CarComplaints.com Notes: Carrying the not-so-proud traditions of its 2002 predecessor, the 2003 has a handful of instrument panel malfunctions that can leave you guessing your speed, engine temperature or how much gas is left in the tank.

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Trailblazer

When starting the vehicle, it periodically will not start, lose all power, key gets stuck in the ignition without ability to return ignition to off position. There is a sound (like a high voltage sound coming from a transformer) and eventually resets itself, until 2 days ago. It would not reset itself, resulting in it being towed to a repair center. They indicated it was the alternator and battery and after changing both, the service engine soon light came back on and the high voltage sound has returned. There are times the rear wiper will turn on without my touching anything and times where the RPM gage will get stuck.

Jan 102011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Front headlights will not work, and are wires are burnt, air and heater will only blow on the floor setting even if put on a different setting, when you turn ac on the back windshield wiper comes on. When starting the car there is a loud clicking that sounds like it is coming from the dash. If stopped just for a few seconds while at a stop light or stop sign the temp will go from normal to 260! as long as you are going at least fast enough to push air through the grill it won't run hot, but if you are in town and traffic it will run hot and will not cool off unless you either stop and let it cool off or get to where you can go fast enough to push the air! the car will lock while it is running and in park. It will lock and the keyless remote will not open it. There have been times I have pushed brake in and the alarm system would go off. When stopping at a stop light or slowing down the car will try to die and at times had actually died for no reason. I believe there is a major electrical problem with the 2003 Trailblazers and someone needs to do something about. This is not safe and should not be tolerated! I am worried that it is going to catch on fire with me or my children in it, and I should feel safe in a vehicle! this car is a hazard to not only me and my family but anyone that is on the road beside us, because it is eventually going to catch on fire and I just pray that no one is hurt or killed due to this neglect by Chevrolet!!

- Prattsville, AR, USA

May 052010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Speedometer quit working. This is a common problem with this vehicle and should be covered under a factory recall.

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Nov 102010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I own a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. My cluster started to malfunction in November 2010. I purchased the vehicle in July 2010. The odometer doesn't work at all, and the speedometer spins and spins around, which doesn't register the correct speeds. While searching the internet and this site, this is a common problem that happens with these vehicles that Chevrolet is not fixing. This should be recalled so that Chevrolet can properly fix this problem.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 012010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that all of the instrument panel gauges excluding the fuel level gauge was reading inaccurately. When driving at any speed, the speedometer remained at the same speed regardless of how fast or slow he was driving. Both the dealer and manufacturer were informed of the failure and advised her that there were no recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was approximately 120,000 and the failure mileage was 80,000.

- Martinsville, IL, USA

Nov 022010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated the fuel gauge was defective as it gave inaccurate readings. The dealer was contacted who stated the failure was not a safety issue. The manufacturer was contacted who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 72,000 and current mileage was 74,000.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Feb 052011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Safety issue!!!! I own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. My speedometer started acting up a couple of months ago and got worse this month. Sometimes the needle starts at 50 or 70 mph instead of 0 and moves up from there. It will say that I am doing over 120 mph when I am only going about 45. Other times it will stay on one number at not move at all. Two weeks ago I turned on my car and the needle was pointing straight down to the odometer. I bought a new battery and that did not help. We unplugged the battery for 30 min and it rest everything. Two days later I was having problems again. We researched the problem on line only to find out that a very large number of Trailblazers were having this problem and that we needed to call GM. I did. The part has not been recalled even though the person I talked to knew exactly what the problem was 5 min into our conversation. She told me I had to take my Trailblazer tot he dealership to confirm. I called the dealership and the service guy I talked to also knew what the problem was in less than 5 min. I took the car in and continued to be in contact with Chevy to seek financial assistance. I was transferred up to the next step where a very rude man denied my claim because of the mileage on my car. I had to pay for the entire thing and they would not provide me with the parts that they took off my car. The service guy a the dealership said their was a core charge on my part so he had to send it into Chevy so they could rebuild it. Not knowing how fast I was going and knowing that my other gauges were going to fail as well (since they are all connected to the cluster) is a major safety concern for me. It does not take match research on the internet to determine this is a major issue that Chevy is not taking care of.

- Webster, TX, USA

Nov 192010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact noticed that the speedometer indicated that the vehicle was traveling 80 mph. A few days later, the speedometer functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Kileen, TX, USA

Oct 252010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Tachometer quit working then 3 months later the speedometer quit working.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 012011

Trailblazer

Instrument cluster on 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. RPM gauge started doesn't register correctly now the speedometer is not funtioning either.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Dec 262010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The speedometer on my 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer is inaccurate. It will read various speeds at all times. From a stand still, it will read anywhere between 10 to 80 mph.

- Terryville, CT, USA

Dec 202010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Stepper motor in my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with approximately 146000 miles went bad. Does not read correct fuel level. Dealer stated that fuel sender unit was working that the whole instrument cluster needed to be replaced. Have seen online that many Trailblazer owners are reporting similar issues. Was told many other GM vehicles with same instrument clusters have failed and were replaced via recall.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Jul 102009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have a Chevrolet Trailblazer 2003. I was driving the vehicle as usual. The speedometer quit working and other various lights on my dash board lit up, I.e. change oil light, check engine light. A Chevrolet dealer checked the vehicle and told me it was the instrument panel cluster and that it would be about $420,00. It works periodically for a few days and then goes back out again. I have checked the web site and Chevrolet knows about this and had a recall for a short time and did not notify its customers. I only found about this when a friend also had the same problems with her Tahoe and she had talked to a mechanic who said he fixed the same problem for one of his customers and found our that there had been a recall that Chevrolet did not notify it's customers. My husband and I have doctors appt. That are at least 75 miles one way and I worry about getting a ticket or having further vehicle damage related to this concern.

- Maysville, WV, USA

Jan 102009

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument cluster malfunctioned. The contact was unable to read the fuel gauge, speedometer, temperature gauge, and oil pressure gauge because they were no longer working. The contact called the dealer regarding the instrument cluster. The dealer stated that since the warranty had expired there was nothing they could do. The contact had not called the manufacturer. The contact stated that this was a safety issue and a manufacturers defect that needed to be addressed. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- San Gabriel , CA, USA

Dec 012010

Trailblazer

The problem is this. I went to go somewhere at 5 am it was 44 degrees and raining. A light came on that said "ice on the roadway" another light came on that said "engine power reduced" so here I am going under 5 miles per hour on the freeway. Its 44 degrees and no ice. It has been doing this every since I bought it new in 2003. I have told them every time I take it in for a lube and oil change but they ignore me because they do not know how to fix it.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Aug 152009

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While the vehicle was parked the rpms stopped working and in a year the speedometer stopped working. While the vehicle was parked the speedometer displayed 80 mph. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic and who advised her that the step motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. She contacted the manufacturer and was advised that there was no recall for the failure. The failure and current mileage were approximately 120,000.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Nov 202008

Trailblazer

Starting in November 2008 while living in Minnesota, the instrument cluster on my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer started showing incorrect readings. First, the speedometer, then at one time or another, most of the gauges like fuel, temp, and oil pressure. The speedometer would read 100 mph with the car stopped. After winter, the gauges and speedometer returned to normal with only an occasional bad reading. I moved to Florida in 2009, and went about six months with no issues, but starting summer of 2010, the erratic speedometer readings started again. I contacted Chevy and was told a similar problem had been the subject of a recall for Tahoe and other vehicles, but that the Trailblazer was not included in the recall, and I would have to pay the +/- $700 repair bill myself.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 062010

Trailblazer

Fuel guage reads past full when not, fuel gauge reads empty when full speedometer reads 114 when at stop, needle points down when at highway speed nothing done to correct failure at this time.

- Liberty, MO, USA