2001 Chevrolet Tracker steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Tracker:

2001 Chevrolet Tracker Owner Comments

Nov 122013

Tracker 4-cyl

2001 Chevy Tracker with rusted front cross member. The cross member rusted and broke leaving the lower a arm disconnect from the frame on one end. This causes an uncontrollable shake and totally out of control. This is extremely dangerous, especially at highway speeds. I contacted a Chevy dealer and also General Motors and was told that there is nothing that can be done because the special coverage offer had expired. The special coverage was for 10 years or 150,000 miles. My Tracker has 59,450 miles but was rejected because of a time limit. I was never sent a notice because I was not the original owner and didn't buy it from a GM dealer. GM could have queried each state's registration databases for ownership. I was told by GM that I could have brought it in and had it inspected. How would I have known to bring it in for inspection if I am unaware that a potential structural problem exist. This is a structural item that should outlast the drive line and body... to limit it by time or mileage is absurd and shrugging responsibility. The very last thing that should fail is the structure. I argued that it is a factory defect and should have no time limit because it is a structural item which when failed could cause an accident and possible death and property damage. And I feel that the factory should be liable for the entire life of the vehicle. If it is otherwise road worthy and meets state inspection then the special coverage should apply. It is the factory's responsibility to provide safe vehicles. With a computer model, knowing the grade of steel, the thickness of the steel one can calculate the approximate time it would take to rust through. This is why there should be no time limit for responsibility.

- Skowhegan, ME, USA

Jan 222008

Tracker 4WD 4-cyl

The paint on my 2001 Chevy Tracker is forming white spots on the roof of the car. Is this a paint defect? I wax my car four times a year and wash it weekly, so poor care for the vehicle isn't a problem. When I turn on the A/C, it sounds like someone's clicking a computer mouse at a 100mph. It drives me nuts. When my car is idling after startup, it makes a clunking noise. While driving my car recently on the highway, it was very hard to control and I was only going 70mph. Sometimes the steering wheel never turns back either, while parking. My car is a 2001 Chevy Tracker with only 54,700 miles on it. I am thinking about writing a letter to GM to have all my problems resolved at no cost to me.

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Aug 252006

Tracker 4WD 6-cyl

When braking, car veered to the left while the steering wheel rotated clockwise as for a right-hand turn. I called Mr. Downer Oct.16, front cross member was replaced.cnl

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 012002

Tracker 4WD 6-cyl

Nar 02/28/2003 mr defective steering system.

- Waite Park, MN, USA

Jun 012001

Consumer states vehicle is making a rattling noise. Appears to be coming from steering wheel. Vehicle also vibrating excessively while driving affecting control. Checked by dealer who could not determine problem.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA