Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Trailblazer emerged from an "upscale trim line" of the Blazer, but there's nothing upscale about its transmission problems or its wonky, unpredictable headlights.

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While operating the vehicle, all the exterior lights randomly shut on and off. While driving at various speeds, the transmission would suddenly switch to first gear and caused the speed to suddenly reduce. The vehicle would not operate in reverse. After shutting the vehicle off and restarting the engine, the vehicle would operate normally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failures. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 171,000.

- Opa Locka, FL, USA

Nov 212014

I purchased a used 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, (with the loan company and car lot),I could not get the loan without having the car sales company put an anti-theft device in, when they did that, all of the features stopped working, .not able to lock, open with remote, seat-belt and airbag light stay on etc etc etc diagnoses (body control module $950. Currently using the vehicle.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Aug 222012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Since I've owned this vehicle "new", I've replaced the drive lights three times for burned cables also, the passenger side seatbelts locks while in motion. My local dealer informed me that, that was typical of the passenger safety a passenger, once you set down and put the seatbelt on, it locks, holding you too tight, and virtually choking the passenger!! all other seatbelts works fine. And still functions the same to this day.

- Hephzibah, GA, USA

Aug 012014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving home one night from work on a back road in South Carolina going 35mph when my headlights shut off and the car completly stalled, I quickly turned on my hazard lights on to warn the oncoming traffic the car that was coming up on me had to swerve into the grass because the area was so dark he didnt see my hazard lights until he got close to me. This isnt the first time this has happen there really should be a recall on these 2002 trail Blazer because this is not safe at all im worried my child will be in the truck with me and it happens again.

- Spartnburg , SC, USA

Oct 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The fiberglass cowling on top of the rear hatch fell off while driving, dangling only by the brake light cable. I had to cut the wire and remove the piece of body and light. Went to dealer asking about repair, they said it was caused by "use of the tailgate during winter conditions of snow and ice." They said "we see it all the time." I asked, since it occurs with high frequency, if it is covered by warranty, bulletin or recall and they said "no, GM considers this an owner/operator error." In other words, on this vehicle, a 4X4, the tailgate cannot nor should not be used, in the midwest, during periods of snow or ice? alas, I am driving without the mandatory center brake light. Please remedy this situation with proper replacement. Sadly, I see this condition on the same make and model more often than not.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Feb 132014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My 02 Trailblazer I bought used 4 days after I bought it the right turn signal would flash quick if I hit the brake but would be normal without pushing break. Than my brake lights started flickering and stopped working except for the middle one. Now when I turn my right turn signal on my reverse lights come on left turn signal flickers almost all the taillights flicker when on. I did research and found a recall for that problem and was wondering if my vehicle is one that was recalled the number is- GM recall no. 04087.

- Rapid City, MI, USA

Sep 272013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving I noticed a burning smell outside of my vehicle but assumed it was coming from the area around me not my car. When I got to my destination I noticed smoke coming from under the left side of the hood and above the drivers side tire. I raised my hood and noticed smoke coming from around my fuse box. I had the car towed and have been told by my mechanic my fuse box and wiring harness burned. He also stated there could be other damaged related to this fire. The mechanic also asked if I had problems out of my headlights because the problem seemed to have started with the headlights. I have researched this since being given this information and electrical problems seem have been a problem with Trailblazers. I found several instances on this site and also online related to electrical problems on the Trailblazers. Complaint #10487846 is identical to mine and its a shame nothing gets done about these mechanical failures until there is a tragedy.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Aug 022012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving at night and the headlights went out. Everything else was working, I had dash board lights. I was able to pull off on a side road and try to determine from the manual if it was a fuse. I turned the car off and when I started it again, the lights came back on. This happen again 2 weeks later. I took it into the dealer and they could not find anything wrong. I researched the problem on line as I felt this was a major safety issue and found that I was not the only one experiencing this problem with Trailblazers. I just saw where corvette owners were experiencing a similar problem and that this Agency was investigating. I would appreciate it if you could include other Chevrolet models in this investigation.

- Wood River, IL, USA

Nov 102010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The dash lights and gauges all go out intermittently.

- Canton, OH, USA

Aug 022010

Left front headlight goes out periodically. Replace light and within at least a week it goes out again. Have seen several Trailblazers with left head light out.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 012010

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the brake light overheated and caused the bulb socket to melt. The contact replaced the bake light socket assembly himself but the failure was not corrected and the brake light failed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised the contact to have the vehicle diagnosed by the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 115,000 and the current mileage was 125,000.

- Bethany , CT, USA

Feb 022010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The rear right and left brake lights and rear turn signal lights have burned out repeated. I purchased the 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer in December 2001. The problem first started to occur when the brake lights failed at 30,000 miles in 2003. I had to replace the circuit boards the lights plug into at my own cost to fix the problem. There was a recall to replace the circuit boards in 2004, NHTSA #04V527000, which I had performed on the vehicle. Subsequently the circuit boards burned out again a few years later. I took the vehicle back to the dealership and they said they wouldn't replace the circuit boards at their expense. I then purchased and installed the circuit boards myself. In 2010 the circuit boards burned out again. I took the vehicle back to the dealership and they investigated and said they couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle other than the circuit board. They charged me $191.50 to investigate the problem and change out the circuit boards again. This is a safety issue because the rear brake lights and rear turn signal lights not working increases the risk of a crash. I received a ticket/warning on 2-2-11 for the brake lights not working but expect the brake lights will become inoperative again soon as this is the 5th set of circuit boards that have been placed in the vehicle and they keep burning out, and Chevrolet/General Motors hasn't supplied a satisfactory correction to solve the problem. Current mileage is 159,000 and the problem started at 30,000.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Jan 012009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Front end problems, 4 wheel low comes on at anytime. Problem after problems with this 2002 Chevy trail Blazer..

- Lagrange, OH, USA

Dec 172010

My headlights started to flicker one seasonably winter day. I had the heater motor replaced 2 months prior to this incident and back wiper motor just a month before this.then the heater motor cut out, and did so numerous times as I traveled on a 20 degree day. It seemed to run fine after that for the most part that day. I later got into it and again headlights flickered and heater motor cut out. Especially when I would accelerate or turn to the right. I replaced the battery, alternator and had ground wires cleaned only to have it recur a week later. I do most of my driving at night and when the lights went out and came back on I had enough. This had become quite costly and my mechanic was at a loss as to what to do next. I took it to a Chevy dealer and traded it in on another vehicle, as I can no longer afford to keep spending money on a mystery issue.

- Sauk Centre, MN, USA

Aug 212009

I was leaving a football game on a Friday night, driving down the road my headlights just shut off. I turned on my high beams left them on for a few minutes (5-10) then turned them off, the headlights came back on. I had a mechanic to look at it, they could not determine what was causing the problem. There is no certain time that this occurs, I am just driving down the road and the headlights will just go completely out. I almost had an accident one night. I was out of town leaving a football game getting on the interstate, I almost hit the medium because I could not see. This occur approximately 2-3 time in a month.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 072010

The low beam headlights quit working on my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer I have tried the fuses and replacing headlights nothing works, the highbeam lights work.

- Christiana, TN, USA

Aug 192009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Details: I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. When I press on the accelerator the vehicle will lose power for a moment and regain power in heavy traffic. Also, the service engine light will come on. I took this vehicle to a service center and they told me the repairs that it supposedly needed. Everything from the fuel pump to every sensor that you can think of. Now it seems to be something with the electrical system. I have already replaced the whole steering collum and everything that they suggested. But the problem with the vehicle did not change. This vehicle has been doing this for 8 months with. I believe that there is a electrical issue somewhere in my vehicle. Somebody help!

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 112006

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. My inside lights have stopped working and I assumed that is was due to a blown fuse. I took it to the Chevy dealer ship and they stated that I may have a wiring problem. The wire the connects to my headlight burns out easily and my bulbs for my taillight has to be replaced often. Can you please assist. I have to replace the head light wiring several time and have to replace the tail light bulbs. The problem started several years ago. The last time that I had to replace a part was December of 2009.

- Killeen , TX, USA

Oct 072009

Low beam headlamp sockets have had to be replaced at least 4 times on 1 side and at least 1 time on other side due to melting. Parts store has the socket highlighted in their parts catalog because they get so many requests for this part. Same problem: Melted sockets.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Mar 062009

I own a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer and I have had my headlights checked because not always but once in a while they just completely turn off sometimes at night time while driving. I took it in to a repair shop and nothing was found wrong with it but the problem continues I have to have headlights and brake lights changed like every month or so my truck one day didn't turn on couldn't figure out what was wrong with it sat in my garage for about 3 days and everyday I would try to turn it on but nothing after the 3rd day went and tried again it came on without a problem and it's been okay just the problem with my headlights still going off at night once in a while. I know 2 other people who have 2002 Chevy Trailblazers and have had kind of the same problems. I believe that their is an electrical problem with the 2002 Chevy Trailblazers.

- Collinsville, IL, USA