2008 Chevrolet Tahoe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

May 122016

Complain to dealer prior to GM warranty expiration and extended warranty expiration but now that warranty expired willing to investigate. Constant P0300 random misfire detected on cylinder 5. misfires over 20 times within 60 seconds via GM fast test (launch software version V44.30) happen at idle or in motion leveling / suspension / stability system constantly alert during motion. Also have crack on dash that leads to passenger airbag. If remote start is used loud grinding can be herd after idle for approximately 8 minutes or sooner.

- Marion, SC, USA

Oct 302013

The truck was having dry start ups winter or summer..could hear the lifters tapping really hard until oil hits it, ,lifters collasped on right side now the left is doing the same and warranty wont fix..also the leveling pump keeps going out and this it rhe second one in two years that had to be replaced..also the driver mirror will not role in so when I park noone wont hit it..also dash is craxk over the passenger side and driver side air bags..also the transmission is slipping into second gear and it rumbles inside when it drops to 4 cylinder..

- Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 052015

I purchased this car with 69K on the dash by the time I got to 80K I started having problems with misfires upon further inspection I found out my engine lifters went out while driving on the highway in the vehicle went into limp mode. I called GM they offered no repair assistance and aknowledged this was a common problem. However they havent released a recall to help or reimburse the many people that have had this problem.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 052015

I bought my 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe brand new. People laugh at me because I've always dealt with the dealership on everything including all oil changes. Now I'm being told that I have lifter and cam problems. I complained about the engine light being on 5 months prior to be told this. I was informed that the check engine light was on because of the tps sticking. I'm a single mother of 2. I purchased a new vehicle not to have these kind of problems especially since I've always taken my truck to the dealership. I cant afford a new engine, my truck is parked and I have to get rides to work from co-workers. I cant sleep nor work.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 112012

While traveling out of town stabilitrac disabled engine power reduced on the highway. I had to pull over to the shoulder since speed was reduced. I had to turn off vehicle for a few minutes to let the ECM reset the fault. I distracted driver rearended the vehicle when I was stranded with my family inside the vehicle.

- Laredo , TX, USA

Mar 272015

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving at 5 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,900.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Jul 302014

Tahoe 8-cyl

We had this same recurring problem with this Tahoe for the last 10K miles. Sometimes when driving at higher speed or just idling, it will display a "reduced engine power" and you will loose all power. Engine is still running and lights and radio will work, but you get no power when pressing the gas. Its scary because it happens so suddenly with out any warning. We have spend a couple of thousand dollars trying to trouble shoot this but it hasn't been solved..

- Topanga , CA, USA

Mar 112014

Tahoe 8-cyl

While driving vehicle completely stalls no electrical not even hazard lights. I was driving and radio started to static and then car stalled was not able to turn on hazards making it very dangerous as other vehicles were not able to see that I was stalled and got very close to hitting my truck had to call for help as I was sitting in intersection had no way of telling them I was unable to move had to open my doors to call attention to drivers. A day before I noticed that problem began when I parked vehicle and ignition key turned off all electricity will quickly shut off including radio. When at a normal time radio would stay on until door opened. This incident has happen to me 3 times already. I have had full body throttle replaced, battery and ground cables replaced and still not fixed vehicle also shakes alot at times when stopped at intersection.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

May 312013

Tahoe 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the vehicle caught on fire. The vehicle was parked in a residential garage when the fire started. The contact stated that the vehicle had been sitting for 6 hours prior to the fire. The fire and police departments were contacted and responded to the fire. The fire department stated that the hottest part of the fire was on the driver's side between the engine and dashboard. The vehicle was not inspected. The failure and the current mileage was unknown.

- Helotes, TX, USA

Jan 112013

Tahoe 8-cyl

First problem was the vehicle would not crank. The vehicle had to be jumped off and then it cranked quickly. While driving the vehicle, the window control, speakers and heater would go in/ out of operation. The speakers in all four doors would go out then come back on at different times. Sometimes they would work all at once, other times one, two or even three may come on and off. The heater would come on blowing some times then cuts off again and again. The heater blower would also blow at one speed then blow at another speed without anyone changing the settings. The window controls will make the heater blow stronger, then when the window control is released it will cut the heater off. The rear passenger window controls will not work at all. The rear passengers also can not get out of the vehicle. The vehicle has to be open from the outside for individuals sitting in the second row seats. The only control that will work the rear passenger windows is the driver side control. The vehicle also has a light smoke smell coming from the vents. The passenger side door in the front will open for the passenger sometimes then at other times someone will have to open the door from the outside. The vehicle will not crank back up after been cut off, it always has to be jumped off. The battery is drained everytime the vehicle is sitting down and not being operated. The vehicle was taken to the dealership numerous times without being fixed. GM corporation was called and I was informed a recall was on some vehicles but not others. I was told that my vehicle was not listed as one thou. The dealership checked my vehicle and informed me that my vehicle didn't have any issues but then on a second request they informed me that my vehicle had a bad battery and was having firing trouble. They also informed me that I was not covered by my warranty.

- Sparta, GA, USA

Sep 202012

Tahoe 8-cyl

Heard a ticking sound coming from engine, sounded like an exhaust leak. Took in for inspection was advised that there was a broken bolt on exhaust manifold in the rear. Was advised it was not covered under warranty or extended warranty as it fell under "exhaust" and "fastener" components that are not covered. After searching the internet, I have found that this is a very common issue. This is a fire hazard and will cause me to fail emissions when I am due, which also violates the epa laws. I live in Arizona where we do not have weather conditions that lead to rust issues. How can this be possible with such a large problem??

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 102011

Tahoe 8-cyl

Check engine light began flashing, check stabilitrak light came on, engine sputtered. This was first of 4 incidents from oil consumption issue GM has with this engine. They didn't recall the engine, but had a protocol - a series of bandaids that shops used to repair or prolong. Ultimate step is engine rebuild/replacement, which GM did under warranty for those "in the know." My dealership in small town hamilton, oh, rose Chevrolet, was dropped by GM and is now independent. Neither rose or GM informed me of this ongoing problem. After spending more than $9-- out of my own pocket, the car now needs pistons and rings, for another $3000. Again, GM knew of this issue and didn't inform me of it. Had I know about it, and the magnitude, I would have insisted on repair or replacement while under warranty. I'm a sales rep and drive a lot. The car now has 146,000 miles and I have a case number with GM. They should pay for the repair, reimburse me for my out of pocket and/or repurchase the vehicle from me.

- Hamilton, OH, USA