2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System

NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 4 of 17)

Apr 202006

Trailblazer

Bought vehicle used in 2005, had 56,000 miles on it at the time. At 76,000 miles the speedometer went out completely had to be replaced. Replaced the speedometer $500 cost. In 2007, the dashboard and all the gauges started going crazy, had it checked at a Chevy dealer they confirmed it was an electrical problem that was not covered under my warranty and was gonna cost way to much to fix. Later in 2009 the alarm system decided it wouldn't work anymore, or it would set itself. (got locked in the car for at least 20 minutes or more, wouldn't start either to reset the process), the remote key wouldn't work as well. Had it inspected again, full diagnostic done by the Chevy dealer & also by Firestone, every issue that the car has is related to the electrical system failing constantly. Headlights go off and on when they feel like it, hit them they come back on sometimes, tail lights have gone out, no need to replace bulbs that is not the issue. Full diagnostic cost money, I have called the better business bureau to see what I could do to make Chevy pay for this disfunctioning vehicle but, of course it is a bunch of red tape and political bull crap. I do not recommend this vehicle to anyone too much money will be lost and still no results. Currently my vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it and the gauges still go out every now and then, the headlights still go out and the alarm still sets itself when it feels like it. I pray over this vehicle everytime I get in it.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Dec 022011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact was driving 75 mph when the instrument panel gauges failed to provide accurate readings. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who confirmed that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 179,000 and the current mileage was 179,500.

- Gardendale, AL, USA

Jul 062010

Trailblazer

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer; while driving on the highway; all gauges, lights, etc. Abruptly stopped working and continue to not work. I researched on line and found it could be what is called the "cluster board". I took my vehicle to a local Chevy dealer in daytona beach fl. They insisted it was the ignition switch. They replaced that mechanism for just under $300. The following week (this occurred in 2010); the exact same situation recurred; so I brought it back to the dealer and they then agreed it was the cluster board which would now cost me close to $700. In order to avoid being ripped off to the tune of almost $1K; I purchased a gps unit so I could at least monitor my speed. The speed/rpms never register correctly; however, so far the other gauges seems to be ok (except for the oil pressure, it goes out of whack frequently so I just bring it in quickly to make sure I have sufficient oil and that it's clear/clean). Most recently my headlights just go out without warning; I am able to use the high beams, but of course that puts me in jeopardy of getting a ticket. There are so many complaints on the 2004 Chevy Trailblazer - I do not understand why there has not been a recall on the cluster board and the electrical issues (lighting). I cannot afford to have all the repairs completed and would like to see Chevrolet take on some responsibility for the cost of these flaws in the manufacturing of this vehicle.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Nov 032011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and the only lights that would function were the fog lights and high beams. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure and the current mileages were 91,000.

- Calumet, IL, USA

Dec 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Dashboard gauges on our 2004 Trailblazer have been failing one by one. No gauges except the speedometer have been operable for many months. Now, on Friday 11/11/11, the speedometer stopped working! this is a serious problem. I believe it must be caused by the same issues as the identical well-publicized problems on other Trailblazers. In addition, some of the dashboard lights (seatbelt light, etc.) remain on almost all the time. Chevrolet should be responsible for immediate repairs at no cost to us, the owner. Thank you.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 172011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

General Motors vehicle is showing an incorrect speed, the speedometer stops working, the tachometer needle sticks or stops working, the fuel gauge flutters or the entire instrument panel fails.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Oct 222011

Trailblazer

The speedometer and tachometer give improper readings. They failed whilst I was driving on the interstate at 70 mph.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Feb 012009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Instrument panel failure: Owner states that instrument/gauge panel began to fail at or about 39,000 miles when the temperature was below 38' F degrees, that same year during the summer months speed gauge began to malfunction followed by all other gauges(RPM, gas, temp) at 50,000 miles, regardless of weather conditions. Currently there is a total failure of all gauges.

- Wyandanch, NY, USA

Oct 072008

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that all of the gauges in the instrument panel were either inoperable or would read inaccurately. The manufacturer was not contacted. The dealer advised the contact that he would need to have the instrument cluster replaced, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 78,000.

- Pasedena, TX, USA

Sep 282011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet trail Blazer. The contact stated that the heating and air conditioning fan control would not work until it reached level four of the five settings. In addition, the speedometer was inoperable. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- West Newton, PA, USA

Jul 012011

Trailblazer

Since purchasing our Blazer, we have replaced both headlight bulbs numerous of times including the sockets for each side. My headlights have been known to work one day and not the next. Or we can simply tap it and it will go out/come on. In the last 3 months I have had the bulb on the driver side replaced twice! we have speculated that the wires are loose but when inspected, that does not seem to be the case. I have had my car at the shop (not Chevy they cost too much) and they have not found anything more than a burnt bulb. Within the last 2 months, I was driving on a road that was not well lit at about 10P when both headlights went out. After pulling over & deciding the only way to make it home was to drive with my flashers on, I continued my way home. Half way home they came back on but before I got home they went out again. How does that happen" again, I would say it's a loose wire, but what are the odds of that on both sides" now, tonight, while my 17 year old son was driving (11P) with 2 friends with him, both headlights went out; but came back on. My lights have been known to flicker, like they are not getting enough power/too much. I have called a local dealer & am told they can run a test to see what they find. That would be great, if I had the cash flow for it; as it's not cheap just for them to "run" the test not fix it...that will cost extra. I am not sure how Chevy feels there is not an issue with the headlights? if you know exactly what my issue is please tell me so that I can have some one I can afford to pay, fix it. Buying bulbs is the least of my worries if that was the only issue. But for both headlights to go out at the same time, that's an issue! I would hope that you, Chevy, realize this is an ongoing issue & really has nothing to do with mileage. The headlights have been an issue since we bought the vehicle.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 152011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While parked, the contact noticed that the gauges on the instrument panel would not function. The failure would recur intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing but was unable to diagnose the failure because the gauges were functioning at the time of testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 29,279.

- Deerfield, IL, USA

Jul 102010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument panel became inoperable and he was unable to determine how much gasoline was in the vehicle or how fast and slow it was traveling. The dealer advised the contact to replace the cluster panel at his own expense. The manufacturer was not notified nor was the vehicle repaired. The current mileage was 130,000. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Burmingham, AL, USA

Feb 012011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My head lights don't come on randomly. Randomly they do. Obviously, this is a serious safety issue especially at night. No, it's not light bulb replacemet issues.....other blog sites have complained about the same issues. Very dangerous!!!! the gas gauge also is not working properly. When the gas gets low it blinks on for a second then adds more gas to the panel. People could run out of gas unknowingly. Also very dangerous!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 162009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Instrument cluster fails to operate properly. The speedometer stopped working first, then battery, gas, and temperature gauges failed to work properly. Finally, there is no odometer reading or gear indicator showing on cluster.

- Orangeville, PA, USA

Jun 012011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Speedometer and tachometer stopped working.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 082011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument panel gauges were providing faulty readings. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnosis or repairs and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not the repaired. The failure mileage was 79,000 and the current mileage was 119,000.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Aug 162011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Instrument panel failure, ran out of gas on a busy four lane highway during morning rush hour. I was in the left hand lane and was unable to move to the shoulder. I now became a major traffic problem until some nice citizen helped me push the truck out of harms way, having to stop both lanes of traffic so I could cross. Had I a working gas gauge I feel this would not have happened, none of the instruments in the vehicle work, Chevy has recalled other models of this year with the same problems, but not the Trailblazer. Why?

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 012011

Trailblazer

2004 Chevy Trailblazer gauge panel stopped working. Oil temp, water temp, fuel, and volts. RPM and speedometer still ok but have heard numerous complaints on this very issue. Cost to fix this issue is very expensive and not acceptable.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Mar 012011

Trailblazer

My instrument panel on my 2004 Trailblazer is slowly not functioning. It started off with my tachometer and now my gas gauge is not working. My vehicle has not been neglected and is serviced when needed. The gauges are not working now on a daily basis. I have yet to replace the part due to cost and also because many people are having the same issue that I am having.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA