Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Carrying the not-so-proud traditions of its 2002 predecessor, the 2003 has a handful of instrument panel malfunctions that can leave you guessing your speed, engine temperature or how much gas is left in the tank.

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Apr 252016

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 25 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle's steering pulled to the left. When the contact released the brake pedal, the vehicle pulled back to the right. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion was leaking fluid and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Feb 042015

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 136,000.

- St. Claire Shores, MI, USA

Aug 012014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Power steering line failed/corroded and leaked all the fluid on ground without warning. Unknown if there is damage to the unit.

- Defiance, MO, USA

Jun 012014

While driving down the road, my car shut off and I almost drove off the road because all of the lights shut off and I lost control of my power steering and brakes.

- Arthur, IA, USA

Mar 292014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Was making a turn at low speed when power steering failed. Has happened a few times since.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Dec 252011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Was making a lane change on perfect road conditions when the back end of the Trailblazer started shaking uncontrollably. Veered into the median and was about to drive into on coming traffic. Cranked hard on the steering wheel to the right to avoid traffic and rolled the vehicle 4 times.

- Pulaski, WI, USA

Nov 172004

Trailblazer 6-cyl

This vehicle was purchased new in Jun 2003. While still under warranty, various recalls were issued for steering, brake lights and rear hatch locking/handle assembly. Since then, the vehicle has been a lemon. Power steering pump replaced twice (first one I paid for, second independent and very reliable mechanic shop paid). Next the engine cooling fan bearing had to be replaced. Later, the transmission had to be rebuilt. I also had to get the computer checked and reset to avoid surging engine RPM and resultant speed deviations. Reaching a point of frustration as never before, I wrote GM asking for consideration repairing the transmission and received no response. I know they received the email since I had a "receipt requested" feature activated in my office computer. I sent a second email stating I was aware of the email receipt and that I expected a response. No such luck. All these problems manifested themselves well before the 100,000 miles were reached. Now at approximately 132,000 miles, I had to replace the exhaust manifold due to a crack, the vehicle has lost power on two occasions, the entire dashboard has gone to zero and back to normal several times and the latest is an engine noise that my very reliable, 6 year auto service provider has told be is related to the timing belt assembly/mount points and as it gets louder, the engine will be getting ready to fail. So, I read all these complaints today and felt like I could have summarized everyone's complaints and concerns. I am an accident investigator and have no doubt that this vehicle will go down in history as one of the most unreliable and dangerous cars ever built. Shame the feds have not taken the extra steps to remedy the issues after so many complaints yet, they went after top selling Toyota at a time when the american made cars were barely able to stay afloat. Wonder?

- Eastover, NC, USA

Feb 172006

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Dragging feeling when turning steering wheel. Sounded like metal scrapping against metal.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Apr 102003

Trailblazer 4WD

I have had several repairs done to my new vehicle. I have had the 2003 Trailblazer for 7 months and it has been in the shop 7 times-2 times for the coolant system-1 time for my master cylinder-3 times for my circuit boards-now for my steering and my starter( I believe my truck is in the shop as I am typing this letter) I have been trying to work with the dealership and GM but no one is trying to replace my truck with something that is not in the shop every month. Thanks.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 262002

The car constantly wanders (especially at high speeds) causing me to continually correct the car to stay within the lines of the road. I took the car to the dealer 2xs and the performed 2 wheel alignments. This is not the issue as it started when I bought the car last Nov 2002 and continues every day. This car is very unsafe to drive due to this wandering issue. The dealer stated the steering is extremely sensitive. I again disagree since the only reason I have to adjust is due to the wandering which happens on its own.

- Edison, NJ, USA