Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: It would be ill-advised to blaze any trails with the 2004 Trailblazer. Its faulty fuel gauge could leave you stranded.

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 172013

The headlights will turn off while the vehicle is in motion for no apparent reason. This has been occuring for several years. You can switch to the high beams and the high beams will work. After about 10 to 15 minutes of driving, you can put the lights back to normal and they will operate on the low beams. It may be a month before this occurs again.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 252014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My complaint is that I contacted Chevy dealer and advised of so many issues I have had with my vehicle since the purchase mainly most recent is the driver signal light will not come on and it was recalled 2004 recall# turn signal 05V198000 in which they advised me that the campaign has expired and therefore mine cannot be replaced. I have already almost had 3 car crashes because the signal is not working. I do not understand why Chevrolet did not replace when it is clear this is life threatening regardless of when the recall was put into force.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 042013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving at night noticed no low beam head lights. Flipped to high beam and they worked. Called a friend who said to check the relay by switching the fan relay with low beam relay. That was problem. Purchased a new relay next day and installed it. 2 days later, no low beam lights again. Popped cover on relays to find a melted mess. Low beam relay had melted along with the 15 amp fuse adjacent to it as well as the fuse box. Upon further research on line, this seems to be an ongoing issue with this vehicle. I'm currently hunting down a used under hood fuse/relay box to replace this one with.

- Carroll, OH, USA

Jul 012006

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Back hatch and window will only open occasionally if I'm lucky. Tail lights went out once and I was able to get the hatch open to fix it. They are out again and I can't get the hatch to open now. I have been replacing head lamps about every 8 to 10 months. Head lights are now going off for no apparent reason while I'm driving at night. I can flip on the brights and then wait a few minutes and flip back to low beams, sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't. the dome lights will not come on and stay on after I turn it off. Half of the dash lights for the radio are out, sometimes they will come on if I tap them. The feature that lets you turn the vehicle off and the radio will continue to play and the windows will still roll down as long as you don't open the door, is not working. Both O2 sensors are out and have been for a long time. I purchased this SUV brand new from a Chevy dealer. I have paid it off and kept up all of the general maintenance on it. When I took it in to get these issues fixed I was told it would be over $2500 to fix and that did not include labor. This SUV is a lemon, if I was in a position to trade it in or buy a new one I would, and I would not be getting another Chevy. I have never been notified of any recalls. I only found out about the electrical recalls on the turn signals and tail lights because a friend had heard about them and suggested a website to check. I'm calling the dealer today to see if I can get these issues taken care of. Another reason I will not be buying Chevy again.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

May 012012

I was driving down the freeway when I noticed my headlights went dark. All the other electrical components worked well (radio and stuff) and the lights came back on about 10 seconds later. The incident has happened a few times, but I can't figure out what is causing it. It's happened on the highway, the street, my driveway when I pull in... usually it lasts about 20 seconds and then the lights come back on. The high beams still seem to work, though.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 192012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

There are a few things. And I just would like to know if there is a recall or possible recall issue at hand. The first thing that happened was the RPM gaudge. It will stick at 3000rpm or higher. But the engine is not over reving and the needle still moves up and down as if it would when reading correctly. But doesn't drop below the 3000rpm. Then it randomly resets and works correctly then will again randomly stick at 3000 empty or higher. The next thing that happens is the battery light will randomly flicker. Not all the time just at random. I had the battery tested and its holding a charge just fine. The weird thing next was I killed the power. No key in at all and it still flickered on my dashboard. Then stopped the next day. Another thing I was driving home 1 night from work. Turned my blinkers on to turn onto my road and my interior lights slowly come on and slowly turn back off. My head light wire on the drivers side burnt out about a yr ago which I replaced. Now I'm having issues with the drivers side. The bulb for my low beam is not blown. If U hit it comes back on. My drivers side speaker has not worked since I purchased my Trailblazer. And it will randomly work. This is recent. I really think there is an electrical problem. And my consent is a fire. Ive had it just under 2 yrs. And I'm only the 2nd owner and it had 34000 miles on it when I bought it in June of 2011.

- North Conway, NH, USA

Jan 052013

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the headlights suddenly failed. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 164,000. The VIN was not available.

- Jasper, AL, USA

Nov 052012

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while inspecting the vehicle, he discovered that the brake lights were not functioning correctly. Upon further investigation, it was determined that the sockets for the lights had become burned. In addition, the passenger side headlight intermittently failed and the socket for the passenger headlight was also found to be burned. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic or the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 96,112.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Mar 062012

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph the driver's side headlight suddendly failed to illuminate. The contact continued to drive. The headlight bulb was replaced by the contact and one month later; the failure recurred with the passenger's side headlight. The defect occurred sporadically and the headlight bulb was replaced each time. The vehicle had not been diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Walker, MN, USA

Apr 212012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the headlights would malfunction sporadically without any warnings. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of this failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 102,340. Updated 09/12/2012

- Hopkins, SC, USA

Jun 022009

Low beam headlights shut off while driving. Highbeams and fogs still work. Problem goes away after vehicle sits turned off. Occurances getting more frequent. Very dangerous.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 242012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Left rear blinker does not turn work. Bulb has been replaced. The when I turn on the blinker it makes a rapid blinking noise.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Oct 132010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

When I first purchased this vehicle I thought I had a great SUV. Little did I know that within the first month of owning it did I make a huge mistake. I am a single mother of 2 kids. I checked out the crash ratings and they were great!! I liked everything about my TB. Looking back, after the 4th problem within that first month. I should have ran away screaming from it, as I do now daily. The lights flicker when you drive at night. The headlights constantly go out. The check gauges light is constantly coming on. The oil pressure gauge drops for no apparent reason. The tach goes crazy. The "bell" for the lights (when you have the keys out and the lights are still on, or when you have the keys in and the drivers door open) works when it wants to. The battery gauge works when it feels like it. The gas gauge hasn't had a problem lately. I am wondering...doesn't all of that constitute as a safety problem"? I have had the lights looked at and am told there isn't anything that can be done..really?" I am going to have to have the gauges looked at now and from what I see it will cost about $600-$800. Where other Chevy vehicles have had this covered under a recall. There are many other problems I've had, the O2 sensor, temp gauge, other lighting issues that I have taken care of but this is getting to be a bit much. I see many others have had this problem. It can't be from normal wear on the vehicle. Please do something about this before someone's family really gets hurt, if they haven't already.

- Unadilla, NY, USA

Jul 062010

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer; while driving on the highway; all gauges, lights, etc. Abruptly stopped working and continue to not work. I researched on line and found it could be what is called the "cluster board". I took my vehicle to a local Chevy dealer in daytona beach fl. They insisted it was the ignition switch. They replaced that mechanism for just under $300. The following week (this occurred in 2010); the exact same situation recurred; so I brought it back to the dealer and they then agreed it was the cluster board which would now cost me close to $700. In order to avoid being ripped off to the tune of almost $1K; I purchased a gps unit so I could at least monitor my speed. The speed/rpms never register correctly; however, so far the other gauges seems to be ok (except for the oil pressure, it goes out of whack frequently so I just bring it in quickly to make sure I have sufficient oil and that it's clear/clean). Most recently my headlights just go out without warning; I am able to use the high beams, but of course that puts me in jeopardy of getting a ticket. There are so many complaints on the 2004 Chevy Trailblazer - I do not understand why there has not been a recall on the cluster board and the electrical issues (lighting). I cannot afford to have all the repairs completed and would like to see Chevrolet take on some responsibility for the cost of these flaws in the manufacturing of this vehicle.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Nov 032011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and the only lights that would function were the fog lights and high beams. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure and the current mileages were 91,000.

- Calumet, IL, USA

Jul 012011

Since purchasing our Blazer, we have replaced both headlight bulbs numerous of times including the sockets for each side. My headlights have been known to work one day and not the next. Or we can simply tap it and it will go out/come on. In the last 3 months I have had the bulb on the driver side replaced twice! we have speculated that the wires are loose but when inspected, that does not seem to be the case. I have had my car at the shop (not Chevy they cost too much) and they have not found anything more than a burnt bulb. Within the last 2 months, I was driving on a road that was not well lit at about 10P when both headlights went out. After pulling over & deciding the only way to make it home was to drive with my flashers on, I continued my way home. Half way home they came back on but before I got home they went out again. How does that happen" again, I would say it's a loose wire, but what are the odds of that on both sides" now, tonight, while my 17 year old son was driving (11P) with 2 friends with him, both headlights went out; but came back on. My lights have been known to flicker, like they are not getting enough power/too much. I have called a local dealer & am told they can run a test to see what they find. That would be great, if I had the cash flow for it; as it's not cheap just for them to "run" the test not fix it...that will cost extra. I am not sure how Chevy feels there is not an issue with the headlights? if you know exactly what my issue is please tell me so that I can have some one I can afford to pay, fix it. Buying bulbs is the least of my worries if that was the only issue. But for both headlights to go out at the same time, that's an issue! I would hope that you, Chevy, realize this is an ongoing issue & really has nothing to do with mileage. The headlights have been an issue since we bought the vehicle.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 012011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My head lights don't come on randomly. Randomly they do. Obviously, this is a serious safety issue especially at night. No, it's not light bulb replacemet issues.....other blog sites have complained about the same issues. Very dangerous!!!! the gas gauge also is not working properly. When the gas gets low it blinks on for a second then adds more gas to the panel. People could run out of gas unknowingly. Also very dangerous!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 012011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked when he attempted to install a child safety seat in the third row seating, but none of the seat belts would successfully tighten and retain the child seat. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The contact also stated that the headlights were experiencing a recurring failure in which they would periodically burn out. Upon examining the headlight housing, the contact noticed that the wires were burned. The contact stated that he replaced each headlight approximately three times. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Clinton, MA, USA

Sep 022011

Driving down highway headlights go out but foglights and high beams work. Headlights come back on after awhile.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 252010

Trailblazer 4WD 8-cyl

Automatic headlights go completely off for no reason, and then will come back on but no apparent reason, leaving you driving completely in the dark. (turning the car off and restarting it does not effect it either.) daytime running lights will also go off. This problem 1st began appr 2 years ago but has become more frequent 3 times a week in the last 6 months. Also the speedometer and tachometer no longer work. They periodically will come back on but has not worked in 2 weeks.

- Orlando, FL, USA