CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 4 of 18)

Apr 122011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While traveling at various speeds, the contact noticed that all of the gauges on the instrument panel failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the instrument panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 101,000 and the failure mileage was 98,000.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Apr 052011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the digital instrument panel failed. The contact was unable to read the speed traveled, mileage or fuel levels. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the instrument panel was not under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 73,000.

- Saint George, UT, USA

Dec 152011

Trailblazer 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel gauge has been fluctuating wildly for a couple of months, generally reading empty (even after fill up) but occasionally full (when a fill up is needed). Dealer said fuel gauge sensor was bad & that it would be approx $900 to fix. Looking into the problem online I see there are thousands of people with the same problem.

- Independence, KY, USA

Nov 012011

Trailblazer

The stepper motors in the instrument cluster have failed. This is an extremely common problem and people are now making a living off of charging for the repairs because GM is refusing to issue a recall.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Oct 092010

Trailblazer

The driver's side window relay switch is bad. I have had several quotes from dealerships and looks like the cost is around $400. (for them to replace and reprogram). There is a huge safety issue if you cannot roll down your window on the driver's side and roll down and lock or unlock any of the doors or windows from the driver's side as well. I have read many complaints on various websites from consumers with the same problem. With the majority of these switches going bad, they need to recall this, as it is very costly andnot at all safe. Especially if an officer needs to approach you and you have to open your door first. That could lead to an unsafe incident toward yourself as well as any law enforcement agent. If you can please address this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. I have researched any recall on this and have not had any luck. Thank you for your time in addressing this issue.

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Sep 012011

Trailblazer

The speedometer in my 2004 Trailblazer regularly becomes stuck while I'm driving.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Dec 012011

Trailblazer

Instrument panel stopped working. First the tachometer - then the speedometer.

- Middletown, MD, USA

Sep 012010

Trailblazer

Instrument panel gauges malfunction and show improper readings. For instance tachometer shows 5000 RPM at idle. Alternator gauge is off the scale. Temperature gauge is also showing false reading. Oil pressure gauge is also false. Incident date is approximate. Individual gauges failed over time.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Sep 022009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4 V6 is experiencing some instrument panel cluster problems. This is the second time as I had the instrument panel cluster entirely replaced once already. The fist time, the tachometer stopped working and the speedometer malfunctioned showing incorrect speeds at different times, including showing 80mph when sitting still in the driveway. Now the instrument panel has malfunctioned again. Now my battery gauge, fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, and temp gauge stopped working and and are at zero as if the car is off. Most of my warning lights are on also. The ABS, seatbelt, battery, and parking brake lights stay on. Also, the gear indicator light telling me if I am in P, R, N, D, etc no longer highlights the gear I am in and the cruise control light doesn't come on when I engage the cruise control. However, I would say once out of every 15-20 times I drive the car the instrument panel and gauges work flawlessly. Obviously this time it is not the motors of the gauges that are the problem, but something power and/or electrical. I'm worried about knowing how much gas I have left and, more importantly, what my speed is, whether the engine temp is ok, and whether the oil pressure is normal.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 162010

Trailblazer

Speedometer gauge, fuel gauge, temp. Guage not working. Only the RPM and temp gauge working at this time.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Oct 142011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The speedometer on my 2004 Trailblazer operates very erratically. At times it does not work at all at times it registers way slow or way fast. This to me is a major safety issue. If driving on snowy roads you can not tell how fast your wheels are spinning and this could cause loss of control of the vehicle. Or another scenario, traveling on the interstate and the miles per hour is registering between 5 and 10 mph less that you are actually traveling. This could pose a rear end collision problem as those traveling behind you may not notice that your speed is slower. A properly functioning speedometer is a vital part of being able to drive the vehicle in a safe manner, not only for your safety but for those around you. In searching the internet this seems to be more of a "common" problem than what one might realize. General Motors should be held accountable for this problem, as a properly functioning speedometer is an important safety feature. The same as brakes failure, throttle sticking, fire hazard or any other myriad of items on a vehicle are related to the proper and safe operation beyond the operators control. Please look into this. Thank you

- Meadville, PA, USA

May 152010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact noticed that the instrument panel readings began to fluctuate erratically. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Sep 132010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that all of the instrument panel gauges failed. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told there were no recalls for the failure and that entire instrument panel would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 104,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 182011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My 2004 Chevy Trailblazer instrument gauges started going haywire. Everything that I have read says the whole panel needs replaced. The oil, battery, temp and gas clusters stopped working then all of a sudden while driving down the road start working again. Then the speedometer and tach stopped and started and now nothing is coming on. I have no idea how much fuel that I have and all of the warning lights are all lit up. Waiting for the whole thing to blow. I currently have it at a GM dealer and they said that it will cost me 500 bucks to replace the panel. I told them to go ahead because I don't feel safe driving like that. I have to have this vehicle to work and I want GM to pay for this to be fixed. Major safety concern for me!

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Oct 132010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

When I first purchased this vehicle I thought I had a great SUV. Little did I know that within the first month of owning it did I make a huge mistake. I am a single mother of 2 kids. I checked out the crash ratings and they were great!! I liked everything about my TB. Looking back, after the 4th problem within that first month. I should have ran away screaming from it, as I do now daily. The lights flicker when you drive at night. The headlights constantly go out. The check gauges light is constantly coming on. The oil pressure gauge drops for no apparent reason. The tach goes crazy. The "bell" for the lights (when you have the keys out and the lights are still on, or when you have the keys in and the drivers door open) works when it wants to. The battery gauge works when it feels like it. The gas gauge hasn't had a problem lately. I am wondering...doesn't all of that constitute as a safety problem"? I have had the lights looked at and am told there isn't anything that can be done..really?" I am going to have to have the gauges looked at now and from what I see it will cost about $600-$800. Where other Chevy vehicles have had this covered under a recall. There are many other problems I've had, the O2 sensor, temp gauge, other lighting issues that I have taken care of but this is getting to be a bit much. I see many others have had this problem. It can't be from normal wear on the vehicle. Please do something about this before someone's family really gets hurt, if they haven't already.

- Unadilla, NY, USA

Apr 202006

Trailblazer

Bought vehicle used in 2005, had 56,000 miles on it at the time. At 76,000 miles the speedometer went out completely had to be replaced. Replaced the speedometer $500 cost. In 2007, the dashboard and all the gauges started going crazy, had it checked at a Chevy dealer they confirmed it was an electrical problem that was not covered under my warranty and was gonna cost way to much to fix. Later in 2009 the alarm system decided it wouldn't work anymore, or it would set itself. (got locked in the car for at least 20 minutes or more, wouldn't start either to reset the process), the remote key wouldn't work as well. Had it inspected again, full diagnostic done by the Chevy dealer & also by Firestone, every issue that the car has is related to the electrical system failing constantly. Headlights go off and on when they feel like it, hit them they come back on sometimes, tail lights have gone out, no need to replace bulbs that is not the issue. Full diagnostic cost money, I have called the better business bureau to see what I could do to make Chevy pay for this disfunctioning vehicle but, of course it is a bunch of red tape and political bull crap. I do not recommend this vehicle to anyone too much money will be lost and still no results. Currently my vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it and the gauges still go out every now and then, the headlights still go out and the alarm still sets itself when it feels like it. I pray over this vehicle everytime I get in it.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Dec 022011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact was driving 75 mph when the instrument panel gauges failed to provide accurate readings. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who confirmed that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 179,000 and the current mileage was 179,500.

- Gardendale, AL, USA

Jul 062010

Trailblazer

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer; while driving on the highway; all gauges, lights, etc. Abruptly stopped working and continue to not work. I researched on line and found it could be what is called the "cluster board". I took my vehicle to a local Chevy dealer in daytona beach fl. They insisted it was the ignition switch. They replaced that mechanism for just under $300. The following week (this occurred in 2010); the exact same situation recurred; so I brought it back to the dealer and they then agreed it was the cluster board which would now cost me close to $700. In order to avoid being ripped off to the tune of almost $1K; I purchased a gps unit so I could at least monitor my speed. The speed/rpms never register correctly; however, so far the other gauges seems to be ok (except for the oil pressure, it goes out of whack frequently so I just bring it in quickly to make sure I have sufficient oil and that it's clear/clean). Most recently my headlights just go out without warning; I am able to use the high beams, but of course that puts me in jeopardy of getting a ticket. There are so many complaints on the 2004 Chevy Trailblazer - I do not understand why there has not been a recall on the cluster board and the electrical issues (lighting). I cannot afford to have all the repairs completed and would like to see Chevrolet take on some responsibility for the cost of these flaws in the manufacturing of this vehicle.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Nov 032011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and the only lights that would function were the fog lights and high beams. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure and the current mileages were 91,000.

- Calumet, IL, USA

Dec 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Dashboard gauges on our 2004 Trailblazer have been failing one by one. No gauges except the speedometer have been operable for many months. Now, on Friday 11/11/11, the speedometer stopped working! this is a serious problem. I believe it must be caused by the same issues as the identical well-publicized problems on other Trailblazers. In addition, some of the dashboard lights (seatbelt light, etc.) remain on almost all the time. Chevrolet should be responsible for immediate repairs at no cost to us, the owner. Thank you.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA