil situation from occurring before 2000 miles. My next step is to confront the dealer service to take the next step indicated in the bulletin. That is to replace pistons & rings.

This vehicle has 89000 miles of mostly highway driving. Oil was changed every 3000 +/- mi by the dealer.

- , Walnutport, PA, USA

Jan 192013

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L

I recently purchased a 2007 Tahoe with 162k miles on it. The vehicle is in great working condition and I am very satisfied other than realizing I am burning a significant amount of oil. It seems as though I am burning about 1qt every 1k miles, I'm sorry but that is not normal. Apparently many others have noticed this issue. I understand I have higher mileage, but this has probably been an issue for this vehicle's life and nothing was done to fix it. 3-4 quarts per oil change is a lot of oil and waste of money for that matter. I'm hoping others chime in about their success stories.

- , Nashotah, WI, USA

Nov 012012

Tahoe LT

I have a 2007 Tahoe LT with 111,000 miles. I have serviced the car every 3,000 miles since buying it brand new (this is before the recommended oil change). This past month I let the car go longer due to out of town travel etc. The add oil light came on. I took the car to my local mechanic. He too has a 2007 Tahoe. He told me his car had the same issue, he took it to the local Chevy dealer several times before they admitted there was a problem with the design of the Piston Ring on the 2007 Chevy Tahoe. His Tahoe was fixed free of charge by the dealer. He sent me to the same dealer. GM now has a financial formula for dealing with this problem. It is called the minimum participation calculator. The total cost of the repair (which is a GM defect!) is $3,100.19. The calculator says that I should participate at 55% or $1,705.10 for their design flaw. I told the dealer NO WAY!! and I asked for a name and number at GM....suddenly my portion went down to $850 out of pocket, NO WAY!! I called GM and spoke to an man from India about the issue. I am now waiting on a return call. Bottom line here is that GM knows they have a problem. They know this is a HUGE problem with the design of the Piston Ring and the Piston. I have been a loyal GM customer for my entire driving life....this one is going to make me change if they do not DO THE RIGHT THING!!! Too many people are suffering with this problem and GM needs to take care of this problem...

- , Cornelia, GA, USA

Jan 052012

Tahoe LT 5.3V8

before each oil change at 4,000 miles my Oil low indicator comes on

- , Lexinigton, KY, USA

May 312012

Tahoe LTZ

I bought my car used with 88000 miles in May ...Started out with every 2000 miles I would need to add oil. Then about 1500 in about july now its progressing to about every 500 miles I will need to add a little under a quart. Its extremely annoying as I just bought this car this year 2012. Now it has engine problems and this particular problem is VERY common in Tahoes. Its a shame GM wont recall this. However I plan to exhaust every level of management up to the President of GM or Chevy. There's absolutely no reason why someone should have to pay out of pocket for repairs due to issues that were present during assembly of the car. This is a major defect and I will not pay for GM's mistake.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 052011

Tahoe LT

I just started having this problem a couple of months ago. I am about to take it to the dealer for a oil change and tire rotation. I am curious as to what he says the problem is and more importantly, how to fix it. I should not have to take 6 quarts of oil with me every time my family and I go out of town. We keep this Tahoe serviced on a regular basis, so I am very concerned about this issue. I would say I would trade it in for a Ford product, but I have a 2010 F-150 with transmission problems. So much for buying American made automobiles!

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

Dec 012010

Tahoe LT

My 2007 Chevy Tahoe burns up tons of oil and I have needed to purchase cases of oil to replenish. I have 103,775 miles so now we are starting the oil test.

- , San Marcos, CA, USA