7.9

1. top off oil every 1,000 miles (19 reports)
  3. replace pistons and rings (3 reports)
  4. top off oil every 1,500 - 2,000 miles (2 reports)
  5. oil pan modification (1 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 012013

Tahoe

Purchased my 2007 Chevy Tahoe brand new and around 90,000 mile began to notice excessive oil consumption. It’s not leaking on the ground or visibly burning out the tail pipe. Took it to the Chevy dealer and was told the engine needed to be rebuilt at my cost. Later found out that Chevy new about the engine problem and has failed to fix the issue. My vehicle is approaching 200,000 in excellent condition, but I have to buy cases of oil putting in a quart a week. Need an attorney to file a class action suit against Chevy.

I also have been getting cuts on my fingers as a result of the poor design on the interior door handles. They are currently covered in duct tape to prevent further injuries.

- , Sorrento, FL, USA

Jan 312015

Tahoe LT 5.3L

Bought Tahoe used in Dec of 14. Since the weather has gotten warmer we go to the lake every weekend 250 miles round trip. Two trips = 1quart of oil insane!!! I have had very many personal autos 40/50 and have never had one burn oil. Some of them were real POS, but not oil burners.

The Tahoe is supposed to be a luxury vehicle and it really looks nice with a jug of oil in the rear floorboard! Unacceptable problem. I bought new Chevys every year since 2001. This is the first I've bought used since I' m at retirement age I couldn't justify 80k for a new one. We travel every weekend in this vehicle, and now I don't trust it to perform as it should I'm sure with 132k on it now the dealer will do nothing. So sad GM ending up this way.

- , Independence, MO, USA

Jan 012015

Tahoe LT 5.7L

Continuing to have to add oil is a pain. Seems like since they know there's a problem that they would own up and fix the issue. Purchased my Tahoe brand new loved it and would likely buy another accept for this issue.

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Nov 092014

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

I have a 2007 Tahoe that I bought back in October of 2010 with 54000 miles on it. In November of 2014 I notice that the oil was a quart low when I went to change it. This all started after the vehicle got over 100000 miles on it. Every 1500 to 2000 miles I have to add oil to it.

I checked the forums and found that there is a known piston ring problem with the 2007 Tahoe that GM knows about but won't fix. I have also heard that some dealers want to charge over $3000 to fix it. I feel GM needs to step up and fix this problem because it is a result of a poor design. I have worked in the electronic controls engineering trade for almost 15 years now and whenever we see something that is a bad design the first thing we do is try to correct it ASAP.

Something needs to be done about this. I had a 2003 Yukon before I bought this Tahoe and I put over 120000 miles on it and it never used a drop of oil. New car designs are supposed to improve things not regress them.

- , Huber Heights, OH, USA

Feb 162015

Tahoe Vortec

A month after oil change this vehicle needs 2 quarts of oil! Dealer said it needs pistons and rings and that its a shame. GM isn't doing anything to fix it because it's out of warranty. So I asked what he recommended and he said just keep driving it. I am crushed. I really believed in GM. I think I'm gonna trade the truck in and get a Ford.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 232013

Tahoe LS 5.3L V8

I am sick of this bull crap! The truck is a piece of crap! Problems since day one, now with this excessive oil consumption the car is doing I'm just sick. The money I spent on this is just not worth it. Anyways, back to the excessive oil consumption, every 2,000-3,000 miles the engine oil is low so I add oil. It is annoying because I just got it an oil change. I'm taking it back to the dealership, so they can buy this thing back I seriously want to drive this thing off a cliff, it is so freaking annoying! The dealership needs to hurry and buy this thing back.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 012001

Tahoe LX 5.8L

Have a problem with the oil consumption. After 1500 miles the oil is gone. There are no oil leaks. Contacted Chevrolet and they directed me to a local dealer where they began an oil consumption test. After the test was done, they concluded that the pistons had to be replaced, which meant the motor having to be taken a part and rebuilt. The dealership had the vehicle for a month correcting the problem. However the problem still exists and multiple oil consumption test have been given with no other alternative to correct the problem. The oil has been changed to a higher grade oil, which is more expensive. This also has not corrected the problem. I have done research and have found multiple owners with the same problem and they also have not found a solution other than trading the vehicle in for another vehicle.

- , Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 092014

• 13,490,900 miles

This SUV is our extra vehicle for driving on the weekend or when the entire family is going out. Our truck has been running fine but we started hearing a knocking noise when driving and idle on Friday, October 10th. I took the car to the dealership on October 11th and was told I will need a new engine. I took the truck for a second opinion on October 13th and was told the truck was 2 quarts low in oil and the noise is coming from the bottom of the engine. We have not had any oil leaks or major issues prior to Friday, October 10th. Now we are faced with purchasing another engine.

- , Fairburn, FA, USA

Jun 012014

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

Hit 100,000 miles and seems like everything is starting to collapse and now this oil consumption issue is evident. No leaks on the floor, not burning oil, no clue where it has gone.

- , Locust, NC, USA

Jan 022012

Tahoe LTZ

2007 Tahoe...THERE NEEDS TO BE A LAWSUIT. Chevy knows about the problem of consumption of too much oil and they do NOTHING about it...something needs to be done about this!!!!!!

Update from Mar 19, 2014: I'm having to add oil into my 2007 Chevy Tahoe @ 1,500 - 2,000 miles from an oil change. RIDICULOUS...It's a 50K SUV...I should not have to deal with the extreme oil consumption all the time. CHEVY KNOWS ABOUT THE OUTSTANDING NUMBERS OF COMPLAINTS AND THEY DO NOTHING ABOUT IT TO KEEP THEIR CUSTOMERS HAPPY...PLEASE HELP!

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Dec 172013

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

My husband and I purchased a 2007 Tahoe in May 2013 with 45,000miles. Had the dealership change the oil in June and in August after only 2500 miles the low oil light came on. We figured the dealership shorted us a quart and added one. About a month and a half later,we changed the oil ourselves ( which my husband has always done and he didnt want to bring it back thinking the dealership shorted us oil) and 2 months later (Oct) the oil light came on again saying we were low. My husband has me add a quart.

Another 2 months and oil light came on again, so into the dealership we went. They gave me a printout telling me that a quart every 2000 miles is standard use and gave me a sheet to monitor the oil use, they checked the oil and sent me on my way. Not even 4 weeks later and the light was on again, this time down 2 quarts. The truck is now at the dealership and I'm waiting to hear what they say about it.. Very irritating when I still have $20,000 to pay on this truck!

- , West Yarmouth, MA, USA

Apr 202014

Tahoe LT 5.3L

SAME TIME SAME PLACE THEY KNOW WHAT IT IS CHEVY TAHOE USING OIL WTF REALLY THEY NEED TO FIX THIS 40 G CAR REALLY

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 022013

Tahoe LS V8

I have an 07 Tahoe with 57,000 miles and it is using about 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. I went to the dealer for an oil change and voiced my concerns and they said they were aware of it. I can do an oil pan modification for about $400 and if that does not work I have to change my pistons which is about $3000. If Chevy is aware of this then it is a design flaw and they should pick up the cost, it's nothing that I did, all my services were done by the dealer and they have all my records. I just can't understand why a well maintained vehicle should be using sooooo much oil.

- , Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jun 012012

Tahoe LS 5.3L

Owned my Tahoe for about 5 yrs with about 64500 miles on it. Bought an extended warranty on it and it is almost expired. I noticed lately my oil light came on when it was about 35% oil life left. After checking the oil it was about 1 1/2 qt low. I read a few on-line threads regarding others having the same issued. Anyone have the answer to this problem or aware if GM doing anything about it?

- , Riverbank, CA, USA

Jun 282013

Tahoe LT 5.2L V8

I Bought this car a year ago and have had the dealership change the oil every 3,000 miles. Recently, the add oil light came on. I was aware I was about 500 miles over but there should be know way it would be out of oil. Checked the dipstick and there was no oil in it. It was about a quart and a half low. I thought maybe the dealership didn't fill it up all the way. So I changed the oil my self. Which I have done a lot on my past cars. Filled it up and made sure I put enough in. 3000 miles later quart and a half low. Goes to find out my 2007 Tahoe with 115,302 miles on it is burning oil. So I checked and I have been told by a few mechanics that they have seen this problem a lot. My friend evidently just had his whole motor replaced by Chevy because they couldn't figure out why. ( 6 months ago, his can was still under warranty). Chevy you dropped the ball, and it is still rolling around.

- , Lexington, NC, USA

Sep 072012

Tahoe LTZ 5.3V8

Engine has been burning excessive oil for some time, low oil light would come on periodically. Needed a quart or so between oil changes, then two or three, four. Brought in to dealership, said they would need it for a couple of days for a valve cover and deflector? Got back two days later to find pistons, rods and rings were replaced @ no charge. No complaints by dealership - seems odd.... only 56,000 miles, well maintained. Driven mostly by my wife, who drives like an old lady ;} I Would have freaked out if it cost a cent, as it would have been a fortune. No explanation by dealership.

- , Negaunee, MI, USA

Oct 062012

Tahoe LT 5.3L

I bought this 2007 Tahoe LT in June 2012 and have put 2,000 miles on it since then and had to add 1qrt of oil every 1,000 miles.... It doesn't smoke or leak oil anywhere! I have been reading that this is a MAJOR problem with these 5.3L engines? What can I do to get this problem fixed? Is there a recall on this? I really like this Tahoe but to keep adding oil to this thing is a bit extreme and expensive! I have 122,000 miles on it......

- , Leicester, NC, USA

May 032011

Tahoe Z71 LTZ 5.3L Flex Fluel

I change my oil every 3000 miles with Mobile One 5w30 and It uses At least a quart every 1,000 miles. That is until one of the lifter spun and wore out the cam shaft and ruined my motor. I bought a used engine for $2600 with 60,000 miles on it. Lets see how this one does.

- , Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jan 242013

Tahoe

Seriously! Love the tahoe but adding oil every couple weeks is getting old and quick! I cannot afford this!

- , York, PA, USA

Mar 122013

Tahoe LT 5.3L

I always thought it strange that when I would change the oil (every 3K to 4K miles) that it would be a quart low. But the low oil message would never come on. That is until recently. Now it seems that every 1000 miles I have to add oil. And, I changed the oil less than two weeks ago (yes I put six quarts in) and already have a low oil light. Checked on the dipstick and it was indeed a quart low. That is less than 200 miles. There is no sign of blue smoke, oil leaks on the garage floor or rough running of the engine. What there is a sign of is an unhappy and long time Chevy customer.

- , Edgewood, WA, USA