2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 4 of 16)

Jun 182010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the entire instrument panel was reading inaccurately. The dealer was not made aware of the failure, but the manufacturer advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 39,000 and the current mileage was 47,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jun 232011

Trailblazer

On June 23, 2011, I cranked my 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer lt and the gauges (speedometer, tachometer, etc.) began to fluctuate at a rapid speed. The SUV cut off and I attempted to crank it again. The same thing happened again while I was driving the car. The speedometer went to zero as I was driving 70 miles per hour on the highway. I slowed down, but I had no idea how fast nor slow I was going. I pulled off of the highway, turned the SUV off and restarted it. The speedometer went to 70 miles per hour while it was parked. The speedometer stayed at 70 mph as I made my way back to the highway. I have read several, literally hundreds, of similar situations online about Chevy Trailblazers. I researched and found there are no recalls regarding this malfunction. The first time my gauges fluctuated was about 3 years after I purchased the SUV. I turned the vehicle off, restarted it and had no more problems, so I thought it may have been a glitch and thought nothing else about it. After reading other consumers' concerns about the problem, I discovered most of them had problems with their speedometers during the second year after the SUV was purchased. It's a very dangerous situation when one cannot gauge his or her speed while driving because the speedometer stops working all of a sudden. It's dangerous at crosswalks, schools zones, and every road and highway we travel on. Consumers have complained to their Chevrolet service mechanics and customer service, but many are told the part has to be replaced or the entire console has to be replaced and reprogrammed. I am persuaded that there is a problem with the electrical system which has an adverse effect on the speedometer. Hopefully this matter can be resolved without any tragic endings.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Oct 052010

Trailblazer

Oil gauge on instrument panel stopped working in October 2010. In May 2011 now the tachometer and speedometer stopped working. I have read of many complaints on 2003 Trailblazer having this problem. I am experiencing the same issue and yet no recall. How is the speedometer malfunctioning not considered a safety recall when this appears to be consistent in Chevy Trailblazers?

- De Soto, KS, USA

Dec 152006

Trailblazer

Dash cluster: Tachometer failed a 62,000, speedometer at 120,000, now the gas gauge is acting up. If 2005-2007 are bad need to add 2004.

- Tryon, NC, USA

Aug 152010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Trailblazer instrument cluster not working properly, speedometer oil pressure gauge. First oil pressure went to 0 then the speedometer went crazy was doing 50 and it just went to over a 100.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Dec 152010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer lt. The gauges on the instrument panel have begun to read intermittently. First, the gas gauge would read 1/4 tank and I ran out of gas with my 2 year old grandson in the car on the interstate. I have aaa, but was 30 miles from the nearest provider, therefore we were stranded for 2 hours. Now the speedometer is will show that I am going 90 miles an hour when in fact I am only going 30 or 40. Next my oil gauge and temp gauge are reading up and down, giving me false readings that could be a true reading and the engine overheat or freeze up. I researched this issue and see that there are many similar.

- Wewahitchka, FL, USA

Oct 012010

Trailblazer

The gauge bank on the vehicle is malfunctioning. The gauges point in all different directions and the speedometer quits working halfway through a drive. I spoke to my mechanic. He says he has already repaired a few at about $600 for the repair. I checked online and found several other owners expressing the same problem. I contacted Chevy and they say there is not recall notice so they are not going to repair the (common) problem!

- Henderson, NV, USA

Mar 172011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the speedometer failed without warning. The contact performed a diagnostic and the failure was located at the stepper motor. The contact replaced the stepper motor. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 46,550. Updated 06/01/11 updated 06/02/11

- Sunbury, PA, USA

Mar 242011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

04 Trailblazer instrument cluster (speedometer) works intermittently multiple times.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 082008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

At about 65,000 miles my tachometer started to read improper, later my gauges began to read improper. This doesn't happen all the time. But you can't trust them. You never know how fast you are going, if you have fuel, if your engine is overheating, if battery is charging, if I have oil pressure. I am on disibilty and can't afford the several hundered dollars it will cost to repair. I have found from a few sources this is a common problem. I just talked to GM, I was told that if I had it repaired to keep my reciepts. But there is no recall on the 04 Trailblazer only on full size vehicles. So if I spent more money on an other venicle GM would fix it and make it safe. I feel it is unsafe for myself or my wife.

- Colfax, CA, USA

Feb 052008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Trailblazer all gauges, tachometer, speedometer, battery, fuel, have failed one at a time starting with tachometer not operating at all, to speedometer sporadic for several months, now currently stuck at over 120mph. Have contacted dealer about problem and they say it is a very common problem in this model, there has been no recall for this issue and would be approx. $1500 to repair. Why is GM not concerned with this issue? this is definitely a safety issue to be driving at unknown speeds with an unknown fuel level, etc.---- absolutely absurd!!!

- Sapulp, OK, USA

Mar 052011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The 2004 Trailblazer has a malfunction in the RPM and speedometer gauge. This is apparently a defect that GM should acknowledge and be held accountable for.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 022004

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the speedometer, fuel level gauge, odometer and other instrument panel gauges failed. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer and advised that the electrical module failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 6,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 272011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet trial Blazer. The contact stated that the instrument panel gauges would fail sporadically. The dealer inspected the vehicle and advised that the gauge cluster would need to be replaced. In addition, the dealer stated that because the failure was common in his year, make and model, they would replace the cluster with an updated gauge cluster. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 125,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Milton, VT, USA

Feb 072011

Trailblazer

The problem started in January, 2011, with the voltage gauge taking a few seconds to come up to full voltage, accompanied by dim vehicle lights, at start-up. On February 6, 2011, the temperature, and one other gauge, started moving erratically. The next day, February 7, all of the gauges pointed straight down (6 O┐clock position). Research showed this is a common problem, across several model lines, but GM is selectively refusing to fix Trailblazers, under a recall. I verified this with the dealer. The battery was removed for three hours and a loaner battery installed. Gauges worked properly. A brand new battery was installed (again, after three hours with no battery installed) on February 10. As of February 28, the problem has not re-occurred, but research shows many instances of the problem re-occurring after the installation of a new battery.

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

Dec 202010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While the driver was traveling 45 mph, she drove over a bump, the brakes failed to engage, she lost control of the vehicle and it crashed into a highway cement wall. The driver sustained facial injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer to be inspected. The contact also stated that the speedometer did not indicate the correct speed at which the vehicle was traveling and the air bag light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 96,000.

- Pine Bluff, AR, USA

Mar 062008

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument cluster failed and none of the gauges functioned. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the problem was common but offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Green Acres, FL, USA

Sep 122010

Trailblazer

At first the battery gauge went. 2 weeks later the temperature gauge and RPM gauge quit functioning properly. Another 2 weeks later the speedometer got stuck and now it reads improperly. The gas gauge has now gone. That was the last gauge to go. This is on a 2004 Chevrolet trail Blazer.

- Florence, MS, USA

Mar 162009

Trailblazer

Instrument cluster failure on 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Oil pressure and amps gauge malfunction. Mechanic quoted price $650 to replace cluster. Emissions failure paid dealer approximately $375 to replace emissions pump. Air conditioning mode motor actuator out; blower doesn't operate on high setting. Dealer quoted price $750 to fix air conditioner. Sporadic electrical issues-service engine soon light on-first time code read faulty thermostat cooling sensor, next it read faulty air mass sensor, another time it read faulty emissions sensor. Mechanic quoted price $40 per hour plus parts to isolate problem. A person could go broke before fixing possible problems, considering no accident occurred due to all these possibilities. Front suspension problems, hard to isolate. Paid mechanic $135 to replace right side inner tie rod end. Did not fix problem. Problem occurs when returning steering wheel from a right turn, front right side makes a single "pop" sound. Had to replace "burnt" headlight pigtails on front, and park light pigtail on right rear. Property damage is considered damage to vehicle due to the complaints listed.

- Linn Valley, KS, USA

Aug 012010

Trailblazer

Instrument cluster, specifically the tachometer has gone out. From my research its just a matter of time before the rest of my gauges go out. Dealer had quoted me $600 dollars for replacement of cluster panel. This is a common problem and needs to be addressed.

- Geronimo , OK, USA