Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: It would be ill-advised to blaze any trails with the 2004 Trailblazer. Its faulty fuel gauge could leave you stranded.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 032009

Headlights, rear lights and brakelights bulbs have been replaced several dozen times. They burn up so need replacing. Have replaced full boards in rear lights as well, after several days all go out again and will replace again. I have brought it to the dealership in the past and they have said that certain VIN numbers with same problem have been recalled for this but mine hasn't been recalled yet. Strong smell of gas has started over the past couple months. I am assuming as stated in several other reports it is due to the fuel line having some sort of crack.

- Midlothian , VA, USA

Mar 152013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

After completely filling the gas tank, fuel began heavily pouring out from underneath the vehicle. It appears that there is a leak where the fuel hose (not sure of the exact part names) meets the fuel tank. It seems that this is a manufacturers defect as other complaints pertaining to this issue are very numerous.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Feb 182013

I feel that I'm being treated unfairly, because of a system created by GM, to determine which model Trailblazer vehicles are are selected for recall repair with safety related problems. Even if the problem is the same, in my case. Ie: a faulty fuel tank, that leaks fuel. Today I had my tank tested by a Chevy dealer, who told me I had a cracked tank, where the fuel tank filler-neck connects to the tank. He said it was not covered under the recall, because my model was not a Trailblazer ext. My model is Trailblazer ls. But it has the same unsafe leak, from the same location, as the ext model. My mileage, and year fit the recall, and so does the problem. So! why not the fix" the dealer told me it would cost me $1700 to repair. Why do I have to pay for the same unsafe problem, that others are not" I can show you photos of 3 different Trailblazer models with the same problem. And you could not pick out which one was mine. So why are they only fixing one model..also I'm starting to get a check engine light popping on and off. This could possibly be connected to the fuel tank leak. So now, when I go to emissions testing I'm going to fail. Making me responsible to pay for repairs, that are clearly a defective fuel delivery system.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 232012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

After purchasing this vehicle it was hidden to me that the gas gauge was not working properly. When I brought this to the attention they told me it was too late. I since joined a forum for my truck and found out that there was issues with this type in the past years.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Dec 182012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have a fuel tank leak on my 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer lt, at 112500 miles. After reading reading similar stories online, I have discovered that there was a known issue and a "service bulletin" was put out, but no formal recall. There were only certain VIN numbers that were eligible, but the same parts were used regardless of the VIN. My local Chevy dealer advised that since the vehicle is no longer under warranty, the cost for repair would be $1000-1200. I called Chevrolet customer service, who advised about the bulletin and the fact that I was not eligible. There has to be something that can be done, and it is obvious that defective components were used in the assembly of these vehicles. Chevrolet is willing to step up and help some owners of these vehicles, but not all. Something needs to be done as it relates to this.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Nov 282012

TL- the contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that after refueling, the fuel level indicator provided an inaccurate reading of empty. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic for inspection where they advised him that the fuel service sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 60,000. Kmj

- Harper, CT, USA

Oct 192012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My 2004 Trailblazer suddenly omits a terrible gasoline smell when I start the engine and when I shut the engine off. I had a mechanic look at the vehicle and was told that there is a leak at the gas tank (by a seal) which can only be fixed by replacing the entire gas tank for approx $ 800-$900 for the tank only, not Inc labor. I have purchased my vehicle new in 2004 and it was never in an accident, I am the only driver. I am very concerned about the safety factor, is this a fire hazard" being on a fixed income I am unable to shell out money for a new gas tank at this time. Was there a recall concerning this matter"

- Mesquite, NV, USA

Jun 132012

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact there was a fuel leak underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the fuel sender and pump assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they stated that there was no recall on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Stormville, NY, USA

Sep 262012

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While parked with the engine turned off, the contact smelled an extremely strong odor of fuel inside and outside of the vehicle. The failure occurred immediately after the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent auto mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic noticed fuel continuously leaking from the fuel tank. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Hudson, MI, USA

Jun 082012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Began to smell gas fumes inside the car after filling my 2004 Trailblazer. Noticed it for about 4 weeks then had the oil changed at the dealership where we purchased the car new. They informed us that there was a crack in the top of the fuel tank, where the filler tube is, and would need to replace the tank.

- Wapakoneta, OH, USA

May 212012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Was smelling gas inside and outside of car. Upon inspection discovered the gas tank is leaking. Reading recalls discovered GM is only replacing tanks on vehicles made at certain factories and only in certain geographical areas. With the amount of vehicles affected GM should have to replace them all without discrimination. This vehicle has been nothing but a money pit for me and has been the worse car I ever owned based on repairs required to keep it going.

- Mears, MI, USA