CarComplaints.com Notes: It would be ill-advised to blaze any trails with the 2004 Trailblazer. Its faulty fuel gauge could leave you stranded.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 4 of 18)

Jan 042012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the entire cluster gauge was inoperable. The contact was unable to see the current vehicle speed due to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the cluster gauge need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 102,000.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Jan 152013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The instrument panel randomly goes off then on, sometimes freezes. Happens at any speed. No special characteristics that causes it.

- Harrisville, NY, USA

Jun 062011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument panel failed and none of the gauges were operable. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that all of the stepper motors on the back of the gauges need to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 45,978. The current mileage was 94,000. Updated 2/12/2013

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Nov 052012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while inspecting the vehicle, he discovered that the brake lights were not functioning correctly. Upon further investigation, it was determined that the sockets for the lights had become burned. In addition, the passenger side headlight intermittently failed and the socket for the passenger headlight was also found to be burned. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic or the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 96,112.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Sep 052012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

After driving my ls Trailblazer to the store, I got back in to notice the speedometer was no longer resting at "0". this was before I even started the vehicle. It was sitting at the "55" point! upon starting the vehicle, the gauge did not move back to zero. So as I drove away, going no more than 10mph, the gauge suggested I was going 65! I was scared driving home because I did not know my exact speed. Upon getting home and shutting off the vehicle, I noticed the gauge rested at the "50" point. So I turned on the vehicle, then quickly turned it off. The speedometer was now resting at "45". I continued to quickly start and then shut off the vehicle, eventually working the gauge back down to zero. But this does not seem like the right thing to do. There is obviously something wrong. In the past, I have had smaller scale incidents with the tachometer gauge. It would zero itself at 1 or 2 rpms, thus indicating my engine was revving higher than it actually was. Moreover, a couple times my fuel gauge was pointing outside of the E to F range! there is something seriously wrong with the electrical system. GM, you need to recall this and fix it please.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jul 132011

Trailblazer

While taking my girls to school my speedometer reading was 50mph faster than I was actually going and my tact was not registering at all. When I stopped the car I turned engine off and restarted the car and neither gauge works at all and hasn't in over a year. I took the vehicle to my local dealership and they want $800 to fix it and said it was a malfunction in the cluster and I have checked and it is a severe problem with this make and model. I have been driving without these gauges working and judge my speed with the traffic, but I am a single mom with limited resources and purchased a GM vehicle because of the safety reports. I feel that with all of the other same complaints does it take a loss of life to get this issue resolved.

- Ashland, KY, USA

Jul 022012

Trailblazer

I have the same problem that an earlier blogger as, all my gauges are stuck, the speedometer is stuck, the oil gauge stuck, gas gauge stuck, I think GM needs to take control of their problem and correct it, not just say it's not a problem they will not fix. There needs to be a recall for this problem pin the Trailblazer trucks.

- West Grove, PA, USA

May 292012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and the cluster is going bad. Finding out that I'm not the only one that has this problem. I had the same problem with my Chevy Avalanche and it was recalled. I think that this a problem while driving. I think someone should do something before someone gets hurt. Because the gauges go out the on and while driving. It could hurt a young driver that doesn't what to do. GM knows the problem but will not do anything about it. It the same problem that they did a recall on with the trucks. So I think they should fix this problem. So could you please help before someone gets hurt bad over this problem. Thank you please help!

- Alexandria, OH, USA

Apr 122011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While traveling at various speeds, the contact noticed that all of the gauges on the instrument panel failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the instrument panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 101,000 and the failure mileage was 98,000.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Apr 052011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the digital instrument panel failed. The contact was unable to read the speed traveled, mileage or fuel levels. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the instrument panel was not under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 73,000.

- Saint George, UT, USA

Dec 152011

Trailblazer 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel gauge has been fluctuating wildly for a couple of months, generally reading empty (even after fill up) but occasionally full (when a fill up is needed). Dealer said fuel gauge sensor was bad & that it would be approx $900 to fix. Looking into the problem online I see there are thousands of people with the same problem.

- Independence, KY, USA

Nov 012011

Trailblazer

The stepper motors in the instrument cluster have failed. This is an extremely common problem and people are now making a living off of charging for the repairs because GM is refusing to issue a recall.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Oct 092010

Trailblazer

The driver's side window relay switch is bad. I have had several quotes from dealerships and looks like the cost is around $400. (for them to replace and reprogram). There is a huge safety issue if you cannot roll down your window on the driver's side and roll down and lock or unlock any of the doors or windows from the driver's side as well. I have read many complaints on various websites from consumers with the same problem. With the majority of these switches going bad, they need to recall this, as it is very costly andnot at all safe. Especially if an officer needs to approach you and you have to open your door first. That could lead to an unsafe incident toward yourself as well as any law enforcement agent. If you can please address this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. I have researched any recall on this and have not had any luck. Thank you for your time in addressing this issue.

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Sep 012011

Trailblazer

The speedometer in my 2004 Trailblazer regularly becomes stuck while I'm driving.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Dec 012011

Trailblazer

Instrument panel stopped working. First the tachometer - then the speedometer.

- Middletown, MD, USA

Sep 012010

Trailblazer

Instrument panel gauges malfunction and show improper readings. For instance tachometer shows 5000 RPM at idle. Alternator gauge is off the scale. Temperature gauge is also showing false reading. Oil pressure gauge is also false. Incident date is approximate. Individual gauges failed over time.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Sep 022009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4 V6 is experiencing some instrument panel cluster problems. This is the second time as I had the instrument panel cluster entirely replaced once already. The fist time, the tachometer stopped working and the speedometer malfunctioned showing incorrect speeds at different times, including showing 80mph when sitting still in the driveway. Now the instrument panel has malfunctioned again. Now my battery gauge, fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, and temp gauge stopped working and and are at zero as if the car is off. Most of my warning lights are on also. The ABS, seatbelt, battery, and parking brake lights stay on. Also, the gear indicator light telling me if I am in P, R, N, D, etc no longer highlights the gear I am in and the cruise control light doesn't come on when I engage the cruise control. However, I would say once out of every 15-20 times I drive the car the instrument panel and gauges work flawlessly. Obviously this time it is not the motors of the gauges that are the problem, but something power and/or electrical. I'm worried about knowing how much gas I have left and, more importantly, what my speed is, whether the engine temp is ok, and whether the oil pressure is normal.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 162010

Trailblazer

Speedometer gauge, fuel gauge, temp. Guage not working. Only the RPM and temp gauge working at this time.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Oct 142011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The speedometer on my 2004 Trailblazer operates very erratically. At times it does not work at all at times it registers way slow or way fast. This to me is a major safety issue. If driving on snowy roads you can not tell how fast your wheels are spinning and this could cause loss of control of the vehicle. Or another scenario, traveling on the interstate and the miles per hour is registering between 5 and 10 mph less that you are actually traveling. This could pose a rear end collision problem as those traveling behind you may not notice that your speed is slower. A properly functioning speedometer is a vital part of being able to drive the vehicle in a safe manner, not only for your safety but for those around you. In searching the internet this seems to be more of a "common" problem than what one might realize. General Motors should be held accountable for this problem, as a properly functioning speedometer is an important safety feature. The same as brakes failure, throttle sticking, fire hazard or any other myriad of items on a vehicle are related to the proper and safe operation beyond the operators control. Please look into this. Thank you

- Meadville, PA, USA

May 152010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact noticed that the instrument panel readings began to fluctuate erratically. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Franklin, OH, USA