CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

4.4

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Nov 112008

Trailblazer

We have had a problem with our service engine light coming on within the past 2 weeks in our 2004 Trailblazer. After getting it diagnosed it is being caused by the fan speed being too high. After doing some research this vehicle has had numerous repairs for the same issue. Why has GM not warranted this!? we have gotten crappy service from the dealership and while our vehicle is out of warranty now it is paid for our we would have gotten rid of it already.

- Charleston, TN, USA

Jun 062007

Trailblazer

My 2004 Trailblazer has been hesitating and stalling for about a year and a half. This occurs daily sometimes several times a day. There are times the vehicle stalls and dies. No one has been able to determine the cause. About six months ago the headlights quit. Since has been repaired. Last week the dash board instruments quit working, fuel guage as well.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Aug 032008

Trailblazer

Our 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer with approx 40,000 miles caught fire while driving approximately 40 mph. We noted smoke behind the car and before we could pull over other drivers were yelling to us that the car was on fire. We immediately got to side of road, turned off engine and a large fire was coming from the hood. A good samaritan ran up with a fire extinguisher and put out the fire that was approx 4 feet high from the hood. All passengers safely exited the car as soon as stopping and due to the fire being extinguished quickly no other damage was done. This vehicle was running fine with no recent issues or service on the vehicle prior to this event. We have never had the car serviced by anyone other then Chevrolet dealerships. We were informed by the tow truck company that they have many 2004 Chevy Trailblazers towed that have caught fire. I have seen similar experiences described online but have not found if there is a technical service bulletin related to this.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Jun 282007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

After coming to a stop the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer ext stalled. I brought it to the santa maria home motors twice. The first time they addressed the problem with the 30,000 mile service and said see if it happens again. The Trailblazer stalled again so they reprogramed the computer and charged me $85 to do this. Today my wife was driving the Trailblazer and it stalled again. Like I have told the service agent at home motors I wa S afraid that this will happen when my wife and children were crossing the train track, and they could be killed by an oncoming train. I will bring the Trailblazer back to the dealer tomorrow.

- Guadalupe, CA, USA

Sep 052006

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have had my trail Blazer for 1 yr and 1 month. In that time I have had to replace front and back pads and rotors, ball joints, catalytic (sp) converter, and now they just told me I have to replace the head gasket on the manifold. What the hell is going on with this vehicle. I no longer feel safe driving it. The other day the radio just stopped playing and then the service 4 wheel drive light came on.

- Oostburg, WI, USA

Dec 162005

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer intermittently stalls out in traffic. It has been to the dealership 5 times for repair, with no results. The dealer has actually been able to reproduce it, and has replaced items, but GM is unable to isolate the problem.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Dec 162005

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

On 5 separate occasions, the engine on my 2004 Trailblazer has stalled while in traffic. 1 time, the engine stalled when I applied the brakes; every other time, the engine stalls while at idle. I have taken it into the dealership repeatedly, and they have been unable to duplicate but not fix the problem. They have replaced the manifold pressure valve and cleaned the throttle plates, but the problem still persists.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Oct 292005

Trailblazer 6-cyl Diesel

The contact state while driving the vehicle stalled without warning. She was able to restart the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealership for inspection. The dealership informed her it was the crank shaft sensor. She contacted the manufacturer, and they informed her that it was due to a defective sensor. No repairs have been made at this time.

- Graham, NC, USA

Jan 142005

Trailblazer 4WD

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. In January, the consumer was on the freeway and the vehicle it lost power. The consumer pulled over and restarted it after sitting for a few minutes. The engine light was still on, so the vehicle was taken to a dealership and it had a defective chip. The problem happened again in may and this past July 4, the consumer was going out of town. The check engine light came on again and the engine was losing power. They called the toll free number and were informed that they would have to wait until after the holiday. When the vehicle was taken in, it was found the oxygen sensor was responding slowly.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Oct 032004

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving 40 mph ABS light and the brake light came on. This caused the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was towed to the consumer's daughter house.

- Carlyle, IL, USA

Sep 072004

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Major electrical problems inside the vehicle. I have owned it less than a year.the vehicle has been in the shop twice in the past two weeks. Exiting the freeway the I had a complete power failure. The vehicle completely stopped and locked up and there was a semi truck behind me! my vehicle was moving and in "drive" when this happened. I had two of my toddlers in the car with me! the vehicle was taken into a local dealer and unfortunately they could not find anything wrong with it. Apparently, when the vehicle is restarted it erases the codes in the engine as to what caused the problem. Well, it happened to me again this evening. Same problem. This will be my 5th time of bringing this vehicle in for electrical problems in less than a year. I only have 9400 miles on the vehicle and bought it brand new. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle with my 5 children as passengers. Is there a way GM can get me a better running vehicle? I paid a lot for this vehicle and am very unsatisfied with it's performace. There always seems to be something wrong with it. The connell Chevrolet service here in killeen has been very helpful. I feel sorry for them because they did not sell me this vehicle but they are the ones nice enough to try and fix the multiple problems.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jun 202004

Trailblazer 6-cyl

On the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts there is a rattling sound (or light knocking) sound coming from the engine. It sounds like noisy lifters. It occurs most of the time, but not all of the time.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Apr 212004

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Engine stalled in traffic and idles rough on startup. Dealer reprogrammed idle control module. Engine surges and shakes under a load from power steering or alterantor. Dealer cleaned throttle body (only 4800 miles) and found large leak at evap vapor pipe. Continued to have problem. Dealership contact GM for help. GM replied that "4.2 liter motors have an inherent vibration at that speed." GM technical assistance also stated "engine surge under is normal under load by design." Car is ticking time bomb for another stall in traffic and daily endangers my family.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 122004

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving vehicle stalled. The consumer restarted vehicle, and had the vehicle towed to the dealer for inspection. The mechanic could not duplicate the problem. The consumer informed the mechanic that this problem occurred more than once. There was no warning.

- Tryon, NC, USA

May 282004

Trailblazer

Vehicle looses power and the engine will not go above 2000 RPM. This is not fast enough to go through an intersection without being hit or side swiped. Provide further details.

- Abilene, TX, USA